Issac Newton

Christmas Weekend Thread | Xmas Day #s - Purple 18.1, Aqua 10.6, Wonka 10.3, Boys 5.7, Migration 5.4, Ferrari 2.9 | #BlackGirlMagic dominates the charts

25 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

this is some really lazy math, but here it goes

that's roughly 60% of what A cinemascore oscar buzzed musical les miserables did on its 2nd day, if from now on it keeps on doing 60% of les miserables then it'll end in the 90s

sure there's no competition in January in February, and MLK day,  but 100 seems missable 

Two musicals in one season seem too much for theaters. That being said, American underdog (A+ cinemascore) also suffered big 60% drop on Boxing Day. If legs hold like AU, TCP would still get to 114m. 

Edited by Borobudur
  • Disbelief 1

2 hours ago, Mulder said:

Not...really? Like their big movie was still #1 in multiple markets and Top 10 in more. Streaming doesn't really operate on this kind of basis.

I´m mostly joking. I mean, i do think they were probably expecting that Rebel Moon would dominate the conversation like many other christmas releases from them did, but i know it doesn´t really matter for their numbers if some other movie from other platform dominate the conversation.

• Like 1

Iron Claw is some good stuff. Hoping Efron can sneak into that 5th spot Best Actor nomination, even though I wouldn’t bet on it happening.

Hope more people turn out for it. Would love to see 30M+ for it.

• Like 2

Looks promising for what is hopefully the real start of the crazy Wonka/Migration legs.

That is ICK for TCP, imma need that number to not be real. But I guess the pre-sales we were seeing with such extreme drop off after CD werent just a pre-sales anomaly. Really hope it manages to bounce back and get near Les Mis. 

10 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

The Marvels is gone, and Wish just made $1.1m last weekend. Disney had an especially catastrophic Nov this year.

I mean by its name alone, "Wish" is a movie designed to attract Christmas season crowd but it went completely  opposite. Come to think of it, it is the lowest grossing studio animation post-Summer, Wish can't even top Paw Patrol. 

16 hours ago, JustLurking said:

If they do - could just as easily turn into another Woman King where non-black demos just don't show up and that had even better reviews and audience reception...

If the non-black % come to more reasonable level like 50%, the OD would have been 22-23m, more in line with what presale tracking thread looking. Probably this explain why many are surprised by the great presale because the buzz simply didn't spread that wide beyond its core target audience. 

8 hours ago, Johnny Tran said:

Aquaman 2 is a 'disaster' and yet will not be in the top 3 disasters of 2023.  What does that say? 

2023 is full of Alice in the wonderland 2 moment. The Marvels, Dial of Destiny, and now Aquaman, all collapsed to dust. But it is also a good year for flop movie as the "crowded" flop year save each other from total embarrassment, See how people WB orchestrated the best SH event since TDK, helmed by Tom Cruise and Stephen King, only to crash and burn like the biggest joke of the year. But people quickly move on to Marvels epic disaster, only to be distracted by Aquaman once again.    

42 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

If the non-black % come to more reasonable level like 50%, the OD would have been 22-23m, more in line with what presale tracking thread looking. Probably this explain why many are surprised by the great presale because the buzz simply didn't spread that wide beyond its core target audience. 

Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel the legs for TCP would be hurt by the lack of interest from younger audience.

The audience under 25 years old is only 18% (14% female and 4% male).

11 hours ago, Porthos said:

But I intentionally curated that list to remove massive over-performers (SMB, BarbieOppenheimer, FNAF), things that did better than expected/did pretty well after all (TLM, Wick 4, RotB)

I don't understand this narrative where The little mermaid did well but Mission Impossible DR P1, which had the exact same WW gross and roughly the same budget (TLM's 250 M is a low estimate) was an epic bomb. Both were disappointments coming from 1B expectation and both didn't earn well enough to recoup their budget (Though TLM was expected to break even with ancillaries like toy sales, but it should be verified if that was actually the case since, as far as I know, the international merch sales were disastrous).  

They didn't totally collapse and earned well enough for the theatres chains which is a great thing in itself though.

Edited by ThePrinceIsOnFire
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

I don't understand this narrative where The little mermaid did well but Mission Impossible DR P1, which had the exact same WW gross and roughly the same budget (TLM's 250 M is a low estimate) was an epic bomb. Both were disappointments coming from 1B expectation and both didn't earn well enough to recoup their budget (Though TLM was expected to break even with ancillaries like toy sales, but it should be verified if that was actually the case since, as far as I know, the international merch sales were disastrous).  

They didn't totally collapse and earned well enough for the theatres chains which is a great thing in itself though.

Movies make their biggest share in the domestic market, where mermaid did $120m more than mission. Add in to that the much greater merchandising opportunities for the Disney film and it's not hard to see where the theoretical shortfall is for MI7. 

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

It's because many people expected the success of Top Gun Maverick to extend onto MI:DR1, which was an unrealistic thing to expect.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

I thought TCP didnt have Tuesday discounts while the other films have. That might explain the Tuesday gross.

That would just mean TCP didn't receive Tuesday discount boost (unlike other movies). It isn't really a explanation for Tuesday gross.

That said, I didn't know Tuesday discount didn't apply to TCP. Is it due to the premier being Monday?

6 hours ago, dallas said:

I mean, yeah, but TLJ also released a week earlier than Aquaman and had a much, much higher opening which will obviously lead to higher drop offs. I don't think it's a very good comparison at all. 

I was referencing that TLJ as more of a worst case scenario. That Aquaman 2 opened more recently could mean it falls off a bit faster this week as it loses the "new movie smell" (which TLJ had already done, but WOM was dragging it down. Something like 3.5x Boxing Day is about the floor, and that's still $75M+, so. I'd take the over on getting to $80M through NYD

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Movies make their biggest share in the domestic market, where mermaid did $120m more than mission. Add in to that the much greater merchandising opportunities for the Disney film and it's not hard to see where the theoretical shortfall is for MI7. 

But then again, Mission Impossible, much like the Bond saga, is a product placement heaven, with sponsorship deals with car, watches, suits brands, while there is no such thing in The Little Mermaid. And while movies do make their biggest share in the domestic market, Mission Impossible had deals with multiple foreign governments due to the locations being spread out basically worldwide (LM was shot in UK  studios and Italy, but MI had Uk, Italy, Abu Dhabi, Norway).

Deadline itself commented on both movies being disappointment, and if you go looking at imdb 2023 top movies recap they say that TLM was a box office disappointment. Only in this forum it is still being considered a good performance.