kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 27.75M THE FALL GUY | 8.72M SW: EP I - TPM | 7.59M CHALLENGERS | 6.50M TAROT

Just rewatched Speed for it's 30th anniversary. It holds up amazingly well, the bus sequence is still A++++ and the train one has a great ending button of a line, but we always forget the elevator sequence which has a great build of suspense and would be a classic sequence on it's own before the rest of the movie completely overshadows it. 

The funniest shot in the movie is definitely the insert shot of the airline towing guy running away from the explosion to assure the audience that no one died.

With the right marketing campaign and the killer hook again, feel like Speed could still do great at the box office now.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Just rewatched Speed for it's 30th anniversary. It holds up amazingly well, the bus sequence is still A++++ and the train one has a great ending button of a line, but we always forget the elevator sequence which has a great build of suspense and would be a classic sequence on it's own before the rest of the movie completely overshadows it. 

The funniest shot in the movie is definitely the insert shot of the airline towing guy running away from the explosion to assure the audience that no one died.

With the right marketing campaign and the killer hook again, feel like Speed could still do great at the box office now.

This movie is still so dam great and holds up. Will do a rewatch of it next month around June 10th the day it opened.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Amazon MGM Studios’ Challengers is booked at 3,477 theaters and eyeing $2.55M in its second Friday, -59%, for a 3-day around $8.75M, -42%, for a running cume of $30.5M.

That wouldn't be a terrible weekend hold given the PLF loss. Actually pretty good now that I think about it, about a 33% drop from last true weekend

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Lady Gaga is the only movie star Hollywood has birthed in years. 

Florence Pugh would disagree with that.

And if she can keep up the momentum, Sydney Sweeney as well. She’s been everywhere pop culture wise, all she needs is to appear in some good, hit movies.

Hell, if Twisters is big this summer, and Hitman catches on, I’ll add Glenn Powell to that list. 

And are we forgetting Timothee Chalamet, from the biggest movie of the year? And excuse me but Zendaya was also in that AND just opened a freaking tennis movie from a not-super-general-audience-friendly director to 15M. 

Should I continue?

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Lady Gaga was already a well known singer/celebrity prior to starring in movies, so not really. It’s not like they took her from obscurity. She’s a modern day Cher. 

Edited by babz06
  • Like 2

The Fall Guy was very fun. Gosling/Blunt had excellent chemistry. Starts to get a little draggy/overplotted in the second half but the final stunt setpieces are great

• Like 2

DL says 2.65m for Phantom Menace Friday, estimating 8.5m weekend. But with tomorrow being May 4th it seems like it'd have a much bigger jump to me, maybe even as high as 100% which I think would put the 3 day closer to 10m, even a bit over.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood did well but that was Leo + Tarantino + Brad Pitt + 2019, a much more favorable combo for box office success.

I also think what separates that movie from something like The Fall Guy is that it was seen primarily as a nostalgic love letter to a particular time and place from 50 years earlier (not entirely dissimilar to La La Land being a tribute to classic Hollywood musicals), while this movie's concept hinging upon the appeal of the particular topic of stunt people is probably bound to limit the interest from broader demographics. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, babz06 said:

Lady Gaga was already a well known singer/celebrity prior to starring in movies, so not really. It’s not like they took her from obscurity. She’s a modern day Cher. 

Most singers have failed at transitioning to acting. Gaga is 2/2 at spawning hit R rated adult dramas and Joker 2 will fully establish her as an undeniable movie star.

Edited by ListenHunnyUrOver
Typo

7 hours ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

No, they gave it a pass because they never factor in the cost of seeing a film in their reviews. This film looks like a perfectly good movie that I can wait to rent once it's on digital platforms, in my opinion, but a majority of the critics seeing it saw it for free and watching the film is their job. So they don't come out of the film with the same baggage general audiences have (ticket price, time spent, etc.).

What the hell does that have to do with the score a film should get? They are reviewing the movie, not how important it is to watch in a theater. If you want to rent it then rent it, no one is stopping you.

Like, I guess a film like The Holdovers should get a 5/10 by critics because you don't need to see it in theaters at all?  Ridiculous.

If you want to disagree with the critics rhen just disagree with the critics (although your position is surely quite shaky considering you haven't even seen the film), don't make up ridiculous reasons.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CJohn said:

NUCLEAR WASTELAND

Moderation

If you continue this nonsense any further, you will leave me with no other choice but to give you a thread ban. And I know that's not what you want.

2 hours ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

6b0307cbc987f730bdf747989f628144.gif

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

And are we forgetting Timothee Chalamet, from the biggest movie of the year?

I love you.

6 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Hey Eric you ever thought about making your profile Eric Loves Lana Del Rey

I mean I've liked some of the songs she's done, but I don't hardcore stan her the way I do Beyonce or Gaga. But thanks for the suggestion mate :)