Kon

NEW YEAR weekend

Aquaman DID objectively bomb, only got "saved" by the Christmas release, will still lose boatloads of money thanks to reshoots, and is only getting talked up here now because it's not The Marvels. 

It's a sequel to a billion dollar grosser that's struggling to outpace Migration. And it's eating up screens that could go to objectively better movies.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I don't think any self-respecting filmmaker wants to be associated with that franchise for at least a while (especially a reboot of the franchise)

Any self-respecting filmmaker knows to separate the art from the artist. A lot of them would love to work on something as big as the HP reboot.

• Like 3

Meh, if I were King I would avoid WBD movies like the plague, HP or not. The studio is deep in debt and 2 out 3 of its Christmas releases failed. Take the win and go find a studio that's at least somewhat reliable and stable. And HP movies are not very "director driven" since Yates was quite bland but did a half dozen of 'em.

12 minutes ago, The Gotham Bank said:

Any self-respecting filmmaker knows to separate the art from the artist. A lot of them would love to work on something as big as the HP reboot.

I'm not even talking about Rowling. I just feel like a Harry Potter remake/re-adaptation will be as successful as a LOTR or Star Wars remake (a big flop). People like those movies too much for a reboot to be successful. The only move forward I see for the franchise is a sequel to the movies (which likely won't happen either).

Anyways, iirc the reboot is going to be a show

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 2

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

I'm not even talking about Rowling. I just feel like a Harry Potter remake will be as successful as a LOTR or Star Wars remake (a big flop). People like those movies too much for a reboot to be successful. The only move forward I see for the franchise is a sequel to the movies (which likely won't happen either).

Anyways, iirc the reboot is going to be a show

I think there could be a sequel to the movies. A studio that is NOT WB probably would have started on it by now. But WB management is howlingly bad. 

It's just way too soon for a HP TV series, especially if it's on the same seven books. In 20 years time MAYBE. As someone who grew up with the books and movies, the image of the movie actors are embedded in my mind almost permanently. I feel like I would be prejudiced no matter how good the series is. 

16 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Aquaman DID objectively bomb, only got "saved" by the Christmas release, will still lose boatloads of money thanks to reshoots, and is only getting talked up here now because it's not The Marvels. 

It's a sequel to a billion dollar grosser that's struggling to outpace Migration. And it's eating up screens that could go to objectively better movies.

Nah, we have a scale for blockbusters...

Under 1x production budget WW - epic bomb - one of the biggest ever

Under 1.5x production budget WW - bomb

Under 2x production budget WW - flop

Under 2.5x production budget WW - disappointment

With a production budget of $205M, it's still to be seen if Aquaman is a bomb or moves up into only a flop territory...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

Nah, we have a scale for blockbusters...

Under 1x production budget WW - epic bomb - one of the biggest ever

Under 1.5x production budget WW - bomb

Under 2x production budget WW - flop

Under 2.5x production budget WW - disappointment

With a production budget of $205M, it's still to be seen if Aquaman is a bomb or moves up into only a flop territory...

If you think Aquaman actually cost 205 mil with all the reshoots and reedits I have beachfront property in Kansas to sell you.

Just now, MightyDargon said:

If you think Aquaman actually cost 205 mil with all the reshoots and reedits I have beachfront property in Kansas to sell you.

It is what the trades have reported.  Til we see otherwise, it is the budget.  It does have the advantage of a relatively cheaper cast that would help on budget.  Momoa only got $15M for the movie, and no one else got more than $5M (Kidman) - then it's $2M (Heard and Wilson) for 2 and under $1M for everyone else...

• Like 4

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

It is what the trades have reported.  Til we see otherwise, it is the budget.  It does have the advantage of a relatively cheaper cast that would help on budget.  Momoa only got $15M for the movie, and no one else got more than $5M (Kidman) - then it's $2M (Heard and Wilson) for 2 and under $1M for everyone else...

The trades have zero reliability, they're industry shills. We only learned the "real" costs of the Sony movies after the Interview leak, for example. Maybe some dissident within WBD leaks the "real" spending costs, maybe not. But I seriously doubt a movie stuck in post as long as Aquaman 2 was somehow came in with a "normal" budget.

The trades have zero reliability, they're industry shills. We only learned the "real" costs of the Sony movies after the Interview leak, for example. Maybe some dissident within WBD leaks the "real" spending costs, maybe not. But I seriously doubt a movie stuck in post as long as Aquaman 2 was somehow came in with a "normal" budget.

And yet, that would be true for all movies, thus we rely on the trades to compare bombs to flops...and for now, thanks to some Christmas boredom and a friendly star, Aquaman may yet escape this year's string of box office bombs and end up just a flop...

• Like 3

It's really not doing well. It's struggling against Migration (which looked basically DOA at opening). I don't think anyone's expecting it to somehow pull out an Avatar 2 or PiB style hold. We need to stop this "Aquaman didn't fail" talk right now.

There is no "Aquaman didn't fail" talk - there's talk of positioning it on how big a failure it was.  

For now, it's looking less of a failure than you think it is.  That's okay.  Christmas always helps, and WB ended up incredibly wise for leaving the movie in the slot.

And that's all I'll say at this point b/c now I'm getting bored.

• Like 2

Saturday

1) : Wonka : 8,5M ( around 23M for the Weekend)

2) : Aquaman 2 : 7,45M ( around 19M for Weekend)

3) : Migration : 6,35M ( around 17,5M for the Weekend)

4) : TCP : 5,2M ( around 12,8M for the Weekend , finally a good day for the movie outside Christmas Day)

5) : Anyone But You : 3,7M ( around 9,5M for the Weekend , the best hold/jump of the weekend)

@keysersoze123 your prediction for the top 3 movies were good 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MightyDargon said:

It's really not doing well. It's struggling against Migration (which looked basically DOA at opening). I don't think anyone's expecting it to somehow pull out an Avatar 2 or PiB style hold. We need to stop this "Aquaman didn't fail" talk right now.

Yeah, looking at relative holds for Aquaman v. previous Dec openers is clarifying. It's just another example of how Christmas legs are a real structural thing outside of true edge cases.