kayumanggi

Weekend estimates | 31.70M GODZILLA × KONG: TNE | 10.10M MONKEY MAN | 9.00M GHOSTBUSTERS: FE | 8.36M THE FIRST OMEN | 7.85M KFP IV | 7.20M DUNE II

2 minutes ago, ReturnOfTheBoxOffice said:

GxK hitting 32m this weekend wasn’t fantastic, but a much better hold then the disastrous 2nd weekend some in the industry were projecting.

I think next weekend will be the telltale sign of it can chug to 200m. Will need like 17-19m I suspect. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cookson said:

I think next weekend will be the telltale sign of it can chug to 200m. Will need like 17-19m I suspect. 

With a great audience WOM and that it opened with a huge $80M, why would it suddenly not get $200M+?

Are there any other cases where a good/well-received blockbuster with a huge OW, didn’t get to $200M+ in the past? 🤷🏻‍♀️

15 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

With a great audience WOM and that it opened with a huge $80M, why would it suddenly not get $200M+?

Are there any other cases where a good/well-received blockbuster with a huge OW, didn’t get to $200M+ in the past? 🤷🏻‍♀️

Well one reason in this case is despite the great audience WOM it will lose it's PLF's next week to Civil War and when the SFX blockbusters lose those they normally get hit hard. They can recover in the following weeks and this might be able to recover with no real obstacles to May at least after that.

• Like 1

GxK's IMAX share isn't really that big so I don't see it being affected much by losing the screens next wknd. 

It should hit $200M but it's looking like it might be a crawl. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JimmyB said:

Ordinary Angels?  That movie already came out and is gone from theaters. Do you mean Unsung Hero?  That looks like the same type of movie as Ordinary Angels.  Movies that open to around 7m and end their run at 18m. 

Oops - yep, that one.  Can you tell I was rushing to get ready this morning?:)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Yeah that's what we've been doing in the UK for at least 30 years

Yeah, and it's surprising this hasn't caught on in this US. However, I really think people are underestimating the amount of pricing innovation that's occurred in the past several years. We've had films receive price increases on OW, "Friday/Saturday evening surge pricing," across the board discounts (80 for Brady), increased territorial exclusivity (Magic Mike 3), various free/reduced price individual/bulk ticket deals (most famously "pay-it-forward" but as other comments flagged, that's that's far from the only thing). 

The mid-budget movies are dead at the cinema, so 10M opening for Monkey man is NOT that awful for a first time director. It looks worse because there's no blockbuster opening this April.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Maggie said:

The mid-budget movies are dead at the cinema, so 10M opening for Monkey man is NOT that awful for a first time director. It looks worse because there's no blockbuster opening this April.

But I would not call Monkey Man midbudget though. It only cost 10 million from what I read I think. That's low budget.  Civil War this week which cost 50 million is mid budget and probably way too high  for what it will probably do in the end. 

4 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

But I would not call Monkey Man midbudget though. It only cost 10 million from what I read I think. That's low budget.  

I read they spent a ton on advertising though. Like on par with GvsK.

1 minute ago, Maggie said:

Yikes if true they might as well have set the money on fire then for all the good it did. It shows if the casuals are not interested all the marketing is not going to help at all. 

2 minutes ago, Maggie said:

If that's true, then ouch. Nobody I know was interested in Monkey Man. More of the folks I regularly speak to were more intrigued with GxK and even Ghostbusters than that film.

It's a shame too. I had fun with it, even if it felt like a by-the-numbers romp in certain spots.

ISpot shows that Universal shelled out as much for TV spots on Monkey Man as Warner’s did for GxK –around $16M. Monkey Man‘s campaign, which launched at SXSW, pulled in 331M impressions to Disney’s 265M impressions on First Omen. iSpot shows the Mouse House spending around $4M in spots. Uni aired spots for Monkey Man on NFL games (30.6%), men’s college basketball (27.0%), NBA (8.3%), women’s college basketball (3.4%) and the show Chicago Fire (2.4%). Most ad impressions for Monkey Man were on CBS (50%), and that’s due to that Monkey Man Super Bowl spot.

https://deadline.com/2024/04/box-office-monkey-man-first-omen-godzilla-x-kong-1235876709/

Edited by Maggie

I mean, poor(ish) openings aside, this was a fairly solid weekend for the products in the marketplace. The week ass Friday increases set the story though overall... still not sure why they were less than 100%, especially for the family leaning flicks. UNLESS there were more schools out this past week then we realized (which could definitely be a factor.) Monday drops should be back to the nasty normals of 75-80% outside of the major adult films.

I hear a lot of the concerns and complaints of the weekend and of course I wished the new outings had better openings, but the witness were on the wall here. 

Monkey Man did have a great marketing start and terrific WOM from SXSW, but it went nowhere. There was no build up socially within the last week or so for this title to breakout. Positive reviews are important, but you need momentum and it felt like Uni never got the film into wider awareness or the right audiences just weren't as driven to see the movie. 

For The First Omen, Disney just messed up on the marketing. No real push for weeks and only let reviews out 2 days before opening?  Not a great plan. Like Monkey Man, horror fans need to know your movie is out there. I only saw one trailer for this at All of Us Strangers and have rarely seen this movie talked about outside Twitter. 

These days, it feels that you can gauge on when a movie will do better than expected based on the conversation. So don't be surprised when Civil War does better than expected and Abigail sadly disappoints big time. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, crazymoviekid said:

I hear a lot of the concerns and complaints of the weekend and of course I wished the new outings had better openings, but the witness were on the wall here. 

Monkey Man did have a great marketing start and terrific WOM from SXSW, but it went nowhere. There was no build up socially within the last week or so for this title to breakout. Positive reviews are important, but you need momentum and it felt like Uni never got the film into wider awareness or the right audiences just weren't as driven to see the movie. 

For The First Omen, Disney just messed up on the marketing. No real push for weeks and only let reviews out 2 days before opening?  Not a great plan. Like Monkey Man, horror fans need to know your movie is out there. I only saw one trailer for this at All of Us Strangers and have rarely seen this movie talked about outside Twitter. 

These days, it feels that you can gauge on when a movie will do better than expected based on the conversation. So don't be surprised when Civil War does better than expected and Abigail sadly disappoints big time. 

Actually I do feel this is common observation for Universal’s movie, they tend to have big initial marketing hype but somehow died down or slow down leading up the actual release date.