Porthos

Dune 2 Opening Weekend Thread [3/01/24 -3/03/24] [82.5m DOM OW]

17 minutes ago, Porthos said:

*glares in Jeremy Brett*

(mind I haven't seen those, so I can't really comment — but I can never pass up the opportunity to plug Brett Holmes)

Hear, hear. He is the Sherlock Holmes. He also played the self-destructive methods in his personal life. His embodiment of his character like David Suchet to Hercule Poirot.

1 hour ago, XXR vs XXR said:

I notice you didn't screen shot and post this when the Marvels or Aquaman 2 came out...

For Marvels it was 112 expected, 46 actual. For Aquaman it was 71.5 expected, 28 actual. So Aquaman is technically the slightly bigger percent miss lol

Though personally I would say morally it's The Marvels is the bigger miss because Aquaman had waaaaaaaaaaaay better legs

Edited by HummingLemon496

2 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

It's fair, I haven't seen the Brett Holmes (I should). But the Soviet Holmes is legit! It's all on YT with solid English subs if you're curious.

Have you seen the rathbone holmes? He’s still the ONLY decent “Frankenstein” Universal ever cast lol, even if none of them are even close to the book haha

5 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Yeah, I was honestly pretty disappointed in his role here. That's the one sore spot of this movie for me. But even that is smothered out by there still being plenty of villanous energy going around in some other key characters.

Yeah he really didn't have anything to do

5 hours ago, ozardvark said:

Saw it with the Dune re-release and it looked like they've significantly improved the CGI. Looked incredible. 

The CG is the same it just looks better on a big screen compared to a crappy compressed youtube video. People really overreacted to that trailer when it dropped

• Like 3

Wanted to recommend people to head on over to the Top 100 Disney Movies thread. I've just reached the top 20. The big home stretch, and revealed some certified bangers I know you all love. Feel free to send me some likes along the way :)

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Porthos said:

A Knight's Tale (2001)

MV5BMTE5OTE4OTE2Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMDkz

Another film that film snobs at the time absolutely HATED but I fucked loved to pieces.

Is it Art?  No.  Is it Cinema?  No.  Is it INCREDIBLY FUN? Oh, fuck yes. (also touching in a few unexpected spots)

The best way to describe that film is... "What if you crossed the WWE with Ye Old Fashioned England"?  Set to a Rock Sound Track.  If that doesn't sound like a Good Time?  Well, yeah.  better pass on it.  But, dammit, it's just so much fun!

Anyone who dislikes this has no heart. One of his best.

In fact it's just hard to talk about Heath Ledger's best works, he just had so many incredible movies, I really miss him and we were robbed of some amazing stuff.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, TMP said:

Have you seen the rathbone holmes?

The Basil Rathbone version is so much fun. Really loved the movies when i watched them several years ago

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

and the best take on Sherlock Holmes is the 1979-86 series of Soviet TV movies.

That's not true! The Soviet Holmes movies don't have gay rats in them.

3RBo.gif

https://deadline.com/2024/03/box-office-dune-part-two-1235842667/

"The $190M Legendary Entertainment/Warner Bros sequel is heading for a $30M-$34M Friday, inclusive of $12M previews, for what’s shaping up to be a $70M-$80M at 4,071 theaters. Lower estimates stem from the fact that this movie is not a younger-skewing fanboy movie, rather older. Those over 25 attended last night at 77% with guys over 25 repping 53% of the crowd.

Last night’s Screen Engine/Comscore PostTrak exits were from another galaxy at 5 stars, 94% positive. Women over 25 at 24% were the second biggest demo followed by men under 25 at 15% and women under 25 trailing at 8% (that portion of the Zendaya fans haven’t showed up yet). The 25-44 demo repped 53% of the audience. Diversity demos were 48% Caucasian, 22% Hispanic and Latino, 13% Black, 10% Asian and 7% other."

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

"The $190M Legendary Entertainment/Warner Bros sequel is heading for a $30M-$34M Friday, inclusive of $12M previews, for what’s shaping up to be a $70M-$80M at 4,071 theaters. Lower estimates stem from the fact that this movie is not a younger-skewing fanboy movie, rather older. Those over 25 attended last night at 77% with guys over 25 repping 53% of the crowd.

Last night’s Screen Engine/Comscore PostTrak exits were from another galaxy at 5 stars, 94% positive. Women over 25 at 24% were the second biggest demo followed by men under 25 at 15% and women under 25 trailing at 8% (that portion of the Zendaya fans haven’t showed up yet). The 25-44 demo repped 53% of the audience. Diversity demos were 48% Caucasian, 22% Hispanic and Latino, 13% Black, 10% Asian and 7% other."

Is this inline with expectations m? More less? Seems good

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Super front-loaded if lower part of that range is gonna be correct.

Edited by Firepower

16 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

5 stars and 94% on PostTrak? Bruh. That’s insane. We might be in serious business y’all.

Demos are completely different but it's a hair above Oppenheimer and Spider-Verse which were both at 93%

10 hours ago, Firepower said:

There are people who think LOTR is boring and yet it did bonkers.

Let’s be honest with ourselves here. Audiences liked all of the LoTR movies more than the first Dune easily. This is not controversial and I really enjoyed the first Dune.

• Like 2

John Wick 4 was also 93% positive. Dune playing way more to older white males but that's not a surprise.

More great exits on John Wick: Chapter 4 show 93% on PostTrak, an 82% definite recommend, the latter which is higher than John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum‘s 75% definite recommend.

The latest installment was 69% guy-leaning, 56% between 18-34, with 31% between 25-34, the latter the largest quad. Diversity demos strong across all sectors with 32% Caucasian (vs. Parbellum‘s 42%), 28% Latino and Hispanic (vs 22%), 19% Black (same as last film), & 21% Asian/other (vs. 14%).

Similar to Parabellum, guys over 25 were the biggest group, this time at a huge 48% (vs. part 3’s 45%), followed by women over 25 at 22%, which tied with guys under 25 at the same ratio. Women under 25 didn’t care, showing up at 8%. For Parabellum, women over 25 clocked 29%, while males under 25 were at 18%. High grades from men under/over 25 and women over 25 at north of 93% for part 4.

The irony is this is the closest thing to a super critical hit WB will have all year and its still getting poo-pooed on here because "it's not LOTR".

I guarantee GodzillaxKong would kill for an opening like this.