kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 15.54M GODZILLA×KONG: THE NEW EMPIRE

2 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Strike delays otherwise Deadpool would have been the opener. As it now stands, this is the second time the stars have aligned for a perfect release schedule for an animated movie starring Chris Pratt. A 2.5 month break between KFP4 and Garfield and Apes is the only thing to qualify as a "family" blockbuster since GxK

IF is literally a family movie and it opens before Garfield.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, CJohn said:

IF is literally a family movie and it opens before Garfield.

I keep forgetting about that movie's existence. Doubt the lean schedule will increase interest for it. There's only so much Ryan Reynolds people can take in a single summer.

Count me in the field that thinks Garfield is going to do great.  Garfield, Inside Out, DM4 could make close to a billion between them.  That’s Barbenheimer money right there. 

So all we need to make the rest up are equivalents for Mermaid, Guardians and Spidey in terms of gross.  Deadpool and Twisters could do average $325 million each. 

Then Furiosa, Quiet Place, Apes, Fall Guy, Alien, Bad Boys - these can all do between $100 and $200 million.  At least one of these is bound to overperform. 

Horizon is the wild card. Will either do middling or massively breakout imo. 

IF - big question mark on that one. Everyone is down on it due to the lack of IP, but who knows?

I don’t get the ambivalence from some. We’re going to have a very good summer I think. The key being that the major family movies perform big, and I think they will. 

If it won’t quite add up to last summer, then it will at least be more than solid. Here’s hoping for some surprises. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 4

Never posted, but kinda shocked by Civil War's high male demo...

https://deadline.com/2024/04/box-office-civil-war-1235882968/

"Mostly male skewing here for Civil War at 73% with 57% of the audience being the prime 18-34moviegiong demo. Largest demo was 25-34 at 36%. Diversity range was 50% Caucasian, a very strong 24% Latino and Hispanic, 12% Black, 8% Asian and 6% other. Best regions for Civil War are South (A24 did have great test scores in Dallas), South Central and the West."

Edited by TwoMisfits

20 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

"Mostly male skewing here for Civil War at 73% with 57% of the audience being the prime 18-34moviegiong demo. Largest demo was 25-34 at 36%. Diversity range was 50% Caucasian, a very strong 24% Latino and Hispanic, 12% Black, 8% Asian and 6% other. Best regions for Civil War are South (A24 did have great test scores in Dallas), South Central and the West."

I'd be surprised if the demo for 'There's a Civil War in America in the modern day' wasn't mostly male and white.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Why does it surprise you? War films in general trend that way so it's within normal(ish) norms?

Edit - norms as in smaller grosses. A giant hit is obviously going to have wider demographics, but this is pulling from upper classes and in the grand scheme will be "small" overall so not pulling from the groups that go toward more "fun" films doesn't surprise. 

I would also hazard to guess that the politics of the demos also pull quite liberal and white. 

Edited by narniadis

21 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I don’t get the ambivalence from some. We’re going to have a very good summer I think. The key being that the major family movies perform big, and I think they will. 

Problem is we're missing any kind of real heavy Mario/Barbie titans, at least the way things are looking now. We're already in a deep hole with 2023 comps and it doesn't look like the summer is gonna be able to close that gap at this point. I'm not real concerned about individual movies being successful so much as theaters getting enough collective revenue to stay afloat, especially with the AMC bankruptcy musings.

The fall I will say definitely looks a lot better than last year, and if everything at least does respectable business in the summer that would help to not make a 2024 comeback impossible.

14 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Problem is we're missing any kind of real heavy Mario/Barbie titans, at least the way things are looking now. We're already in a deep hole with 2023 comps and it doesn't look like the summer is gonna be able to close that gap at this point. I'm not real concerned about individual movies being successful so much as theaters getting enough collective revenue to stay afloat, especially with the AMC bankruptcy musings.

The fall I will say definitely looks a lot better than last year, and if everything at least does respectable business in the summer that would help to not make a 2024 comeback impossible.

All fair. I don’t expect a match for last year overall anyway, so maybe that’s why I’m not as concerned. The strike was always going to have an impact. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MightyDargon said:

Don't know why Variety reported it as "25 million". This effectively rounds to 26 million.

Box Office: ‘Civil War’ Sets A24 Record With $25 Million Debut

Director Alex Garland’s provocative dystopian thriller “Civil War” lit up the box office with $25.7 million in its debut. It’s the first A24 movie to lead the charts in North America, setting an opening weekend record for the New York-based specialty studio. It also marks the biggest R-rated start of the year.

Maybe for Headline. It's written as $25.7M inside the article

53 minutes ago, Morieris said:

I'd be surprised if the demo for 'There's a Civil War in America in the modern day' wasn't mostly male and white.

Yeah, except this one isn't a classic war film.  Apparently, it's a war journalism film, which isn't exactly gonna appeal to that demo.

Universal and DreamWorks Animation’s “Kung Fu Panda 4” moved up to the No. 4 spot with $5.2 million in its sixth weekend.

Lol, sure enough Deadline lowballed again

21 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Box Office: ‘Civil War’ Sets A24 Record With $25 Million Debut

Maybe for Headline. It's written as $25.7M inside the article

Between this and Monkey Man, the disparity between films that get actively discussed online and the amount of people actually willing to go see them has been fascinating. I thought Civil War would have a break out $50m OW a month ago.

Edited by AJG

11 minutes ago, AJG said:

Between this and Monkey Man, the disparity between films that get actively discussed online and the amount of people actually willing to go see them has been fascinating. I thought Civil War would have a break out $50m OW a month ago.

I mean a lot of that discourse was about condemning the movie due to its perceived politics (or lack thereof). I think many of the people fueling it had more interest in stoking controversy for ego's sake than actually seeing it. There were definitely people on this forum still expecting it to bomb.

In any case HSX had both pegged down for a good while with Monkey Man at around 30mil for four weeks and Civil War at around 60.

Edited by AniNate