Porthos

Dune 2 Opening Weekend Thread [3/01/24 -3/03/24] [82.5m DOM OW]

5 hours ago, DAJK said:

Unrelated to Dune, but now that I'm working now and no longer in school, I have more time on my hands in my non-work hours, and have been trying to catch up on (good) movies from the 80s-90s-00s that I've never seen (so if any of you have recommendations, send them my way!)

Watch duck, you sucker. they blow up a train in it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, TMP said:

-Jean Coctau’s Beauty & The Beast

Spoiler

Cocteau's movie is better than the Disney movie tbh, but folks here aren't ready for that conversation :ph34r:

Just now, Eric Atreides said:
  Hide contents

Cocteau's movie is better than the Disney movie tbh, but folks here aren't ready for that conversation :ph34r:

It's immensely better imo, and I consider that to be the peak of their animation output from that period. The artistry on display is just so fucking cool. In terms of other Disney "demakes" I saw recently, the Cheney Hunchback kind of blows the animated one out of the water. Need to read the Victor Hugo book eventually too...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bob Train said:

I don’t believe in A+, have to preserve the 4000+ theaters, A+ Cinemascore, 600m+ DOM rule

Speaking of this I wonder which movie will break the 200 OW/600 DOM rule.

I think DS2 would have done it with better reception. Would've cracked 200 like it should have but definitely wouldn't have had the legs for 600

23 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

$12M previews :lol:

9xatk7luc1lc1.png?auto=webp&s=6d4376453c

He literally called it 9 months in advance

Now we just need that "*7" to land :ph34r:

I notice you didn't screen shot and post this when the Marvels or Aquaman 2 came out...

• Haha 13
  • Disbelief 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, DAJK said:

Unrelated to Dune, but now that I'm working now and no longer in school, I have more time on my hands in my non-work hours, and have been trying to catch up on (good) movies from the 80s-90s-00s that I've never seen (so if any of you have recommendations, send them my way!)

Watched Apollo 13 last week. Pretty good movie, well-directed and well-acted, even if I didn't connect with it on an emotional level. 4 stars.

Watched Edward Scissorhands last night. UM... WHY HAS NO ONE FORCED ME TO WATCH THIS MOVIE BEFORE NOW??? Big Fish is my favourite movie of all time, so I'm all for sentimental Burton. It's still my #2 Burton (nothing will ever top Ewan McGregor in a field of daffodils) but it's really strong, and the last 30 minutes really, really works. Also, Danny Elfman....?!?!?!?! Ice Dance has got to be one of my favourite pieces of music ever written for a film. 

I want this Burton back. Hopefully Beetlejuice 2 is good and has some of his flair from his earlier works. But I really hope he makes something original next. A high-concept fantasy/fairy-tale. 

Took a look at your letterbox and....

Shaking-Head-Breaking-Bad.gif

WAS going to go "off the board" a bit and not suggest Teh Classics, and I suppose I still will, but...

Eh.  Let's go "off the board" a bit after all.

Don't know if you want any one line summaries or if you're already familiar with some of these, but here's a collection of five somewhat different films covering some different genres:

WarGames (1983)

Wargames.jpg

Exceedingly dated in some respects... Very much not so in most others.

Sneakers (1992)

Sneakersmovie.jpg

Underrated gem that I will *ALWAYS* recommend. About that time just after the Cold War where everything was unsettled and lots of folks were trying to figure out just what this New World Order would exactly be.

Not exactly underrated, and perhaps helps to be a sports fan, but..

The Natural (1984)

The_Natural_1984.jpg

Shows the power of cinematography and music in the hands of a maestro.  And it's a pretty compelling story too!

A Fish Called Wanda (1988)

should-i-watch-a-fish-called-wanda.jpg

Kevin Kline actually secured an Oscar win in a comedy for his supporting performance here!  Imagine the meltdowns if that had occurred today!  (honestly hard to think of a recent comparison)

Interview with the Vampire (1994)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQXfFcGvD5Cw40vU7eH0cP

INCREDIBLY CONTROVERSIAL CASTING WHEN ANNOUNCED.

