cannastop

WONKA WEEKEND THREAD | $39 million OW for WONKA | Timothee supremacy has arrived!

7 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I think there's levels of musicals - there's stuff like Barbie, Frozen, Encanto which despite having a few songs would not fall under what people think of as "musicals" and then there's the sung-through musicals. The first one audiences are pretty much okay with for the most part, it's the second one where there's pretty much no dialogue that general audiences have issues with.

I could maybe see your argument for Barbie but I cannot see the argument that Encanto and Frozen are not musicals.

• Like 3

W

32 minutes ago, Scubasteve716 said:

I feel like I'm going crazy seeing the amount of comments acting like Wonka having songs was some big surprise. Have people not seen the first 2? 

Exactly Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and the original Willy Wonka were all musicals

12 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I could maybe see your argument for Barbie but I cannot see the argument that Encanto and Frozen are not musicals.

My distinction is whether plot details are only in song or in dialogue. Like if we remove the songs from Frozen, we lose very little of the plot since it's explained in dialogue a number of times. And the songs stop in the third act pretty much. It's why Bollywood movies with 6+ songs aren't classified as musicals.

22 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I think there's levels of musicals - there's stuff like Barbie, Frozen, Encanto which despite having a few songs would not fall under what people think of as "musicals" and then there's the sung-through musicals. The first one audiences are pretty much okay with for the most part, it's the second one where there's pretty much no dialogue that general audiences have issues with.

I do remember people being hyped for Les Mis and then being pissed when they saw it that most of it is sung. I’ve always thought that was hilarious, like I guess said people just liked hopping on the hype train without actually knowing much about it lmao. 

• Like 1

Again, I think “tricking” the audience that is convinced they’ll hate a musical isn’t necessarily the worst idea. I have tricked/bribed plenty of friends/family into watching something they had a set perception of I was certain they would actually like and then they do.

I think if studios feel confident it’s a crowd pleaser, but not obvious its a musical and don’t want to alienate anyone, they could go that route. Only if it is a full blown dialogue light musical musical like Les Mis, then yeah those people gonna be pissed. Also, Wonka had very little ties to the OF in the marketing, which has already been discussed. So yeah it’s possible people don’t know it’s a musical or tied to that. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, grim22 said:

My distinction is whether plot details are only in song or in dialogue. Like if we remove the songs from Frozen, we lose very little of the plot since it's explained in dialogue a number of times. And the songs stop in the third act pretty much. It's why Bollywood movies with 6+ songs aren't classified as musicals.

Hi! Professor of Musical Theatre here!

That's not the definition of a musical. :) Most musicals have a mixture of plot delivered in dialogue driven scenes AND in songs. 

Also! You mention Frozen since if you "remove the songs from Frozen, we lose very little of the plot." Don't worry about the plot! Dozens and dozens of famous musicals don't even use their songs to communicate plot, but character! For instance, "Being Alive" in Company doesn't communicate plot, but it absolutely communicates what is happening internally with the character. In the same way in Frozen, "Let It Go" is all about a character evolution. Still a musical!

• Like 11

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

I do remember people being hyped for Les Mis and then being pissed when they saw it that most of it is sung. I’ve always thought that was hilarious, like I guess said people just liked hopping on the hype train without actually knowing much about it lmao. 

To be fair to those people, Les Mis is also a book, which perhaps they thought the movie was adapting.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kon said:

I don't think Saturday numbers being the same than first Friday (which include Thursday previews) is really bad

That said, I'm not an expert.

Not bad. Just nothing extraordinary.

15M means just +38% from pure Friday. I was expecting 16-17M.

Into the Spider-Verse +41%

Jumanji Next Level +57%.

Could be signs it's not performing on par with those, but heck, my expectation is 300-400M so can't really blame the movie for it 🤪

Edited by nguyenkhoi282
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, dallas said:

The way he phrased it though made it seem like there were too many right wing propaganda successes this year, when the only movie that really fits that mold is Sound of Freedom. 

Thank You! But hey I guess I had to be ganged up on for reading it that way. 

Edited by emoviefan
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, aarav said:

@charlie Jatinder

Before the pandemic, Indian films, with the exception of Bahubali Part 2, typically earned around 8 million in the US. However, in the post-pandemic era, it seems that all major Indian films are now grossing upwards of 15 million with a ceiling of around 20 million (Pathaan, Jawan, Animal, Leo and now Dunki looks to be going above 15 million, even a drivel like Rocky aur Rani earned 10 million). What could account for this change? It's not as if the number of Indian migrants has suddenly increased; in fact, migration has decreased due to the heightened difficulty in obtaining US visas. One plausible explanation could be that Indian migrants, who are predominantly employed in the software and big tech sectors, have the highest income among various immigrant groups in the US. The increased disposable income of this demographic may be contributing to the success of Indian films at the US box office. Nevertheless, it's important to note that individuals from India were already working in high-paying jobs before the pandemic. So, what has transpired during the pandemic to prompt these same individuals to spend more money on watching Indian films?

Do we have demo breakdown that either indicates only Indian audience shows up for them or that Indian movies are now drawing other demos that didn't before? Cause if the latter is the case than that's the reason for boxoffice growth. During the pandemic, there was a spike in interest in foreign movies and shows on streamers such as Netflix. I remember that RRR was a big hit. So perhaps with the end of the pandemic some of that non-Indian audience kept the habit and now watches Indian movies in cinemas? 

Edited by Valonqar

people have problems with musicals cause it's like listening to an album for the first time. Usually you get bored after half of it and every song seems at some point all the same. 

For example: when you see Grease for the first time even if you don't know anything about the movie you basically know 8/10 songs cause they are so popular, so "everyone" likes that. 

I saw with my brother Mary Poppins 2 and he told me songs were all the same and boring, we watched The greatest last year and he enjoyed it cause he knew almost every song (this is me here has been for 2 year in the ads of a mobile company, so basically on tv every 10 minutes. Another song is on a popular biscuits tv ad, another one has been popular on radios etc...)

When someone tells you the movie is good and fun you think ok so it's not boring and even if it's a musical i'm gonna watch it. This is why then usually is actually a genre with very good WOM and not frontloaded a lot.

I mean it's not a genre only for specific nerds of the genre, actually can be very GP loved, but I understand the studios point: you need people to going to watch it to create the WOM. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

What if Flash was the greatest superhero movie of all time and the only reason it isn't winning best picture is that no-one saw it?

:hahaha::hahaha::hahaha:

I unironically believe that WB top brass believes it. They told us it was testing better than TDK. That's Best Picture material right there.