Porthos

Dune 2 Opening Weekend Thread [3/01/24 -3/03/24] [82.5m DOM OW]

22 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

"Today's kids don't read Harry Potter" do people on here realize how stupid they sound? This is "kids don't like Mario" all over again.

I've noticed a weird thing where a lot of young people will randomly declare "NOBODY IN MY GENERATION WATCHES/READS/LISTENS TO THAT" because them, their 3 friends and their brother haven't despite the fact that it is clearly not true in any way. I remember back when the Dnd movie came out some users on this board were convinced the film was bombing because "nobody in their 20s knows what dnd is and only boomers like it."

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Killimano3 said:

I've noticed a weird thing where a lot of young people will randomly declare "NOBODY IN MY GENERATION WATCHES/READS/LISTENS TO THAT" because them, their 3 friends and their brother haven't despite the fact that it is clearly not true in any way. I remember back when the Dnd movie came out some users on this board were convinced the film was bombing because "nobody in their 20s knows what dnd is and only boomers like it."

I mean it at least sort of makes sense for something like D&D or Dune which can still be seen as "niche audiences", but Harry Potter? MARIO?!? You have zero credibility if you make that kind of statement.

• Founder / Operator
1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

So is it 11 or 12m? That 1m could translate to 7-8m difference in OW due to carry over effect. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Admits just weren’t there, but looks like Dune got saved by ATP from a heavy PLF skew; going to be not all that far from Avatar 2 for Thursday, nothing else in that range 

Pretty awesome number. The reason I was so low on this when we were talking predictions initially is because the "COVID/streaming ruined the last one" narrative seemed like kind of a myth - NTTD and Venom 2 did much better that same month, and it did worse on streaming than many other WB movies that year. There's just no real evidence that it was some megahit in disguise held down by HBO Max. It would have done like 55/140 without day and date, and you gotta figure some of that 140m are casual audiences that would have been turned off by the pace and length. So for it to actually increase to 75+ and maybe 190+....that is really impressive and a product of great marketing and great job hyping it as an event.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, emoviefan said:

The GA is waiting for something they do not have to do their homework for  and will just be a fun blast of a movie. That's what will get them in the door now.  Emily Blunt Thumbs Up GIF by The Fall Guy

Or like I’ve been saying 
Godzilla Kong GIF by Warner Bros. Pictures

• Heart 1