Porthos

Dune 2 Opening Weekend Thread [3/01/24 -3/03/24] [82.5m DOM OW]

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Excellent for Dune, glad it got over $80m in the end. 

That’s an -82% 2nd weekend drop for Demon Slayer. Potentially the 10th biggest 2nd weekend drop of all time. 

It’s not a big deal, it’s not a movie, it’s just a TV series with some recaps and first episode from the upcoming season.

1 minute ago, leoh said:

not possível, the average drop This sunday was over 40% for other movies.

The other movies isn’t opening or getting PFL preference from audiences 

Sales for SUN already shows that the drop will be smaller than projected 

• Like 1

Just now, wildphantom said:

48% PLF 🤣

What does that tell you? Nobody wants to see this thing in a flea bit. 

Build more premium screens morons!! 

They Will Come Rose Mciver GIF by CBS

While yes, i agree with that, a major problem for theater owners is that building these PLF auditoriums is extremely expensive and only really logical from a financial viewpoint if they get adequate movies like Dune 2, Oppenheimer etc on a more consistent basis - and with they way Hollywood looks right now, thats not really the reality atm.

But overall, i agree. PLF is the future of cinema because these special formats elevate the theatralic experience in a way that is still truly special and basically impossible to recreate at home.

Stupid question:

Does it do pretty well in this particular corridor, with 2 more exclusive weeks and limited competition until the end of March? Or did the original slot give it less competition? I think it had longer PLF exclusivity but more competition in the original (November?) slot.

Seems like it’ll open with ~100M OS. Since it’s doing best on very leggy markets, i think it can try +350M or in current countries. 

Still have some biggies left like China (hard to predict but sales has been better than AQM2 that did 65M), Japan (could try 10M) and some other smaller markets that together can do ~15-20M.

I feel that +600M is the highly likely scenario, while 700M it’ll depend on legs, but it can happen.

Edited by ThomasNicole

“The box office data org also reports that family groups came out more on Saturday and their activity was much higher with the more economically priced standard format ($13.94 average price overall per ticket vs. premium average price ticket of $17.43). Families constituted 13% of the audience, an increase from Friday’s 5%. “While both days predominantly attracted non-family attendees, the increased percentage of Family Groups on Saturday suggests a slight shift in the audience composition, making it more diverse in terms of household types,” says EntTelligence. Also, when comparing family attendance and adult age group variances across IMAX, standard, and large format screenings, the standard format drew 19% family attendance versus that group’s attendance at Imax (8%) and PLF overall (12%). “

8 minutes ago, leoh said:

not possível, the average drop This sunday was over 40% for other movies.

The other films aren’t big openers. It’ll be less than the -30 drop for Sunday. 

7 minutes ago, leoh said:

It’s not a big deal, it’s not a movie, it’s just a TV series with some recaps and first episode from the upcoming season.

So? It’s still around the top 10 for worst drops in history. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 1

Just now, ThomasNicole said:

Seems like it’ll open with ~100M OS. Since it’s doing best on leggy markets, i think it can try 350M or higher in current countries. 

Still have some biggies left like China (hard to predict but sales has been better than AQM2 that did 65M), Australia (should try 15-20M), Japan (could try 10M) and some other smaller markets that together can do ~15-20M.

I feel that +600M is the highly likely scenario, while 700M it’ll depend on legs, but it can happen.

It opened in Australia, IMDB is wrong.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

The other films aren’t big openers. It’ll be less than the -30 drop for Sunday. 

So? It’s still around the top 10 for worst drops in history. 

Is it? There are many anime movies with worse drops.