Eric Furiosa

Weekend Thread | Argylle 1.7 Previews

3 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Everyone already knows. In fact, it was out in the open for years, as early as from back when the movie was first announced. In the social media age, word spreads faster than light. And with their friends digging the old announcement up and posting on Twitter and TikTok about it, why should people fork the money to see a movie that can't stand on its own without that surprise factor?

I went in blind and I can tell you for a fact that the movie is straight up cinematic gibberish on it's own merits. Also crazy that Henry Cavill was top billing after showing up for about 10-20 minutes in the film. 

Somewhat off topic, but this weekend is boring, so how about looking ahead? Went to see Boys in the Boat today (good movie, and yeah I'm behind), and had some thoughts on the trailers. FWIW, I'm someone who believes strongly in trailers as a predictive measure, as a clue to what story the studio is trying to tell, and whether - and which - potential audiences will be receptive (or at least on the fence)

In order of release date:

• Ghostbusters Frozen Empire - Got the teaser, but even the full trailer seems kinda ... uninspiring? Lots of stars/cameos, filled with one liners, but sure seems to tugging on the nostalgia string rather than building a compelling story. Definitely concerned reviews aren't great and it falls off quickly after what OW the brand can muster
  • Challengers - Um, yeah ... clearly I'm not the target audience for this, but a dark and sexy drama/suspense centered around ::checks notes:: tennis? I'm not sure who is tbh, and maybe star power carries it to a decent opening/total, like No Hard Feelings, but I'm skeptical
  • Godzilla X Kong - Many have asked, what does this movie offer that the last one didn't? How about instead of seeing a showdown of heavyweights, the two team up to fight a common enemy (for more than a twist ending); so not BvS but Justice League, but throw in a Baby Kong too, and on the heels of a revitalized interest in Godzilla thanks to G-1? Yeah, this has some solid potential, won't be at all shocked if it gives Dune II a run for its money as top March release
  • Kingdom of POTA - As someone who hasn't watched any of the current franchise, and has been bearish on the prospect (of Disney giving up on it), I found it ... kind of interesting? Problem is, appears to somewhat of a less ... uh, aggressive tone/focus shift, which may turn off current fans but also fail to bring in newbies, leaving not much left
  • Fall Guy - Saw it before, do think there is some sneaky potential here, but it has to hit the right comedy/action tone, in vein of Lost City and Free Guy (ie have good reviews) or could be just another forgettable release
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, M37 said:

Somewhat off topic, but this weekend is boring, so how about looking ahead? Went to see Boys in the Boat today (good movie, and yeah I'm behind), and had some thoughts on the trailers. FWIW, I'm someone who believes strongly in trailers as a predictive measure, as a clue to what story the studio is trying to tell, and whether - and which - potential audiences will be receptive (or at least on the fence)

In order of release date:

• Ghostbusters Frozen Empire - Got the teaser, but even the full trailer seems kinda ... uninspiring? Lots of stars/cameos, filled with one liners, but sure seems to tugging on the nostalgia string rather than building a compelling story. Definitely concerned reviews aren't great and it falls off quickly after what OW the brand can muster
  • Challengers - Um, yeah ... clearly I'm not the target audience for this, but a dark and sexy drama/suspense centered around ::checks notes:: tennis? I'm not sure who is tbh, and maybe star power carries it to a decent opening/total, like No Hard Feelings, but I'm skeptical
  • Godzilla X Kong - Many have asked, what does this movie offer that the last one didn't? How about instead of seeing a showdown of heavyweights, the two team up to fight a common enemy (for more than a twist ending); so not BvS but Justice League, but throw in a Baby Kong too, and on the heels of a revitalized interest in Godzilla thanks to G-1? Yeah, this has some solid potential, won't be at all shocked if it gives Dune II a run for its money as top March release
  • Kingdom of POTA - As someone who hasn't watched any of the current franchise, and has been bearish on the prospect (of Disney giving up on it), I found it ... kind of interesting? Problem is, appears to somewhat of a less ... uh, aggressive tone/focus shift, which may turn off current fans but also fail to bring in newbies, leaving not much left
  • Fall Guy - Saw it before, do think there is some sneaky potential here, but it has to hit the right comedy/action tone, in vein of Lost City and Free Guy (ie have good reviews) or could be just another forgettable release

With you on Ghostbusters and Fall Guy (but I'm much more pessimistic on the latter). 

With POTA, I don't think the tonal shift will hurt too much. That franchise has changed itself constantly from movie to movie so it feels rather appropriate for this to do the same, particularly with the time jump and setting change. The more adventurous vibe from the trailers also opens itself to a bigger audience, and while this is anecdotal, there is excitment among people I know who loved the last few films (though there is also some caution with Matt Reeves' lack of involvement). Disney are still total idiots for not immediately moving it to the beginning of May after moving Deadpool, though.

I'm also more optimistic about Challengers, but I think future marketing should push the love triangle angle more.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PrinceRico said:

Apple needs to leave the theatrical releases to the professionals. Three 200 million dollar bombs in a row in less than 6 months. 

