kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 80.01M G×K: THE NEW EMPIRE | 11.35M DUNE II

3 minutes ago, Grand Cine said:

Can KFP4 surpass PIB 2 in worldwide total (481M) , i think it's really possible. If it's the case , it would be the best dreamworks movie on box office since Dragons 3 in 2019

It is a lock. 550M is probably the minimum. Still has some markets to open. The OS number this weekend is a good 43.7M.

• Like 1

If you would've told me 5 years ago when King of the Monsters was flopping that the franchise would miraculously recover completely from that and find a brand new lease on life, I wouldn't have believed you in the slightest. And yet here we are, with the biggest opening for the series in a decade, 5 years after a movie that should've killed Goji in America for at least a decade. I guess now we know the path DC would've taken had Justice League been a great movie that was a smash hit.

Hopefully we finally get a proper Godzilla 3 out of this. If Minus One's overperformance didn't convince them, then this one most certainly should. Adam Wingard did indicate recently that the next movie will delve into Goji's character the same way this one apparently explores Kong's. So I hope we see that story told.

I can't wait to see this movie next weekend when it's out in my homeland! I really wanted to see it day and date with you all, but our distributor delayed it to avoid Ramadan as much as possible, as it hita moviegoing pretty hard here. All the impressions are leaving me more and more impatient by the day!

• Like 8

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

Immaculate and Late Night's good holds make Love Lies Bleeding's rejection rather perplexing. I guess people weren't into the... direction it took.

What direction for Love Lives Bleeding could be the problem?

Wonder which next Kaiju villain you want either Kong or Godzilla to go up against in future Monsterverse movies, whether it be original ones exclusive to this franchise or using one or more of Toho’s monsters? Since the previous monster antagonists were pretty dangerous threats to each title character. 🤔

“Godzilla (2014)” had the two MUTO’s, “Kong: Skull Island” had that one huge Skullcrawler, “King of the Monsters” had King Ghidorah and then the previous film “GvK” had MechaGodzilla. Usually the evil monsters are the biggest threats in these films.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, M37 said:

Also think this October might be a very poor time to revisit these particular social themes, as they may not be seen as escapism in that moment in time 

Now this is an interesting addition to all the variables, isn't it?  Toyed with alluding to it in my post but decided against it.

But on the other hand it is interesting to note as well that some of the voices on social media that were... let's say eager to jump on the discourse surrounding Joker back in 2019 are now posting Joker themed gifs themselves.  

Another way to put it is that while Joker 2 once again becoming a social media socioeconomic football is all too real of a possibility, if only because some folks on social media have the impulse control of a kitten hopped up on catnip laced with speed, the memeification of the Arthur Fleck Joker can't be denied.  The power walk through the hallway post-donning makeup and the dancing on the steps are two large viral moments but so too is the crying while putting on the makeup in the first place.

That is to say, the Arthur Fleck Joker has definitely had a lasting cultural impact, and I don't particularly think there's that much debate on that score (though I could be wrong as some folks will debate almost anything).

At the same time what you note here (and yes I'll dance around it to as to not throw the thread into a tailspin) could dampen an appetite for it in a too real sort of way.  But, man, I dunno.  Virality goes a long ways nowadays.

So, yeah.  Just have to wait and see, I suppose.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Adam Wingard did indicate recently that the next movie will delve into Goji's character the same way this one apparently explores Kong's

Here's the thing...that's probably going to be a disaster. There's a reason Kong works as a protagonist - it's an ape. Giant, yes, but especially within the context of huge chunks of the runtime without any humans, that size is almost irrelevant. It's a very human performance. It's the same reason the new Planet of the Apes movies work so well. You can do a lot of actual emotion and non-verbal communication and expression with such a character. With Godzilla, it's not going to work.

Which means that "by delving deeper into the character", they're gonna end up having to rely a lot on some human characters doing the heavy-lifting. And they've clearly been unable to do good human characters in this series. I think that's a direction that might end up putting the breaks on the series again. It's Kong, not Godzilla that's carrying this franchise.

• Like 2

Why is the internet/twitter/youtube not up in arms about how badly this new Ghostbusters is doing compared to the 2016 film? 

It’s all very convenient

Anyway, as a huge fan of only the 2016 film, it’s extremely satisfying that less people have seen both Afterlife and this. Justice IMO lol. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Borobudur said:

GB holds notably stronger than the Marvels, as early as its first Sunday where it was already 2m ahead of the marvels. And it is doing much better than the Marvels during its first set of weekdays. It is holding nothing like the Marvels, with or without Easter 

I think still can. SoD is 67m and DnD was 61m after 10 days and both of them finished at 95m-ish whereas GB is already 73m. 

It was spring break for a lot of schools last week in the United States. You can see it in the weekday numbers for Panda 4. 

27 minutes ago, Kon said:

What direction for Love Lives Bleeding could be the problem?

