kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 30.15M KFP IV | 28.50M DUNE II

30 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

She definitely was, but actually I think the movie needed a bit of that. It would more staid without it. She was the star wars element to the otherwise somber sci-fi

I don't agree. It took me out of the movie a couple times. 

2 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Dune has had way better Sunday drops than most movies so far, because of PLF.

Sure but my point is will it have a better SUN drop than last week's? We'll know tomorrow...

5 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Sure but my point is will it have a better SUN drop than last week's? We'll know tomorrow...

Good point. Indeed it seems doubtful. Going with -28% would have been safer

I think the last few weekends at the BO we have had is what's going to be like all year. There is no Mario or Barbenheimer type weekend coming. The movies being released this year just aren't going to break out and perform that big this year. The only 100 million weekend possible movies are probably IO 2 and DP& Wolvie. There are going to be surprise hits and overperforners where WOM and buzz will drive legs like hopefully The Fall Guy and a few other movies. It is what it is. The strikes did no favors but honestly this year always looked this way anyway. 

39 minutes ago, Elessar said:

I was taking Batman's numbers for comparison and it did -38% vs -30% the week before, mid-March. Will this year be different?

I’ve always thought spring break wasn’t always that uniform or consistent from year to year, unlike other break or holiday times. 

That said, regardless, the next two weeks are huge for its remaining legs with Ghostbusters and GxK coming out. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Elessar said:

I was taking Batman's numbers for comparison and it did -38% vs -30% the week before, mid-March. Will this year be different?

With Easter not being a fixed date, the ebb and flow of Spring Breaks (esp K-12) varies year to year 

Generally, the later Easter is on the calendar (April) the more SBs get concentrated in early March, since it gets too late to connect it to Easter and instead just get it done with. While the earlier Easter falls, the more SBs get wrapped around the week before and after. This is more in the middle, so cuts both ways 

• Like 3

The holidays look like they could be potentially busy. November needs to be spaced out a bit now that Venom moved though since Gladiator 2, Moana 2, and Wicked are all currently set to come out between the pre-Thanksgiving frame through the holiday itself (and the latter has clearly staked its claim on the big weekend).

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The holidays look like they could be potentially busy. November needs to be spaced out a bit now that Venom moved though since Gladiator 2, Moana 2, and Wicked are all currently set to come out between the pre-Thanksgiving frame through the holiday itself (and the latter has clearly staked its claim on the big weekend).

Yeah Paramount should move Gladiator 2 up to the 8th. I can see them making that announcement at Cinemacon or something. I am sure that will be their centerpiece movie to push other than Quiet Place Day One. 

I'll never forget seeing the first Dune, and there were a bunch of teenagers behind me who were clearly there for Zendaya and then got all bitter when she was only in the movie for 15 minutes. I hope they still stuck around to see Part Two. :lol:

• Haha 4

36 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

I think the last few weekends at the BO we have had is what's going to be like all year. There is no Mario or Barbenheimer type weekend coming. The movies being released this year just aren't going to break out and perform that big this year. The only 100 million weekend possible movies are probably IO 2 and DP& Wolvie. There are going to be surprise hits and overperforners where WOM and buzz will drive legs like hopefully The Fall Guy and a few other movies. It is what it is. The strikes did no favors but honestly this year always looked this way anyway. 

I think Joker 2, Wicked, DM4, Gladiator 2, TLK2, all of have large OW potential (maybe not 100m OW, especially for the holiday releases)

• Like 1

There's a lot of stuff with mid-range potential; honestly I like the uncertainty of this year. April essentially looks like the kind of creator and concept driven slate that jaded Film Twitter has been demanding for so long, and we already know at least two of them are gonna have their artistic support; three if you count Fall Guy in early May. 

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, The Panda said:

I think Joker 2, Wicked, DM4, Gladiator 2, TLK2, all of have large OW potential (maybe not 100m OW, especially for the holiday releases)

Gladiator 2 is especially interesting. In terms of legacy sequels, will it be an Independence Day 2 (critical and BO bomb), Blade Runner 2049 (critical hit, BO bomb), or Top Gun Maverick (critical and BO hit)? 

I’m hoping it’s a return to form for Scott, at the very least. 

Edited by Squire

2 hours ago, vale9001 said:

americans didn't show up for Poor things with Emma stone, Ruffalo and Dafoe. Golden Lion at Venice and 11 Oscar nominations. What do you expect from an A 24 drama with Kristen Stewart is not an horror movie based on plot twists. 

I don’t think it’s a horror film and thankfully haven’t had any twists spoiled. 

But my answer would be: more than $2.5m. 

1 minute ago, Squire said:

Gladiator 2 is especially interesting. In terms of legacy sequels, will it be an Independence Day 2 (critical and BO bomb), Blade Runner 2049 (critical hit, BO bomb), or Top Gun Maverick (critical and BO hit)? 

I’m hoping it’s a return to form for Scott, at the very least. 

I would say I don't see the Blade Runner scenario happening but given the budget rumors it seems it could draw a really sizable audience and still be a "bomb". Though Villeneuve's career didn't suffer post-Blade Runner, so I doubt anyone would hold it against Ridley if people still think it's a great film.