cannastop

WONKA WEEKEND THREAD | $39 million OW for WONKA | Timothee supremacy has arrived!

7 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

@Brainbug So I've finally caught up with Monarch, and yeah, episodes 4 and 5 really are that bad. The 50s storyline is gone, and in its place we have more infuriating drama with the Randa kids. Some of the most boring television I've watched in a while. Both Goji and Monarch feel like afterthoughts in a series that was marketed around them. I'd forgive that if the main kids were compelling, but they just aren't. The ladies especially are pretty unlikable and rather one-note.

Thankfully Episode 6 is a major turnaround, and might be my favourite so far. The 50s storyline returns in full force and is as great as ever. And even the modern-day portion is far better than in previous episodes, mostly because the annoying kids are an afterthought while Kurt Russell takes charge, and there's just far more suspense and excitement here.

Reveal hidden contents

It definitely restored a lot of the interest I had lost. Hopefully this momentum continues to the finish line.

Yeah episodes 4 and 5.It's like hey let's focus on these boring one note young characters  and give  a force of personality like Kurt Russell about 10 minutes of screen time. The bastard half brother/son like was the direction to the actor to be as boring and sad sack and personality free as possible because it worked. Glad to hear episode 6 delivers. Hope it continues.

• Like 1

Thinking about which films next year have the chance to do a billion. Despicable Me 4 is the only film I’m feeling like has a good chance, but there’s a path for Inside Out 2. 

Also wondering which films will just blow past even the most optimistic projections like Barbie and Oppenheimer this year. Beetlejuice 2 seems like the popular candidate.

Edited by AMC Theaters Enjoyer

PostTrak exits are still very good for the Paul King directed Wonka at 4 1/2 stars, 85% in the top boxes and 64% definite recommend. Kids under 12 gave it 87% positive and a 70% definite recommend, but parents gave it 5 stars which means they’ll tell other parents who’ll spend money to get their kids out of the house in the near future. More females on this Timothee Chalamet movie at 54% which isn’t a surprise with 60% of the audience between 18-34 and the largest demo being 18-24 at 33% with 10% between 13-17. Diversity demos are 46% Caucasian, 27% Latino and Hispanic, 10% Black and 11% Asian American. PLF and Imax screen are only driving 35% of the weekend’s ticket sales, which is no surprise for a family title. Wonka is the sweetest in the West, South Central and Mountain Regions. Top grossing theater in the nation? Not the tried and true AMC Burbank, but the Jordan Commons in Utah with $62K so far. 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

@Brainbug So I've finally caught up with Monarch, and yeah, episodes 4 and 5 really are that bad. The 50s storyline is gone, and in its place we have more infuriating drama with the Randa kids. Some of the most boring television I've watched in a while. Both Goji and Monarch feel like afterthoughts in a series that was marketed around them. I'd forgive that if the main kids were compelling, but they just aren't. The ladies especially are pretty unlikable and rather one-note.

Thankfully Episode 6 is a major turnaround, and might be my favourite so far. The 50s storyline returns in full force and is as great as ever. And even the modern-day portion is far better than in previous episodes, mostly because the annoying kids are an afterthought while Kurt Russell takes charge, and there's just far more suspense and excitement here.

Reveal hidden contents

It definitely restored a lot of the interest I had lost. Hopefully this momentum continues to the finish line.

Yep, pretty much agree with this. Episode 6 was really good and gave me above all a sense of progression in the overall story that ive sorely missed especially in Episode 5. I hope they can keep this quality for the rest of the series. My biggest complaint with the story so far is

Spoiler

the characterization of the 2015 main three characters and the whole love story drama. Its so boring and especially annoying for me, since i DONT watch a show that is titled "Legacy of Monsters" for a boring-ass love drama. No thank you.

But despite that one grievance, with Episode 6 included, i still like the show a lot and i especially enjoy Kurt Russels character. i think it shows that hes had a lot of fun portraying Shaw. And yeah, 1950s story rules and is the best part of the show so far.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

TOO EARLY TOP 5 

1. WONKA ($40M)

2. HUNGER GAMES ($6M)

3. THE BOY AND THE HERON ($5.5M)

4. GODZILLA -1 ($5.3M)

5. TROLLS ($3.5M)

A sub-60% drop for Boy and the Heron would be nice, it would at least increase the chances of it holding onto a wide release through Christmas.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Thinking about which films next year have the chance to do a billion. Despicable Me 4 is the only film I’m feeling like has a good chance, but there’s a path for Inside Out 2. 

Also wondering which films will just blow past even the most optimistic projections like Barbie and Oppenheimer this year. Beetlejuice 2 seems like the popular candidate.

That and Gladiator.

12 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Top grossing theater in the nation? Not the tried and true AMC Burbank, but the Jordan Commons in Utah with $62K so far. 

Not Saying Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Thats a 41% drop from last Friday. The first "normal" drop so to speak, still its a little bummer, ive hoped for 1,5M+

That beeind said, the movie will cross a x3 multiplier this weekend, so really, theres nothing to complain.

• Like 1