Issac Newton

Christmas Weekend Thread | Xmas Day #s - Purple 18.1, Aqua 10.6, Wonka 10.3, Boys 5.7, Migration 5.4, Ferrari 2.9 | #BlackGirlMagic dominates the charts

the color purple is about to be a WOM storm we haven’t seen maybe all year. i went in knowing it would good but fantasia is fucking unreal in this. 

haven’t seen a crowd this engaged in a very long time at the theaters. if OD really is 16, i think this has a shot at around 200+ domestic. 

Edited by RyneOh1040
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, RyneOh1040 said:

the color purple is about to be a WOM storm we haven’t seen maybe all year. i went in knowing it would good but fantasia is fucking unreal in this. 

haven’t seen a crowd this engaged in a very long time at the theaters. if OD really is 16, i think this has a shot at around 200+ domestic. 

I would be emotional if Fantasia wins the Oscar. Would love to see her become the frontrunner 

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, Poseidon said:

I don't get it. 

14 years ago, top 4 movies pulled $70m on CD with WAY lower ATP. Shows are selling out left and right, and still the Top movies only generate barely $50m in 2023? 

Jesus, even Into the Woods smashed $15m on CD. TCP looked so much bigger...

I think we have a huge shift from matinee and late shows to only the prime time showtimes, I have no other explanantion. 

Just seems like the old magical days of BO wonder are past us. 

And yes, $16m is still great. 

2009 was an anomaly due to Avatar, as well as Christmas Day falling on a Friday. the top 4 movies in 2008 generate $43m, and in 2010 $35m. $70m was never the baseline. I'd imagine everything was selling out in 2009.

47 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

On a sidenote, The Boys in the Boat got an A Cinemascore. Seems like a big split between critics and the audience on that one.

Because it's being treated as Oscar Bait by critics, whereas audiences don't watch the movie with that baggage because they don't care about the Oscars.

1 hour ago, Bob Train said:

2009 was an anomaly due to Avatar, as well as Christmas Day falling on a Friday. the top 4 movies in 2008 generate $43m, and in 2010 $35m. $70m was never the baseline. I'd imagine everything was selling out in 2009.

Trying to get tickets for Sherlock was bonkers that day 😂 I ultimately don't recall if it was that or Avatar that we watched (saw both that weekend on different days.) Such. Busy season that truly hasnt been repeated. But then again, the same could be said about 2009 as a whole. That year was like the final bit of the old ways and it all changed after that. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Just to be clear I never said TCP is gonna miss 100, I am just saying it is possible.

I gotta be honest, I don't get why you'd even bring this up before Cinemascore was up. 

• Like 2

It’s fun being in a different country (and time zone) for the holidays, waking up to all the wild BO news. Happy for Boys in the Boat, and still really happy for TCP, even if my fears (and what we’ve been saying over and over in tracking thread, we did warn ya!!) about capacity in specific theaters were materialized.

Do think we’ll see spillover because of that, bur also I agree with the point made that not everyone has weekdays off for the holidays (and there is certainly socioeconomic correlation about who DOES have them off), so I wouldn’t be surprised to see stronger weekends for this one specifically, over say Boys in the Boat or Wonka

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mulder said:

I gotta be honest, I don't get why you'd even bring this up before Cinemascore was up. 

To be fair, he only mentioned that in this thread after another member said it was impossible TCP wouldn't reach 100M DOM.

So, you should complaint to that member for bringing this up  before Cinemascore was up.

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

Following The Last Jedi's daily holds would get it to 125m. It should fall off faster but can still land in the 110s.

Why would it fall faster than TLJ? That movie had some pretty bad holiday legs. Aquaman has mixed WOM but it's much smaller OW should allow it to have better legs than TLJ imo.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kon said:

To be fair, he only mentioned that in this thread after another member said it was impossible TCP wouldn't reach 100M DOM.

So, you should complaint to that member for bringing this up  before Cinemascore was up.

The quote Charlie specifically made was in response to Clay's reasonable explanation that it was to pre-emptively shut up people who've been weird in the tracking thread, who Charlie proceeded to defend and then say it could miss 100 without any sign of that.