Issac Newton

Christmas Weekend Thread | Xmas Day #s - Purple 18.1, Aqua 10.6, Wonka 10.3, Boys 5.7, Migration 5.4, Ferrari 2.9 | #BlackGirlMagic dominates the charts

2 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

You're working off the assumption that hiring Gunn is surely going to pay off dividends for DC... which doesn't seem to be a lock considering he has the same strategy as DC 2023 of pushing obscure D-List characters (including stuffing his Superman movie with them)

Also, announcing the reboot right on the MONDAY AFTER BLACK ADAM'S OW is probably the dumbest decision ever seeing how it immediately crippled THAT movie's legs too. Considering the hit piece published in The Wrap against Dwayne Johnson, the timing stinks of corporate politics too.

I'm not convinced they didn't go about doing this in one of the worst possible ways.

I'm not presuming anything of the sort. This could all easily blow up in WB's face. I was simply noting that ripping off the bandaid was probably the least bad option available.

Maybe waiting two or three weeks to announce Gunn's hire would have been more prudent for Black Adam's run.  But given how leaky Hollywood is, I'm not convinced having rumors swirling about how the DCEU was on a death bed and then folks running back and forth between WB's camp and The Rock's camp would have been that much better.  Especially considering the near public feuding the two camps were doing in the Trades at the time, as you note.

Not actually hire Gunn for another month or so?  I'd have to look back at the timing to see when he was officially hired and when he was "soft" hired, but every day that passes between deciding to make a MAJOR COMPANY DEFINING SHIFT like that one and actually announcing said shift is a day for it to all fall apart.  

Remember, I'm not saying it was handled well.  I'm saying that it couldn't be handled well and it's all down to which tradeoffs one wants to go for.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, dallas said:

This literally didn't happen. Gunn didn't announce the reboot until December. 

So I decided to go back and play the tape.

I think @Spidey Freak might be conflating two separate stories here.

The announcement of the "ten year plan" in August and the hiring of Gunn in October.

As I scan the THR report of Gunn's hire, there isn't a word about rebooting the DCEU in it.  Is commentary about the "10 year plan", yes.  Rebooting the DCEU?  Nope.  Not in the very first announcements at least.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I'm not presuming anything of the sort. This could all easily blow up in WB's face. I was simply noting that ripping off the bandaid was probably the least bad option available.

Maybe waiting two or three weeks to announce Gunn's hire would have been more prudent for Black Adam's run.  But given how leaky Hollywood is, I'm not convinced having rumors swirling about how the DCEU was on a death bed and then folks running back and forth between WB's camp and The Rock's camp would have been that much better.  Especially considering the near public feuding the two camps were doing in the Trades at the time, as you note.

Not actually hire Gunn for another month or so?  I'd have to look back at the timing to see when he was officially hired and when he was "soft" hired, but every day that passes between deciding to make a MAJOR COMPANY DEFINING SHIFT like that one and actually announcing said shift is a day for it to all fall apart.  

Remember, I'm not saying it was handled well.  I'm saying that it couldn't be handled well and it's all down to which tradeoffs one wants to go for.

I agree but I would not have delayed so many movies from 2022 release as originally planned with reboot being in the mind. Of course Black Adam being not so successful accelerated the timeline. 

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

I agree but I would not have delayed so many movies from 2022 release as originally planned with reboot being in the mind. Of course Black Adam being not so successful accelerated the timeline. 

I mean, the movies were delayed because they weren't finished. Imagine if The Flash kept its 2022 release, its CGI would be even worse. And without its reshoots and reworks, Aquaman probably would've gotten like a B- Cinemascore. The only DCEU movie this year that could've feasibly released in 2022 was Shazam 2, and let's not pretend it would've made a huge difference. 

On 12/22/2023 at 7:13 PM, Krissykins said:

Well last year Babylon got a C+ and did 5.1x

Whitney got an A and did just a bit less, at 5x 

So my guess answer would be… absolutely nothing 😅

Last year that whole Christmas weekend was a disaster because half of the USA was on lockdown due to the historic winter storm.  My guess is those multipliers of 5x are a little bit better due to the opening weekend being very weakened.

Edited by wboxoffice
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

On 12/22/2023 at 11:41 AM, Cmasterclay said:

Impossible to draw any historical IM comps from this exact weekend layout because last time it happened was in 2006 and that might as well be ancient history, plus films released on Wednesday the 21st and a couple limited expansions on Christmas Day but that's it. That said, even nuclear grade bombs like Whitney Houston and Babylon managed 5x and 4.25x last year. If Iron Claw manages even 4m, it could get to 20m, and Anyone But You could easily hit 35-40 from 8m. That'd be very solid.

Last year half of the USA was on lockdown on Christmas weekend due to the historic mega winter storm, even Puss in Boots and Avatar 2 were hurt big time that weekend.  That being said Whitney & Babylon still did around 60 million worldwide.  Bayblon had a huge budget but for Whitney it was far from "nuclear bomb".

12 hours ago, LonePirate said:

Attended a matinee showing of Poor Things. It’s a mixed bag for me. Once you accept the central premise of the movie as being possible in this cinematic universe, there are some entertaining and funny moments. On the flip side, some of it is simply too absurd and too prurient to serve any purpose. Then there was the clerical error of mixing up God and Goat on the last scene. Stone was terrific throughout as she fully committed to the role in every regard.

Oh come on man, no spoilers please, most of us won’t see the movie until February and i now i know portion of the ending

The panic here is a bit overblown i think. It makes total sense that this day would be relatively weak for a Saturday, its the day before Christmas Eve, people will be going shopping for last-minute presents, they will be on their way to their familys etc.

Next week is where the big money will be made.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

In 2017 The Last Jedi had a better 3 day multiplier than Greatest Showman, so you really can't jump to any hasty conclusions from this weekend. Embrace the boredom and uncertainty.

In what possible way are you mathing to come to that conclusion?