cannastop

Moana 2 | November 27, 2024

15 minutes ago, AJG said:

The time where having a major animation studio spend make TV seeming like a sensible idea is well and truly dead. 

I truly can't imagine the quality of this one. The animation will no doubt be top notch but a TV show being edited into a movie sounds like ass.

considering Disney Animation never made TV shows themselves, may be it's for the best. They have DTVA for this which made wonderful Tangled series(and Alan Menken was not busy enough to make music for it compared to someone else)

29 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I'm not convinced the film will be good, but the lack of LMM means nothing to it's final quality. In the Heights wasn't a hit, LMM isn't really as beloved as he was a few years back, and, going back to the first film, I found his music to be a bit of a weak link.

He’s responsible for some of the most popular Disney songs in the past decade. The songs are a huge part of Moana and Encanto’s success. Some people might think he’s cringey, but not nearly in same way people turned on Taika Waititi for people cringey. LMM is more theater kid cringey than Waititi cringey.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric Creed said:

Just realized there's precedence to make the Tiana show into a movie as well after this. Which I guess would work okay. Both Tiana and her movie are more popular than ever, and you can sell it as "2D animation is back!"

Has Princess and the Frog had a moment on streaming? I don't recall seeing the film on the Nielsen charts or the random smattering of D+ charts I've come across and I don't find it via a quick search (though I think most TVGrim Reaper stuff isn't transcribed). I don't think you'd expect to see it by default (tangled and brave don't seem to chart but I quickly found some tangled references in old streaming popularity searches people posted to streaming thread (e.g. flix patrol) but is there another way to test this claim? 

I just don't have an organic way to know what the (literal) youths today are in to being neither a kid nor having one. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

Regardless of personal opinions, Lin's music in Moana was undeniably a huge factor in its success, and his lack of presence here is definitely a strike against it, especially given how the biggest thing these new songwriters are known for is an unofficial tribute album to a Netflix series

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, PNF2187 said:

Assuming that falls into place, we'll finally have a new record holder for biggest Thanksgiving opener after Frozen held the crown for 11 years.

A few years ago I would have absolutely agreed. But given the state of WDAS now, I think even matching the first Moana's OW would be seen as a big win.

4 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

This feels like a movie that will open big regardless of quality. It can't be overstated what a monster the original is on streaming (it was the most streamed movie in the US last year).

Will those families streaming it on a loop just wait to do the same with the sequel though? 

I think it could do well, but just a valid point to raise. 

49 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Will those families streaming it on a loop just wait to do the same with the sequel though? 

I think it could do well, but just a valid point to raise. 

I think Disney+ is always going to be a drag on their films to one extent or another. It’s too big of a streamer not to be. But sequels are pretty much the only animated films (excluding niche titles) that have been working at the box office. Inside Out 2 will be an early indicator here of how big of a problem D+ will be on these sequels. 

• Like 2