filmlover

96th Annual Academy Awards nominations thread

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The Academy, and to some extent Critics and Audiences seem to be a bit over Wes Anderson movies right now except in the form of memes. After Moonrise Kingdom and Grand Budapest it seemed like it was only a matter of time before Anderson got an Oscar but Isle of Dogs (outside just Animated movie), French Dispatch and now Asteroid City are all also-rans.

He got nominated for best live-action short, though.

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Wes Anderson actually got nominated for his Netflix short film Henry Sugar. He might actually win his first oscar this year lowkey.

Just now, MysteryMovieMogul said:

He got nominated for best live-action short, though.

This would be hilarious if it happens. Like that time it looked like Jon Hamm would win his Emmy for guest star on Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Wes Anderson actually got nominated for his Netflix short film Henry Sugar. He might actually win his first oscar this year lowkey.

Shows how little people pay attention to those categories cause this is the first I'm realizing he got nominated and I'm a big fan of his lol

Flower Moon > Oppenheimer > Poor Things > Barbie are all I've seen so far this year, all good movies. I'm watching The Zone of Interest tomorrow

Ninja Turtles deserved a nomination, biggest snub.

Edited by MOVIEGUY

15 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

I still think The Holdovers is the #2 to Oppenheimer. Missing Best Director looks bad initially but whatever it's not a showy movie like that. It's the one that has that "feel good" vibe the Oscars like sometimes. It got all the same nominations Green Book got put it that way.

Director miss is not bad cause preferential ballot favors Script and Acting combo. Holdovers is locked to win Acting (at least Randolph). It's facing competition from Anatomy in Original Script but it's between these 2 movies.

14 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I don't believe for a minute The Holdovers will win Best Picture.

15 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

I don't either Oppenheimer is like one million miles ahead of every other movie but I think it's #2.

Yeah, pundits are creating fake race here but Oppenheimer has SAG Ensemble nom and Holdovers doesn't which is a minor setback but still a setback given how actors driven votes tend to be. 

20 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Poor Things as the second most nominated movie does lead me to believe Oscar #2 for The Stone Age is indeed happening after Gladstone's snub at BAFTA.

It has been Stone's to lose since Venice raves. Gladstone won GG only because of Drama/Comedy split. 

13 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

God I hope so. I've just started listening to Giamatti's podcast recently where he talks about Bigfoot and aliens and shit like that. strong stuff.

lmao what? I gotta hear this.

Both Robbie and Gerwig technically got nominated this year even if not for actress or director, Robbie got a nom since she was a producer for Barbie and that got Best Pic and Gerwig and got it for screenplay.

14 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The Academy, and to some extent Critics and Audiences seem to be a bit over Wes Anderson movies right now except in the form of memes. After Moonrise Kingdom and Grand Budapest it seemed like it was only a matter of time before Anderson got an Oscar but Isle of Dogs (outside just Animated movie), French Dispatch and now Asteroid City are all also-rans.

Still pretty BS though. French Dispatch and Asteroid City still boast amazing below the line work in cinematography and production design and costumes. Like a stray nomination here and there would not hurt.

• Like 1

-Both Gretas deserved better

-Not surprised, but I hate that AOUS is a “This had Oscars buzz film”

- Honestly not surprised TMNT didn’t make it, it fizzled out at the box office fairly quickly

-Love Elemental’s redemption arc

-Best Picture lineup is disappointing due to how predictable it was

-Pleasantly surprised May December squeezed in

-KOTFM really just seems like The Irishman 2.0

Overall it was a very strong year for films, but unfortunately too strong for a lot of good films to get recognized

32 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I feel like Giamatti can pull off the win over Murphy. 

I’m feeling the same. Love both performances but Giamatti’s feels more like something the Academy would go for, not to mention it’ll make up for him getting completely snubbed for Sideways.

A little bit of a trivia here, 96th Oscar is the first Oscar since 89th that we finally don’t have double nominees from a single film in acting category.

90th- three billboard for supporting actor

91st- the favourite for supporting actress

92nd- Irishman for supporting actor

93rd- Judas and the black messiah for supporting actor

94th- the power of dog for supporting actor

95th- the banshees and EEAAO

2 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

- Honestly not surprised TMNT didn’t make it, it fizzled out at the box office fairly quickly

I mean, if we're going this route, Nimona wasn't even in theaters longer than the required amount for a nomination and The Super Mario Bros Movie wasn't even nominated.

3 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I mean, if we're going this route, Nimona wasn't even in theaters longer than the required amount for a nomination and The Super Mario Bros Movie wasn't even nominated.

Nimona was better than both of those movies.

• Like 1

Killers of the Flower Moon does feel prepared to repeat the 0/10 runs of Gangs of New York and The Irishman on Oscar night since the passion doesn't seem to be there. Probably destined to end up 3rd place at most in all of its categories. Have to assume Leo will continue his tradition of not attending the ceremony when he's not nominated (the year after he won being the exception, of course).

Edited by filmlover

3 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

But Nimona was an original film, while Super Mario Bros was never a serious contender for a myriad of reasons. TMNT was a critically acclaimed film but didn’t really make a big impact despite everything going for it.