kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | estimates | 15.01M CHALLENGERS | 7.73M UNSUNG HERO | 7.22M GODZILLA×KONG: TNE

It’s funny that every single weekend we have discussions about whether “nostalgic toy commercials” or whatever are the only things that blow up at the box office in today’s climate, and there’s always strong pushback. But this weekend, the same small group people on this site who aren’t as subtle as they think they are about certain types of leads or films are honing in on one specific film.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 2

1 minute ago, PenguinHyphy said:

Apparently, Saltburn (a movie that I have never heard of and have never heard anyone in reality mention) is the Taylor Swift of the movie industry because obsessives on Twitter have Tweeted about it until their fingers went numb       

For something to be widely popular, it needs to be discussed by you and your group of close people? lol 

• Like 4
  • Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, Dreadnought said:

5 stages of grief:

1. Denial

2. Anger 

3. Bargaining

4. Depression

5. Acceptance 

No it's more like "I'm looking forward to Fall Guy coming out next week so everyone finally shuts up about it"

Haven‘t seen it here/in this thread:

Dune 2 surpassed 700$m this weekend

Theatrical Performance
Domestic Box Office $279,743,000 Details
International Box Office $424,500,000 Details
Worldwide Box Office $704,243,000

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

It’s funny that every single weekend we have discussions about whether “nostalgic toy commercials” or whatever are the only things that blow up at the box office in today’s climate, and there’s always strong pushback. But this weekend, the same small group people on this site who aren’t as subtle as they think they are about certain types of leads or films are honing in on one specific film.

It would probably be more fruitful to come out and say exactly what you mean here?

22 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Saltburn falls in the same category of Euphoria (and to some extent … Challengers). 

It’s very young, horny with disturbing twists, dubious characters, portrays a lot of dramas that dialogues with newest generations. It’s obvious why that won’t resonate with most older audiences.

I’m pretty sure Saltburn and Euphoria is a flop with some audiences, but it’s definitely huge with a big portion of young audiences, which explains the huge engagement both have in social media. 

It’s not 4 quadrant but it’s definitely something since both HBO and Amazon drop statements talking about how happy they are with them. There’s a good chance Challengers will follow the same route once is available in other ways, even if it’s box office is unimpressive.

This idea of something 4 quadrant that everyone loves comes from an ideal world that is usually very white, mostly manly, cis and straight, it’s retrograde at this point.

The problem is so little data is accessible to people outside of the industry - re: Euphoria, HBO's viewership is pitiful despite their cultural footprint. It gives one pause to consider how insular the 'zeitgeist' really is despite supposedly being more open, progressive, and inclusive than ever before as you indicate with your pithy but ultimately hollow last comment. 

Let's see what Emerald Fennell does next and, more importantly, who pays for it since Amazon is apparently very happy with their investment. 

Apologies for this last, off topic post 

• Like 2

These glorified stan accounts need to chill. This is a $60M movie with an enormous promo campaign courtesy of Amazon's deep pockets. The director's previous movies didn't have that. Again, Call Me By Your Name cost under $4M. 

https://twitter.com/Luiz_Fernando_J/status/1784654243846144228

I get it, they homoerotically ate churros and that's Film Twitter catnip. But let's try to be somewhat objective. 

Edited by Flopped
  • Like 5

Moderation

Okay, we're done with this whole "Is Saltburn a hit actually" conversation. It's very clear neither side wants to listen to each other, so why bother continuing it?

I'm also going to say that the hyperbole over Challengers has also gotten old. This isn't looking to be some epic failure, Amazon's not going out of business, this isn't this ultra-expensive tentpole, but a lot of users here are acting like it is. Plus, this whole "Civil War should have opened to 70M and Challengers should have opened to 40M because I said so" stuff? Borderline trolling material. Please act a bit more reserved over this movie, stop acting like it's a total bomb, and relax. Or else. Your choice.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Flopped said:

I get it, they homoerotically ate churros and that's Film Twitter catnip. But let's try to be somewhat objective. 

Extremely bizarre phrasing aside, what’s here to be objective? 

Amazon paid for both Bones and All and Challengers together in their Guadagnino combo. The actual production company was paid even before both movies hit theaters. And we’re not even talking about WB participation in all of this and the tons of product placement all over the movie.

I mean sure, everyone was paid except Amazon which did invest millions in buying them from the production company and marketing them. Still we all know things doesn’t end in box office for Amazon since they’re not simply a movie studio. That’s objective and factually truth. 

It’s also very true that this won’t gross enough for a 55M budget so it’s a disappointment in this regard? Sure, but there’s way more factors into this. Screaming “bomb” to everything using just budget vs box office for a movie that streamers paid for is more of a lazy statement than an objective one imo.

It is absolutely criminal for theaters to have the audacity to not even be showing trailers at the movie's start time. Movie was supposed to start two minutes ago and they're showing a coca cola commercial 

AMC MUST BE STOPPED.

23 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Extremely bizarre phrasing aside, what’s here to be objective? 

Amazon paid for both Bones and All and Challengers together in their Guadagnino combo. The actual production company was paid even before both movies hit theaters. And we’re not even talking about WB participation in all of this and the tons of product placement all over the movie.

I mean sure, everyone was paid except Amazon which did invest millions in buying them from the production company and marketing them. Still we all know things doesn’t end in box office for Amazon since they’re not simply a movie studio. That’s objective and factually truth. 

It’s also very true that this won’t gross enough for a 55M budget so it’s a disappointment in this regard? Sure, but there’s way more factors into this. Screaming “bomb” to everything using just budget vs box office for a movie that streamers paid for is more of a lazy statement than an objective one imo.

To be fair, Challengers could still be a failure on streaming.

Honestly, I'm not sure why so many people try to use "it would surely be as a success on streaming" as a saving grace for movies. It always could have a poor reception in streaming too.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, MOVIEGUY said:

It is absolutely criminal for theaters to have the audacity to not even be showing trailers at the movie's start time. Movie was supposed to start two minutes ago and they're showing a coca cola commercial 

AMC MUST BE STOPPED.

I've had this problem with my local AMC. They start playing trailers like 15 minutes after the showtime.

The local Cinemark plays 20 min worth of trailers during the showtime.

Regal plays about 15 min of trailers during the showtime.

A local chain plays maybe 10 min of trailers during the showtime.

Edited by ringedmortality
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, MOVIEGUY said:

AMC MUST BE STOPPED.

Regal does the same thing. You sit down for the showtime they stated, but then you have 10 more minutes of ads, and then we get to the trailers. In my day, the showtime meant that was when the trailer happened. I'm sure they get more money doing this, but...man, it really is no wonder why streaming won the battle.