Borobudur

Christmas-New Year Weekdays Thread (12/26-28)

8 hours ago, ban1o said:

Cinema score is based on opening night. Not opening weekend. 

I also think the comparison to twilight and After is ridiculous lmao. 

The comparison to twilight and After is not mine, they were used as comps to project the opening as they share the same target audience. They are not the same kind of movie obviously, though Hunger Games BOSS cinematography is very twilight-esque.

4 hours ago, AniNate said:

Inside Out, for a serious answer

How so? What am I missing here? Inside Out is the Oppenheimer to JW's Barbie (even though they didn't open the same week). It's not the Mission Impossible in that year, because there was no second movie making close to a billion. Inside Out WAS that second movie. Avengers was basically at the end of its run then, so it's not a comparable situation.

21 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

It's cause she's got the character arc and he's just there to be a dream boy.

Although this is true, I don't think that the acting well between them was so different that one deserved a nomination while the other didn't

45 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

How so? What am I missing here? Inside Out is the Oppenheimer to JW's Barbie (even though they didn't open the same week). It's not the Mission Impossible in that year, because there was no second movie making close to a billion. Inside Out WAS that second movie. Avengers was basically at the end of its run then, so it's not a comparable situation.

Probably counting Minions as the other >$1 billion film, though that was released 3 weeks after Inside Out.

2 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

Probably counting Minions as the other >$1 billion film, though that was released 3 weeks after Inside Out.

Right. Which would also be a month after JW. There hasn't been anything like Barbenheimer. Only things that compare in terms of sheer opening numbers (or even combined performance over the weeks) for those two combined would be Infinity War, Force Awakens and No Way Home. Two of them are Christmas releases so anything that might have done well releasing a week before would have the holidays to help out and that still didn't happen. Same for IW. And that's because no one was silly enough to open a 300 million action movie a week before those movies, even when Christmas was going to help out. 

No one expected Barbenheimer to be quite THAT big until very close to release. There's some obvious issues with the bad title, maybe a bit of fatigue, smaller headline stunt than the previous 3 movies etc, but that release date killed Dead Reckoning. Doing what it did in terms of overall box office when a week later it got steam rolled by the equivalent of a 245 million opener, 950 domestic, 2.4 billion ww phenom (which took all premium formats, and ended up capturing a broad swath of demos because of just how different the movies were, thereby combining into a proper 4-quad), without Christmas holidays to give it a hand for a couple of weeks... It's still significant in this summer of mega-bombs. Had it gone with the Ghost Protocol release pattern, and with everything else out now, I think we're talking another 150-200 million WW.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

TCP 4

👀⁉️

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
my sub 100 million prediction lives

11 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

TCP 4

Wonka 8.1

Migration 6.2

Aquabro 5.9

Yikes to TCP. Is it because it’s not really a family film and the primary demographic went back to work? The weekend will be the real test.

• Like 1

Just now, JustLurking said:

sure is feeling like TCP is Ali 2.0 :sadfleck:

More like The Woman King, b/c it's not breaking out from 25+ Black women, no matter how good it is...here, I was hoping that group would at least drag their families and friends, but that dragging seems limited (the 25 and under males number was a big warning sign that it was mom and grandma without the grandkids)...

Not sure how they can advertise it into this weekend to try and break that cycle.  But some marketer needs to come up with something...

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

TCP 4

Wonka 8.1

Migration 6.2

Aquabro 5.9

Yeah, Wonka's winning the month in America too, not just overseas. I'll have to eat crow, as I seriously thought Colour Purple would win looking at the early presales. @charlie Jatinder saw it coming early, so props to him. I guess the big black communities all saw it on Christmas Day and nobody else showed up afterwards.

• Like 3