Well, the trailer kinda concealed the fact that

Spoiler

It was essentially a She-Hulk origin story

9 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Wonder which next Kaiju villain you want either Kong or Godzilla to go up against in future Monsterverse movies, whether it be original ones exclusive to this franchise or using one or more of Toho’s monsters? Since the previous monster antagonists were pretty dangerous threats to each title character. 🤔

“Godzilla (2014)” had the two MUTO’s, “Kong: Skull Island” had that one huge Skullcrawler, “King of the Monsters” had King Ghidorah and then the previous film “GvK” had MechaGodzilla. Usually the evil monsters are the biggest threats in these films.

I think Behemoth, the mammoth-looking character briefly seen in King of the Monsters, would be a great match for Kong. As for Goji, I'd like to see either Gigan, Hedorah or Biollante as potential new opponents, with maybe Anguirus as a secondary foe like Rodan was. Ideally I'd want a King of the Monsters do-over that features the big Toho characters in an actually good movie, but Ghidorah being obliterated and his final remains being probably destroyed along with MechaGodzilla puts a big wrench into that. I guess they can do MechaGhidorah, but the studio might think that'd be too derivative.

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Why is the internet/twitter/youtube not up in arms about how badly this new Ghostbusters is doing compared to the 2016 film? 

It’s all very convenient

Anyway, as a huge fan of only the 2016 film, it’s extremely satisfying that less people have seen both Afterlife and this. Justice IMO lol. 

I agree. Very convenient and the silence is deafening. 

I say that as somebody who liked the 2016 one, as well as Afterlife and Frozen Empire. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Here's the thing...that's probably going to be a disaster. There's a reason Kong works as a protagonist - it's an ape. Giant, yes, but especially within the context of huge chunks of the runtime without any humans, that size is almost irrelevant. It's a very human performance. It's the same reason the new Planet of the Apes movies work so well. You can do a lot of actual emotion and non-verbal communication and expression with such a character. With Godzilla, it's not going to work.

Which means that "by delving deeper into the character", they're gonna end up having to rely a lot on some human characters doing the heavy-lifting. And they've clearly been unable to do good human characters in this series. I think that's a direction that might end up putting the breaks on the series again. It's Kong, not Godzilla that's carrying this franchise.

Why not? The Mandalorian managed to make its lead, covered in a helmet for 95% of the running time, display a surprising amount of emotion. Who's to say Goji can't show any emotions? His expressions notably soften and become a lot more relaxed whenever Mothra is around, for example. He even straight up laughs with a shit-eating grin in Godzilla vs Kong. Making him an actual character would be such a fascinating challenge, and represents the kind of risk Hollywood should be taking more of in an era where franchise fatigue is more potent than ever.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

It’s all very convenient

The reason is pretty clear to me: the big controversy surrounding that reboot drew the attention of a lot of casuals who otherwise don't have much investment in Ghostbusters as a franchise. Without it, the franchise only has its rapidly aging core fans to rely on. They could've expanded it like Radio Silence did for Scream if Sony had the imagination to, but as we've seen with Afterlife, they simply don't. And that is costing them big time with Frozen Empire. It's pretty fitting that it's getting destroyed by Godzilla, a property that is able to regularly reinvent itself and open up to even more audiences each time, and Toho and Legendary are both being rewarded for it with Minus One and now The New Empire overperforming in big ways.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

The reason is pretty clear to me: the big controversy surrounding that reboot drew the attention of a lot of casuals who otherwise don't have much investment in Ghostbusters as a franchise. Without it, the franchise only has its rapidly aging core fans to rely on. They could've expanded it like Radio Silence did for Scream if Sony had the imagination to, but as we've seen with Afterlife, they simply don't. And that is costing them big time with Frozen Empire. It's pretty fitting that it's getting destroyed by Godzilla, a property that is able to regularly reinvent itself and open up to even more audiences each time, and Toho and Legendary are both being rewarded for it with Minus One and now The New Empire overperforming in big ways.

Nah I don’t buy this at all. Sorry! 

The controversy/outrage was purely online and, as shown in the legs, wasn’t reflected in any sort of ongoing interest. 

I just find it funny, all that moaning for months and months on end, and then less people went to the “ones they wanted” 🤣🤣

41 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

This is very spot on

25 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Why not? The Mandalorian managed to make its lead, covered in a helmet for 95% of the running time, display a surprising amount of emotion. Who's to say Goji can't show any emotions? His expressions notably soften and become a lot more relaxed whenever Mothra is around, for example. He even straight up laughs with a shit-eating grin in Godzilla vs Kong. Making him an actual character would be such a fascinating challenge, and represents the kind of risk Hollywood should be taking more of in an era where franchise fatigue is more potent than ever.

I guess it comes down to us having very different points if view. You have the Mandalorian as a positive example but I think that series is absolutely atrocious, but even then the voice acting offers something you won't have with Godzilla. Crucially, you had the stupid little muppet for everyone to ooh and aah over. Which, obviously you can do here as well, with various side characters but that juts goes to my point that Godzilla works as either a destructive God-like force or part of a very large ensamble of characters. And there is zero evidence that this series can deliver on the character work to compensate for the lack of sad ape faces and big simian eyes.

But make no mistake, I am pulling for them and hope they find a way to make it work.

• Like 2