Kon

NEW YEAR weekend

14 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Well that’s certainly an interesting bit from him because it makes it sound like every sequel/reboot/IP he’s done has been driven by money and not an actual vision or want for him to do it. And he holds Nightmare too dear to let that happen to it. Not exactly a  promising sentiment for Beetlejuice 2 quality then… 

IIRC Burton mentioned in an interview he only did Alice in Wonderland because it was the only way Disney would greenlight his Frankenweenie movie. Or I think it was he would do Planet of the Apes and then Big Fish could get made? One of the two, I remember that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

I think people are gonna be blown away when the first Beetlejuice trailer drops and it gets like 40m views on YouTube and 100m on Twitter with tons of buzz and share. Granted you could say the same for the Matrix, but still. I'm betting this happens and it translates to dollars.

I am looking forward to that movie it's true.

9 minutes ago, efialtes76 said:

We haven't seen yet the complete script he wrote...

I know that, but the Ridley-Scarpa duo isn’t exactly a winner, and with Ridley being hit or miss in the later stage of his career (more miss lately) I don’t have high hopes.

Edited by Speedorito

8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Do people care about disaster flicks in general at all anymore? The last hit was what… San Andreas? 

Those feel like extremely “stuck in 90s and 00s” premises for blockbusters. 

And that one had Dwayne Johnson only a couple of weeks after Fast 7 reached the prime of the franchise...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eric Wonka said:

IIRC Burton mentioned in an interview he only did Alice in Wonderland because it was the only way Disney would greenlight his Frankenweenie movie. Or I think it was he would do Planet of the Apes and then Big Fish could get made? One of the two, I remember that.

Maybe both? Would explain his comments there. Also has to make you wonder though if that means he’s doing BJ2 just to get something left-field made… 

Burton's been trying to make Beetlejuice 2 since the early 90s. It pops up every now and again, and then it dies because they 'couldn't get it right'.

I don't trust Burton's tastes anymore, but I think his heart's in this one. If anything, I'd assume he used Wednesday's success to make it happen. They tried getting it up and running again in 2019 and then it died. Fast-forward three years, Wednesday is a phenomenon and then it gets the greenlight.

I know the plot and it's surprisingly decent. It's a nice mix of old and new with lots of fun material for Dafoe/Keaton. Ortega/Ryder/O Hara are the heart of it. It's quite a sweet story of three generations of women learning to understand each other. It reminded me of Halloween 2018.

Edited by ddddeeee
  • Like 1
  • Heart 3
  • Astonished 1

11 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

Burton's been trying to make Beetlejuice 2 since the early 90s. It pops up every now and again, and then it dies because they 'couldn't get it right'.

I don't trust Burton's tastes anymore, but I think his heart's in this one. If anything, I'd assume he used Wednesday's success to make it happen. They tried getting it up and running again in 2019 and then it died. Fast-forward  two years, Wednesday is a phenomenon and then it gets the greenlight.

I know the plot and it's surprisingly decent. It's a nice mix of old and new with lots of fun material for Dafoe/Keaton. Ortega/Ryder/O Hara are the heart of it. It's quite a sweet story of three generations of women trying to understand each other. It reminded me of Halloween 2018.

That sounds like a smash tbh. Yeah, put me all in on challenging for #1 DOM 2024. 

I also forgot Dafoe is attached. Man, if it doesn’t hit with that cast, they definitely did something wrong. 

Edited by MovieMan89

34 minutes ago, JustWatching said:

Low to mid 300s seems more likely to me but Jan/Feb looks pretty dull so I dunno, maybe. Wouldn’t bet on it tho.

apparently its at 216 already

think we can probably scratch off the low

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ddddeeee said:

I don't trust Burton's tastes anymore, but I think his heart's in this one. If anything, I'd assume he used Wednesday's success to make it happen. They tried getting it up and running again in 2019 and then it died. Fast-forward three years, Wednesday is a phenomenon and then it gets the greenlight.

I know the plot and it's surprisingly decent. It's a nice mix of old and new with lots of fun material for Dafoe/Keaton. Ortega/Ryder/O Hara are the heart of it. It's quite a sweet story of three generations of women learning to understand each other. It reminded me of Halloween 2018.

Man, I hope you’re right. I would give anything for another truly great Burton film. His run from the 80s to 90s is my peak comfort food (Sleepy Hollow is pretty much a mandatory yearly Halloween watch for me lol). If there’s anyone who’s overdue for a return to form, it’s him.

Edited by Rorschach

Went to see Anyone But You today. Big group of teens talking loudly in the room. Ruined the whole experience, and you all wonder why older people don't come back to theaters? My tolerance for this shit is absolutely zero as I turned 30 a couple of months ago. My girlfriend was unpleased as well. She went from "we should come see Mean Girls" at the beginning to "maybe we should see these type of movies at home" by the end. It was the first time I took her to theaters since October and we just wanted to have a fun time together.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 7

6 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Went to see Anyone But You today. Big group of teens talking loudly in the room. Ruined the whole experience, and you all wonder why older people don't come back to theaters? My tolerance for this shit is absolutely zero as I turned 30 a couple of months ago. My girlfriend was unpleased as well. She went from "we should come see Mean Girls" at the beginning to "maybe we should see these type of movies at home" by the end. It was the first time I took her to theaters since October and we just wanted to have a fun time together.

I feel like I’m just getting lucky at this point because I haven’t had a bad crowd. Even when I saw Barbie on opening night no one was annoying.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rorschach said:

Man, I hope you’re right. I would give anything for another truly great Burton film. His run from the 80s to 90s is my peak comfort food (Sleepy Hollow is pretty much mandatory yearly Halloween watches for me lol). If there’s anyone who’s overdue for a return to form, it’s him.

I'm always rooting for him, but I have no faith in him. Dumbo broke me. He also did the unimaginable and directed a bad performance from Keaton.

• Like 1