kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 27.75M THE FALL GUY | 8.72M SW: EP I - TPM | 7.59M CHALLENGERS | 6.50M TAROT

1 hour ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

70m int for challengers ?

It's at 23m os. Holdovers should bring it to 45-50m.

You expecting 20m+ from Japan 

Why ?

Thinks it will squeak past 100m . Nothing more than that . 

Probably not. I don’t think it will have significant numbers in Japan although it’s performing decently in South Korea. The bulk of its international business is from Europe. If it continues good legs especially in Italy and the UK, it may be able to cross 100m but we will have to wait and see. 

Posted (edited)

An absolutely enormous part of the EPISODE 1 experience, which everyone forgets, is what it like to live through prerelease build up and hype.  The trailer releases were akin a beloved tv series finale. It was sweet. It was a good 75% bigger then DA FORCE AWAKENS and *felt* bigger than ENDGAME, even though ENDGAME numbers def. prove it was most anticipated film ever. 

Edited by excel1
  • Like 1

Everyone knows Joker 2 is the real start of summer 2024 movie season, be serious. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Astonished 1

2 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Everything looks better if you consider Apes the real start of summer, given that it's an IP Disney sequel with a fuck ton of marketing and all the studios holding their trailers until that comes out. Until this week, trades were calling it the start of summer. Yes obviously Apes will be lower than the typical Marvel launch itself but it's definitely what Hollywood considers the start of summer by the way it is acting IMO.

Only if it breaks $50M OW...anything less and this is gonna start looking really bad...

33 minutes ago, excel1 said:

An absolutely enormous part of the EPISODE 1 experience, which everyone forgets, is what it like to live through prerelease build up and hype.  The trailer releases were akin a beloved tv series finale. It was sweet. It was a good 75% bigger then DA FORCE AWAKENS and *felt* bigger than ENDGAME, even though ENDGAME numbers def. prove it was most anticipated film ever. 

Camped out for those tickets when I was 13. First colossal let down of my life a day later. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Is Star Wars still the most U.S.-leaning meaning major franchise? Not saying it isn’t huge everywhere else, too. But what I’m getting at is that it’s U.S. to international splits are still much more lopsided to domestic than most other major franchises. Can’t think of another like it.

I guess the good thing for future SW movies is they won’t be affected by the downturn of foreign movies in the Chinese market. Cause China never cared (they gave The Force Awakens a shot, I guess).

Edited by Starphanluke
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, excel1 said:

I lined up for Star Wars tickets at what was considered probably the best theatre in my area. I was there for several hours at least before they went on sale. Others were there much longer.

The earliest tickets available when I got to the booth was Saturday late evening I believe.

Media was covering the line ups.

I remember the mood around box office. After Titanic, lots of people just assumed that a new Star Wars movie would put it to shame.

I recall seeing some prediction or unofficial betting site from the era, and the over/under for the five day weekend being around $130M or so, with lots of people taking the over.

In reality, people tended to rush to certain theatres, but lots of screens were relatively empty. It was in the midst of smaller theatres dieing out and being replaced by bigger multiplexes, so lots of places where people wouldn't flock to see a Star Wars film.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, excel1 said:

Don’t undersell The Force Awakens hype. I think nostalgia blinds a lot of people into thinking The Phantom Menace had substantially more excitement and build-up. Maybe it had the edge, but TFA was massive and was fucking everywhere. And it had an advantage over TPM… it was well-liked!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Price is actually the most cited reason for people I talk to. Unless there's a special event movie, they are content with just waiting for it to hit streaming. Not to mention that the cost of everything has gone up tremendously. People are looking for more value in their spending. Taking themselves or their families to the movies costs an arm and a leg, so I don't blame the average joe for deciding to wait for streaming dates.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Camped out for those tickets when I was 13. First colossal let down of my life a day later. 

Sunday the weekend it opened. I remember waiting in line with my mom and sister. The line was into the parking lot.  We finally got tickets and were lucky to find 3 seats together.  The movie ended and I just remember the dead silence as everyone left a packed theater.  I wouldn't call it disappointment. It felt like everyone knew something was off but no one said anything, lol

Posted (edited)

"Fall Guy", "Star Wars" and "Ghostbusters" in the Top 10.   Welcome back to the 1980's folks.   Speaking of "Ghostbusters", that 45 Million OW doesn't look too bad now all things considered.  It's legs haven't been the best but it did get over 100 Million.  

Edited by filmscholar
  • Like 1

Just now, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Apes is gonna disappoint. Mark my words. 

Well, disappoint is relative...I don't think it's going under $28M OW, so it will do better than this weekend...

21 minutes ago, PrinceRico said:

It's true. What's the point of going to see a movie that will be on streaming 3 weeks later.

Anything that flops Universal can put it on PVOD streaming after 17 days. I don't agree with that but it is what it is 

Fall Guy will be basically be done after the 3rd weekend.

5 hours ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Commercials for cars 

Commercials for TV shows 

Commercials for drinks 

15 minutes of that, THEN the trailers start 

20 minutes later, you think the movie's finally gonna start.....

....then Nicole Kidman shows up 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

What are you thinking for Apes OW?

I don't know...last one opened to $56M DOM?  With inflation but countered by reduced audience, I'd think $56M was doable...but after seeing the last month, I'd probably end up putting my marker down for 10-20% off that number...of somewhere around $40-$50M...which will likely disappoint a whole lotta people on this board...under $50M will be bad, and yet I can see it happening.

Mother's Day won't help b/c you aren't bringing mom to this movie (if anything, Fall Guy may have a decent Sunday next weekend)...