Those $200M price tags are common with streaming films. The only thing these films need to cover is their release cost, rest is pretty much bonus which they wouldn’t have got a penny of if those were dumped directly to streaming.

That said, Napoleon did $220M. Thats pretty good number. KoTM did $160M, again not bad at all. Irishman made closer to $0 for Netflix with similar budget.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

cinema

ARGYLLE (2024)C+

Remember when Batman v Superman was seen as a special event because of just how bad its word of mouth was? Good times. Now we get a sea of BvS'es all year round. The deterioration of Hollywood this decade will be one for the history books.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JustWatching said:

And that’s a wrap. 

Godzilla Minus One Toho Interna… $302,532 -13% +16% 2,051 $148 $56,418,793

I can't believe they're pulling this from theaters when it's less than $1m away from the second highest-grossing foreign-language movie at the US box office: Genre Keyword: Foreign Language - Box Office Mojo.

It would have surely crossed that today had they left it in cinemas!

Edited by shachi86
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Those $200M price tags are common with streaming films. The only thing these films need to cover is their release cost, rest is pretty much bonus which they wouldn’t have got a penny of if those were dumped directly to streaming.

That said, Napoleon did $220M. Thats pretty good number. KoTM did $160M, again not bad at all. Irishman made closer to $0 for Netflix with similar budget.

Still, Netflix continue to not release its $200M movies on theaters. So, there should be some benefits for them.

If Apple decided to release movies on theaters, they likely expected some kind of profit. I mean, Netflix is the only profitable streaming service, so they wouldn't recover the money with Apple TV.

Also, considering the bad reception for Napoleon or Arguille, they aren't even getting prestige.

Edited by Kon

10 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Netflix - lol

that Jennifer Lopez movie they claimed was the most watched film in the world last year. How much did they make on it? Zero dollars. How many more new subs did they likely get to watch it? Likely zero dollars. 

A joke. Yet they continue to hold out from theatrical with gritted teeth. What martyrs. 

11 minutes ago, Kon said:

Still, Netflix continue to not release its $200M movies on theaters. So, there should be some benefits for them.

If Apple decided to release movies on theaters, they likely expected some kind of profit. I mean, Netflix is the only profitable streaming service, so they wouldn't recover the money with Apple TV.

Also, considering the bad reception for Napoleon or Arguille, they aren't even getting prestige.

Netflix I think is making money but when judging the Apple TV films or other streamers giving theatrical release to their films, you can't do it like the traditional studio model but by how you will judge a Netflix film.

17 hours ago, Dominic Draper said:

Saw American Fiction and really liked it. Super funny and witty. This and Poor Things really surprised me just how funny they were.

I've really enjoyed all the best film noms I've watched so far.

Oppenheimer 10/10

Poor Things 9/10

Killers of The Flower Moon 9/10

American Fiction 8/10

The Holdovers 8/10

Hoping to watch Barbie, Maestro and Past lives this week.

The Zone of Interest is unbelievable. It’s a really strong Best Picture line-up this year. 

• Like 3

As far as I’m aware the hefty apple price tags are as much to do with everybody getting paid upfront as anything. 

so budget plus P&A - then theatrical and PVOD start to claw significant chunks of that back before the launch on their streaming service.  Let alone the promotion for the films with them being perceived as prestige and actual events - bound to bring in new subs. 

That seems like a way better business model than Netflix’s spend of mega money to make nothing to me. 

53 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Remember when Batman v Superman was seen as a special event because of just how bad its word of mouth was? Good times. Now we get a sea of BvS'es all year round. The deterioration of Hollywood this decade will be one for the history books.

Ah yes. Before BvS, movies always had good word of mouth and always had good legs.

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Netflix I think is making money but when judging the Apple TV films or other streamers giving theatrical release to their films, you can't do it like the traditional studio model but by how you will judge a Netflix film.

I agree Apple TV films couldn't be judged as studios movies. However, we couldn't judge Apple TV films based on Netflix film model either, because it's different too.

Netflix don't care about theaters box office. Netflix only release movies in some few theaters because they want nominations.

Instead, Apple release movier films in many theaters. So their goal isn't just to get nominations.

Edited by Kon

58 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

As far as I’m aware the hefty apple price tags are as much to do with everybody getting paid upfront as anything. 

so budget plus P&A - then theatrical and PVOD start to claw significant chunks of that back before the launch on their streaming service.  Let alone the promotion for the films with them being perceived as prestige and actual events - bound to bring in new subs. 

That seems like a way better business model than Netflix’s spend of mega money to make nothing to me. 

Netflix's business model is rolling the money. Netflix doesn't need theaters. Apple has a ton of cash and can set money on fire with these crazy deals trying to gain subs that we dont even know is working because Apple doesnt release the official number of AppleTv subs.  Something like Argylle isnt being seen as prestige or an actual event it's going to be seen as a massive bomb that Apple was dumb enough to buy.

Video streaming giant Netflix had a total net income of nearly 5.4 billion U.S. dollars in 2023, whilst the company's annual revenue reached around 33.7 billion U.S. dollars.