cannastop

WONKA WEEKEND THREAD | $39 million OW for WONKA | Timothee supremacy has arrived!

4 hours ago, Arlborn said:

I’m just going by the WOM out of Europe and out of a couple of my friends who have seen it over here and loved it.

89% now. Safe to say there are some initial dissatisfaction among fans but among GA, the movie is fantastic. 

Like how I emphasis, if you are expecting a great Willy wonka prequel, wonka is a failure. But if you are expecting a four-quadrant feel good adventure, wonka is a perfect fit. 

I would have to see if the posttrak improve from its 84% over the weekend to examine if the WOM strength among GA is really as strong as anecdotal proof.

27 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

But neither PostTrak are any better at 84% so far. The only great part is kids give it a 5 star. 

parents and kids not just kids. That's not a crazy result or anything (kids are notoriously easy graders) but it's at least 2 correlated pieces of good news. Yeah, people are sleeping on the softness of these numbers. 

I'll keep things brief, because I know people hate me bringing this NTC stuff up for some reason. I even made a point to say that Color Purple doesn't really fit in the same way as Barbie or Little Mermaid since, yes indeed, Celie and Mister toys aren't being sold. So yes, it's not actually an NTC. But I mean, if you don't think Color Purple wasn't greenlit because of the popularity and fond memories people have over the classic Spielberg movie and think they aren't trying to get older viewers' attention by selling them something they are familiar with when they were younger...well, I wish I was you. I really, sincerely do.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, joselowe said:

FYI for those complaining WB is clearly marketing The Color Purple as a musical and it’s likely going to either win December or be a close 2nd domestically. Musicals sell it’s just a matter of marketing to the audience they are trying to reach.

But everyone knows TCP is a musical already, so that’s much different. It’s like Wicked, they have no choice but to market it that way. 

Edited by MovieMan89

Also, just a heads up if anyone expects Wonka must have 95%+ RT audience or something to indicate great WOM: modern live action holiday low opening leg juggernauts like Jumanji 2 and TGS have RT audience “only” in the mid 80s range. Jumanji was an A- CS, though TGS did manage the coveted A

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Also, just a heads up if anyone expects Wonka must have 95%+ RT audience or something to indicate great WOM: modern live action holiday low opening leg juggernauts like Jumanji 2 and TGS have RT audience “only” in the mid 80s range. Jumanji was an A- CS, though TGS did manage the coveted A

Plenty of films have "wrong" audience metrics when compared to box office results. This just isn't proof of that. The core problem is that neither TGS nor Jumanji: Reboot have "RT audience scores" at all because by that we mean "verified" audience scores. it makes more sense to just drop pre-2019 RT audience scores and openly just embrace IMDb scores which was a more popular platform for measuring the same thing.

sounds like Jumanji and TGS would have gotten low to mid 90s scores with verified scores. But I agree that in and of itself doesn't prove anything.

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

10 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Plenty of films have "wrong" audience metrics when compared to box office results. This just isn't proof of that. The core problem is that neither TGS nor Jumanji: Reboot have "RT audience scores" at all because by that we mean "verified" audience scores. it makes more sense to just drop pre-2019 RT audience scores and openly just embrace IMDb scores which was a more popular platform for measuring the same thing.

sounds like Jumanji and TGS would have gotten low to mid 90s scores with verified scores. But I agree that in and of itself doesn't prove anything.

Well IMDb had never been a good metric for family aimed stuff like this, and as expected the scores for those movies are pretty low over there. 

Edit: Wow, the Letterboxd scores for those two are really bad, though I had personally never heard of Letterboxd back when either of those came out 

Edited by MovieMan89

31 minutes ago, Eric Wonka said:

I'll keep things brief, because I know people hate me bringing this NTC stuff up for some reason. I even made a point to say that Color Purple doesn't really fit in the same way as Barbie or Little Mermaid since, yes indeed, Celie and Mister toys aren't being sold. So yes, it's not actually an NTC. But I mean, if you don't think Color Purple wasn't greenlit because of the popularity and fond memories people have over the classic Spielberg movie and think they aren't trying to get older viewers' attention by selling them something they are familiar with when they were younger...well, I wish I was you. I really, sincerely do.

Because people are so nostalgic and eager to revisit the times of Jim Crow, publicly accepted spousal abuse, etc.

This was marketed and sold as a cinematic interpretation of the musical adaptation of the novel and the first time the novel was adapted for film by a person of color.

I think you're stretching the use of nostalgia very wide here to the point of meaninglessness 

• Like 9

FRIDAY AFTERNOON: Warner Bros.’ Wonka is looking at a $12M-$13M Friday, including those $3.5M previews from last night, on its way to a $35M+ start at 4,203 locations. That’s a respectable opening for this time of year when moviegoers are still sidelined by holiday activities, and it’s a solid start for a feature musical, currently head of the 3-day of 2008’s Mamma Mia! ($27.7M) and Hairspray ($27.8M), in fact after such musical missteps as In the Heights ($11.5M), West Side Story ($10.5M) and Dear Evan Hansen ($7.4M), Wonka is definite comeback for feature musicals.

Social Media analytics corp RelishMix reports a social media universe for the Timothee Chalamet movie across X, Facebook, TikTok, YouTube and Instagram of 326.4M, boosted by a dedicated TikTok channel plus 55% of engagement on YouTube videos. That SMU is higher than such movies as Mary Poppins Returns (229.4M), yet below Cruella (424.7M).

The rest of the top pics are as follows

2.) Hunger Games: Songbirds & Snakes (LG)  3,291 theaters, Fri $1.65M (-37%), 3-day $6M (-35%), total $145.4M/Wk 5

3.) Boy and the Heron (GKIDs) 2,325 theaters, Fri $1.2M (-79%), 3-day $4.7M (-64%), Total $22.8M/Wk 2

4.) Godzilla Minus One (Toho) 2,622 theaters, Fri $1.2M (-45%), 3day $4.4M (-48%), Total $33.7M/Wk 3

5) Trolls Band Together (Uni/DWA) 3,154 theaters, Friday $900K, 3-day $4M (-34%) Total $88.7M/Wk 5

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Godzilla-sad.jpg

Lets hope Deadline is a bit off here.

They had it dropping 60%+ in their initial Friday report last week and in reality it dropped 25% fwiw. 

Edit: or about 50% iirc, I know their Fri was 1.8m vs 2.3 it actually did. 

Edited by MovieMan89