kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 27.75M THE FALL GUY | 8.72M SW: EP I - TPM | 7.59M CHALLENGERS | 6.50M TAROT

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

Should be comfortably over $100m worldwide now if last weekends international update was $33.7m. 

Are there territories left? This will struggle to break even given that the budget was 50M.

Ironically A24 might be regretting selling off the international rights since it looks like it's gonna be getting a pretty healthy worldwide total. They are doing global distribution for Garland's next project

7 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Are there territories left? This will struggle to break even given that the budget was 50M.

Pre-sold, Japan in October, but it’s doubled its budget theatrically alone already, so I’m sure it’ll be well on its way to profitability. Plus it’s been buzzy so that’ll give it a boost on digital. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Ironically A24 might be regretting selling off the international rights since it looks like it's gonna be getting a pretty healthy worldwide total. They are doing global distribution for Garland's next project

They didn't really have a good int distribution set up at the point they were launching Civil War. Oh well, there's always Garland's next movie.

Any chance A24 gets Megalopolis US release?

I don't think they're gonna pay up for what Coppola's demanding, and I feel like he doesn't really jive with their business model. One of the big techs that can afford a nine-figure loss seems most likely.

I saw Fall Guy last night. I really enjoyed it. It was exactly what I expected it to be. 

That said, I can see why this isn't resonating better with audiences. For something that's hoping to be a date movie, Emily Blunts character is really inconsequential for most of the film. This is Ryan Goslings movie from beginning to end, which is fine, but as a male driven action movie, it doesn't stand out from the crowded pack.

I think there will be some word of mouth on this, but nothing crazy. It'll be fighting to get to $100M domestic.

People talked about Mission Impossible beeping a big hit based on a TV show . Also in the 90s we had The Fugitive which was a gigantic smash and some other solid successes like Maverick and The Brady Bunch Movie. Might be a couple others I’m forgetting 

• Like 1

The Phantom Menace has a solid reputation. It has some real obvious flaws, for sure, but it has some very high peaks, too. 

I honestly considered buying a ticket just to see the pod race and Darth Maul fight on the big screen. The 2 scenes are among my favorite Star Wars sequences. Neeson and McGregor are great as everyone knows. Duel of the fates? 😎

• Like 3

Emily Blunt came off so unlikable in that video where she obnoxiously mocks a nice waitress' weight and American accent. You could see even the (male) host's face fall while she was telling the "joke" like wtf. Made me look at her a different way. 

2 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

I know these films’ audiences are just politically/religiously motivated and that’s what inflates the scores, but that’s a big drop for a film with an A+ cinemascore. 

...this feels like a very hollow victory for me compared to the colossal success if "Hedgehog whup up on a Lion" actually works. 

Fall Guy's "buzz" felt very manufactured and based on the supposed "raves" from SXSW rather than any actual hype among paying audiences.

Gonna have to completely ignore any buzz from THAT particular festival in the future since it's clearly there only for "greatest superhero movie since the Dark Knight" purposes. Clearly it's not a real film festival and only there for people whose brains have been fried from smelling Saint Elon's farts.

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

I know these films’ audiences are just politically/religiously motivated and that’s what inflates the scores, but that’s a big drop for a film with an A+ cinemascore. 

Oh, and cinemascore isn't "real" either. Joker infamously had a B+ despite having a blockbuster run, Civil War had a B- despite the fact that it's had solid audience scores on Letterboxd and elsewhere, and Uncut Gems famously got trashed despite being a great suspense/drama film. All Cinemascore "measures" is how happy an OW audience is with what they get--getting a "crowd pleasing response"  means giving the audience what it wants exactly with no surprises, regardless of the actual film's quality.

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Those who wanted to see it did so last weekend. Easy to get a high CS if you're playing to such a limited/targeted audience.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Religious films tend to all drop into the $10-$25M Total DOM range unless they have a hook to make them go wider...that said, they always tend to make that minimum range and they tend to not cost much, so they are a nice "book the 60 seat screen" option for mid-to-large size theaters who just need material that will sell X amount...

It's the same for anime bookings and Indian film bookings for DOM ranges...Cinemark has gotten really good at juggling these 3 types of films to make sure they are never selling nothing in their screens - every showing usually gets something b/c they churn this type of material a lot...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1