kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | estimates | 15.01M CHALLENGERS | 7.73M UNSUNG HERO | 7.22M GODZILLA×KONG: TNE

1 minute ago, poweranimals said:

I'm surprised Unsung Hero has a 100% audience score with 250+ reviews.

I suppose this says something about the efficacy of the "verified audience" system now. Would've expected at least some kind of review bombing for a faith based movie

12 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Streaming made everything worse for all partys involved except most customers: The extremely lucrative DVD/Blu-Ray market was destroyed with only collectors now buying them and streaming is still (as far as i know) a moneyloser for all studios.

So they ditched a golden moneymaker to have a moneyloser instead. Peak capitalism right there (yes thats irony).

Streaming would have been fine if the studios had stuck to selling content to Netflix, etc. (which initially they did for too little, but could've sold films for a lot more after those initial contracts), but they underestimated what it would cost to vertically integrate and go direct to consumers. It's like if the studios had bought all of the movie theatre chains - that would've been financially disastrous as well given how many have gone bankrupt (or come close in the case of AMC).

Sony is the only major studio that comes to mind that just continued selling streaming rights without trying to launch their own service.

12 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Maybe dvds will come back someday as a nostalgic fad the way vinyl has for music.

More like 4Ks instead of DVDs. The difference in quality between Vinyl and streaming is negligible whereas the difference in quality between DVDs and streaming is not

• Like 1

Jumping in a little late to the "audiences want original ideas" talk. I've always found audiences mean they want IP's that haven't been milked to death yet. They want something familiar, but in a fresh coat of paint. It's why you can take Dune - a story that's been copied over and over - and turn it into a 700 million blockbuster. It's why Barbie and Mario were the biggest films of last year. It's why Last of Us and Fallout are massive hits for television. Audiences don't actually want original ideas. That want stories from other forms of media that are treated with respect and of high quality. Then when those are done, and the nostalgia has been milked decades later, they move onto the next untapped IP with potential. 

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, HowSway said:

More like 4Ks instead of DVDs. The difference in quality between Vinyl and streaming is negligible whereas the difference in quality between DVDs and streaming is not

Big thing that's missing now is all the special features they had. Maybe you'll get some occasional add ons for an extremely popular movie or series but they're definitely not de rigeur with streaming like they used to be. I miss the director/actor commentaries.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I suppose this says something about the efficacy of the "verified audience" system now. Would've expected at least some kind of review bombing for a faith based movie

I think you have it kind of backwards. It's the "woke" movies subject to review bombing.

17 minutes ago, GambitPool said:

Jumping in a little late to the "audiences want original ideas" talk. I've always found audiences mean they want IP's that haven't been milked to death yet. They want something familiar, but in a fresh coat of paint. It's why you can take Dune - a story that's been copied over and over - and turn it into a 700 million blockbuster. It's why Barbie and Mario were the biggest films of last year. It's why Last of Us and Fallout are massive hits for television. Audiences don't actually want original ideas. That want stories from other forms of media that are treated with respect and of high quality. Then when those are done, and the nostalgia has been milked decades later, they move onto the next untapped IP with potential. 

Yeah but IPs have to come from SOMEWHERE...

• Like 3

On 4/26/2024 at 3:54 PM, James said:

I bet the inevitable Harry Potter sequel, with another 5-10 years of inflation, will do it. 

I don't know. JK Rowling hates the big 3 actors now, and probably vice versa. Hard to imagine them working together again.

29 minutes ago, AJG said:

They’re both movies for adults the same way Frasier was a sitcom for “smart” people.
I’m saying they should be sold like something that actually looks appealing rather than Letterboxd approved critic bait.

If your personal notions of "appealing" and "letterboxd approved critic bait" have no overlap, it doesn't mean it's the same for everyone, or that it's the marketing's problem. As far as I'm concerned treating people as if they were grown-ups is better than treating them as if they were babies. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, ringedmortality said:

Should have made Challengers with Holland and Chalamet instead. Would have brought the budget up to 100M but would have probably made like 400M.

Would lose my mind if Timothee was in this. Challengers is already bisexual heaven. Then you add him? Oh…oh my…oh, Eric’s going nutso again ahhhhhhhhh

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

30 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Yeah but IPs have to come from SOMEWHERE...

Exactly. My go-to modern example is John Wick: Of course those movies are hevily influenced by earlier action movies, but the first John Wick was still an original film that introduced the character and world to audiences. Now John Wick has become one of the biggest pure action movie franchises of this century.

None of that would have happened without that first original movie. Just like with every other big franchise.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Exactly. My go-to modern example is John Wick: Of course those movies are hevily influenced by earlier action movies, but the first John Wick was still an original film that introduced the character and world to audiences. Now John Wick has become one of the biggest pure action movie franchises of this century.

None of that would have happened without that first original movie. Just like with every other big franchise.

Theres also Despicable Me

this moment from The Dark Knight Rises was uploaded a month ago and attracted millions views and people making fun of it. Personally, I have no problem with the line, it's the background fighting which looks funny.

2 hours ago, poweranimals said:

I'm surprised Unsung Hero has a 100% audience score with 250+ reviews.

Well, that's a real good score, but why not? I learned over the years that especially the faith-based audience is a pretty friendly reviewer and the trailers for that movie are likeable IMO. 

Maybe it can become a (small) surprise hit?

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

this moment from The Dark Knight Rises was uploaded a month ago and attracted millions views and people making fun of it. Personally, I have no problem with the line, it's the background fighting which looks funny.

I like Rises a lot but yeah this line is so dumb, I don’t know why they couldn’t figure something else or just omit Batman saying anything.

That channel is weird though, they got a huge hate boner for Nolan.