AMAZING PERFORMANCE BY TOM CRUISE.  That is all.

(also very uncomfortable to watch at times, so be forewarned)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, DAJK said:

Broken Arrow if you are into action flicks, one of Hans Zimmer's best scores and Travolta is great in it.

Tony Scott's The Fan, extremely underrated movie and another fantastic score from Zimmer, has surprising shades of Blade Runner despite completely different genre and topic.

Fincher's The Game, but maybe you already watched it.

Wolf with Nicholson and Pfeiffer.

If you are not afraid of really controversial stuff, Adrian Lyne's Lolita adaptation which I think is far better than Kubrick's version in every way and absolutely wouldn't be made today, especially with such a big budget, it's crazy this movie even exists.

Edited by Firepower
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Interview with the Vampire (1994)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQXfFcGvD5Cw40vU7eH0cP

INCREDIBLY CONTROVERSIAL CASTING WHEN ANNOUNCED.

AMAZING PERFORMANCE BY TOM CRUISE.  That is all.

Going to New Orleans next weekend and one of the tours I'm doing is gonna be the plantation they used in this movie. Really excited to check it out! 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I see your tasteful French version and raise you the weirdass 1978 Czechoslovak gothic horror version. It's free on YouTube and the best of them imo.

rPX-bFB_RaLOqYZHTwzQtm1KKXVGOy3mVN6yCLDb

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

I see your tasteful French version and raise you the weirdass 1978 Czechoslovak gothic horror version. It's free on YouTube and the best of them imo.

It's tempting...but I'm a furry, and that beast ain't cute. I'll stick with my buff daddy kitty men.

14 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

This reminds me of how the best take on Hamlet is meant to be the 1964 Soviet one, and the best take on Treasure Island is meant to be the Soviet cartoon. Maybe I'll triple feature them some day

• Like 1

Couple of other semi-off the board recommendations:

(again, these aren't classicsper se, but they're fun/interesting watches)

Ladyhawke (1985)

MV5BZjhkMmFmMGMtZTIwMy00NGE0LThkZWQtOWNj

Want to know what Pop Culture in the early to mid 80s was really like?  Forget the glossy, meme-y stuff, it's hard to get more early/mid 80s than Ladyhawke, right down to the VERY MUCH OF ITS TIME (and reviled even then) synth score.

But, yes, I have more than a soft spot for it.  There's just something about it that makes me stop and watch it whenever I see it on TV while I was flipping through channels.

A Knight's Tale (2001)

MV5BMTE5OTE4OTE2Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMDkz

Another film that film snobs at the time absolutely HATED but I fucked loved to pieces.

Is it Art?  No.  Is it Cinema?  No.  Is it INCREDIBLY FUN? Oh, fuck yes. (also touching in a few unexpected spots)

The best way to describe that film is... "What if you crossed the WWE with Ye Old Fashioned England"?  Set to a Rock Sound Track.  If that doesn't sound like a Good Time?  Well, yeah.  better pass on it.  But, dammit, it's just so much fun!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

This reminds me of how the best take on Hamlet is meant to be the 1964 Soviet one, and the best take on Treasure Island is meant to be the Soviet cartoon. Maybe I'll triple feature them some day

and the best take on Sherlock Holmes is the 1979-86 series of Soviet TV movies.

• Like 1

Just now, Jake Gittes said:

and the best take on Sherlock Holmes is the 1979-86 series of Soviet TV movies.

*glares in Jeremy Brett*

(mind I haven't seen those, so I can't really comment — but I can never pass up the opportunity to plug Brett Holmes)

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

He failed himself, but hopefully it got him to understand what he's actually good at

Directing other people's scripts.

Edit: Just saw that Josh Singer, the writer of First Man, also wrote Maestro. I think Chazelle would've honestly been a better fit for that than Cooper.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Porthos said:

*glares in Jeremy Brett*

(mind I haven't seen those, so I can't really comment — but I can never pass up the opportunity to plug Brett Holmes)

It's fair, I haven't seen the Brett Holmes (I should). But the Soviet Holmes is legit! It's all on YT with solid English subs if you're curious.

• Like 1