Porthos

Dune 2 Opening Weekend Thread [3/01/24 -3/03/24] [82.5m DOM OW]

55 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

https://deadline.com/2024/03/box-office-dune-part-two-1235842667/

"The $190M Legendary Entertainment/Warner Bros sequel is heading for a $30M-$34M Friday, inclusive of $12M previews, for what’s shaping up to be a $70M-$80M at 4,071 theaters. Lower estimates stem from the fact that this movie is not a younger-skewing fanboy movie, rather older. Those over 25 attended last night at 77% with guys over 25 repping 53% of the crowd.

Last night’s Screen Engine/Comscore PostTrak exits were from another galaxy at 5 stars, 94% positive. Women over 25 at 24% were the second biggest demo followed by men under 25 at 15% and women under 25 trailing at 8% (that portion of the Zendaya fans haven’t showed up yet). The 25-44 demo repped 53% of the audience. Diversity demos were 48% Caucasian, 22% Hispanic and Latino, 13% Black, 10% Asian and 7% other."

Those posttrak numbers are just a nudge below the 95-96% A+ films usually get...that a hard sci-fi Dune adaptation is getting this kind of universal approval from the public is simply unreal

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Starphanluke said:

Yeah it’s early Deadline. Not exactly words to live by.

$34m at minimum should be the target for the day. Hopefully higher. $30m would be rough.

Yeah, I like that minimum:)...to be honest, my area has been rocking all day today...but the main college in the area started Spring Break this weekend, so I don't know how much is "college friends got off class early" and how much is this doing REALLY well today.  I'm inclined to think the former, but who the heck knows til we get numbers:)...

I just would like a really, really big weekend...it's been awhile...and one that shocks after previews to the upside would be the cherry on top...  

The fact this is such a long movie (add in 20 trailers and you get past the 3 hour mark) should mean that the level of frontloading shouldn't be nearly as severe as such a movie with such a targeted audience for the most part should be in theory. We'll just have to see how it holds up since that initial rush will be over after today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

https://deadline.com/2024/03/box-office-dune-part-two-1235842667/

"The $190M Legendary Entertainment/Warner Bros sequel is heading for a $30M-$34M Friday, inclusive of $12M previews, for what’s shaping up to be a $70M-$80M at 4,071 theaters. Lower estimates stem from the fact that this movie is not a younger-skewing fanboy movie, rather older. Those over 25 attended last night at 77% with guys over 25 repping 53% of the crowd.

Last night’s Screen Engine/Comscore PostTrak exits were from another galaxy at 5 stars, 94% positive. Women over 25 at 24% were the second biggest demo followed by men under 25 at 15% and women under 25 trailing at 8% (that portion of the Zendaya fans haven’t showed up yet). The 25-44 demo repped 53% of the audience. Diversity demos were 48% Caucasian, 22% Hispanic and Latino, 13% Black, 10% Asian and 7% other."

68% men, those popcorn buckets must of been selling quick. 

• Haha 5

Those PostTrak numbers are insanity. Hopefully the WOM effect shows itself already during the OW. I stand by my belief that Dune 2's legs could really suprise us. Hard Sci-Fi movies (especially sequels) are frontloaded by nature, but this movie feels more and more like the type of event-blockbuster that could break out into a larger than expected audience.

And it deserves all the praise and money. Ive already booked tickets for another 2 showings and i forced talked some friends into going with me, so im doing my part in stretching the legs!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TMP said:

Going to New Orleans next weekend and one of the tours I'm doing is gonna be the plantation they used in this movie. Really excited to check it out! 

Have fun. I live about an hour north of NO on the North Shore as it’s called. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, junkshop36 said:

Have fun. I live about an hour north of NO on the North Shore as it’s called. 

Excited to finally live out my Ignatious J. Reilly fantasy!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Weird Charlie is just predicting true friday. I thought comscore would just have combined number. 

Would @Rtheimer also chime in today?

8 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Sorry, weekend's been called already, it's 84

That too 9 months ago. So its set in stone. 

Edited by keysersoze123

well I am disappointed. in myself. I went to a 11pm imax showing and after an hour I could barely keep my eyes open, had to keep pinching myself to stay awake for the rest of the film. didn't fall asleep (unlike the person next to me who was snoring lol) but mentally checked out of the film half way through. guess I'll be going to another showing next week at a more sensible time.

that's what i get for not booking tickets far enough in advance and having to choose one at an awkward time.

16 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Weird Charlie is just predicting true friday. I thought comscore would just have combined number. 

Would @Rtheimer also chime in today?

That too 9 months ago. So its set in stone. 

I always report True FRI. Previews are rolled after day ends.

• Like 2

If walk-ups today are anything like they were(n’t) last night, then I’d definitely be leaning towards the lower end of that Deadline range 

Fwiw, my working estimate has been:

($2)/$9/$20/$24.5/$19.5 = $75

• Like 2

This coming week the 6:30 pm IMAX shows at Toronto Scotiabank are already getting pretty limited. Good seats all gone.

Mon- 320/408

Tues- 343/408

Wed- 276/408

Thurs- 265/408

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Avatree said:

well I am disappointed. in myself. I went to a 11pm imax showing and after an hour I could barely keep my eyes open, had to keep pinching myself to stay awake for the rest of the film. didn't fall asleep (unlike the person next to me who was snoring lol) but mentally checked out of the film half way through. guess I'll be going to another showing next week at a more sensible time.

that's what i get for not booking tickets far enough in advance and having to choose one at an awkward time.

Yeah, the 11pm shows for this seen like a bad idea. Saw it yesterday 6pm ($22+ IMAX) and seeing it again on Tuesday 6pm (special Tue price of $13+ IMAX). Planning to go third time too.