kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | estimates | 15.01M CHALLENGERS | 7.73M UNSUNG HERO | 7.22M GODZILLA×KONG: TNE

saw the trailer boy kill world trailer when i saw Civil War. it looks like the MOST annoying movie ever made. just the trailer was like watching a bad stand up bomb for 2.5 minutes completely embarrassing. `

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

saw the trailer boy kill world trailer when i saw Civil War. it looks like the MOST annoying movie ever made. just the trailer was like watching a bad stand up bomb for 2.5 minutes completely embarrassing. `

“YOU HAVE TO ADMIT THAT WAS COOL, RIGHT” 😩🔫

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

It reminded me of that old Family Guy bit. That voice actor hasn’t changed it up for 20 years.

26 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Yeah GA reception is mixed but that's not surprising for the director.

Not enough tennis, not enough sex. Audiences going to see this for either one end up leaving unsatisfied.

45 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I don't get it. Rating on letterboxd is a high 4.2 and on imdb 7.8 and both are rising, but audiences in theaters reactions were so-so

4vxk7chtkuwc1

It’s definitely more of a Film Twitter film than a general audience film.

Side note, men over 25 liked the film the most? Gee wonder why…

Wow What GIF by Challengers Movie

• Haha 1

Challengers is a very good movie, even if not like critics were saying. Has a lot of lows but it's somehow a magnetic movie.

but it's not for the big crowds...the movie is not set to incredible numbers so i guess most people going this weekend are kinda interested already to the director or Zendaya fans or whatever so they could say they like but i still think cinemascore is gonna be like a B at best. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Very early nos for FRI would say $4-4.5M true FRI. $6.2-6.7M OD. $14-16M weekend may be.

I mean…guess it still met tracking. Could be worse? I guess?

1 hour ago, Gokai Red said:

Just a friendly reminder that it was this weekend 5 years ago (same calendar configuration too) that Avengers Endgame premiered and broke a bunch of records. I wonder when we'll get a movie that can top that opening weekend, which is currently the longest held opening weekend record. 

Secret Wars coming soon with X-Men and alternate universe versions of dead Avengers

Sister Act Reaction GIF

1 hour ago, Maggie said:

I don't get it. Rating on letterboxd is a high 4.2 and on imdb 7.8 and both are rising, but audiences in theaters reactions were so-so

4vxk7chtkuwc1

1 hour ago, Mojoguy said:

Not enough tennis, not enough sex. Audiences going to see this for either one end up leaving unsatisfied.

Basically, though I would say Challengers has quite a bit of tennis filmed in visually interesting ways. Maybe that explains the higher scores with men? Though as a female tennis fan of course I know women can like sports and sports movies, too.

Ads hyping Challengers as "one of the sexiest movies ever made" gives the idea it's 50 Shades of Tennis (or more) and it's not. So people who wanted more "action" might be disappointed, though I think the Zendaya fangirls might have had a different issue with the movie than that.

The movie has a ton of product placement, that probably helps offset the $55 million budget somewhat.

41 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I feel like postrak is too focused on the trees to see the forest. A lot of stats and percentages that don't really mean that much 

It runs into the same issue as Cinemascore where not every definite recommend is indicative of how good or bad legs will be. For just two examples, Civil War had a 53% definite recommend two weeks ago before dropping off a bit harshly, while back in December Anyone But You had a 57% definite recommend. A four point different between two movies that will have a sub-3 and 14+ multiplier respectively. That said, a chart keeping track of those numbers would be interesting to see, even if it drives home even more how hard they can be to read.

All I can say is personally I would always default to a probably recommend unless I'm like super duper passionate about a movie. That doesn't necessarily mean I wouldn't recommend it to others.