kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 58.40M KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES | 13.70M THE FALL GUY | 4.38M CHALLENGERS | TAROT

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Best it remain undervalued tbh or we'll get a million spinoffs that will dilute the value. Even Monsterverse would push it if they did 3 series at once like Marvel does.

There’s been 10 Apes movies. A musical. 2 reboots. A TV show, and a kids cartoon. I don’t know what more we’re meant to get out of this.

Edited by AJG

1 minute ago, AJG said:

There’s been 10 Apes movies. 2 reboots, a TV show, and a kids cartoon. I don’t know what more we’re meant to get out of this.

Another TV show? More animated spinoffs?

1 minute ago, AniNate said:

I mean I think it's valued pretty fairly for what it is at least by the producers. They know both the potential and the ceiling of its audience and they know how to work within those boundaries to produce satisfyingly entertaining and lucrative blockbusters

I was referring more to how consistent the openings have been over the last 5 movies bearing the IP name. Rise was definitely one of the big wild cards of its summer since no one knew how much demand was still left for the IP after the Burton/Wahlberg remake left audiences so utterly dissatisfied (its opening - the second biggest at the time! - made up nearly 40% of its total, pretty rough for 2001) a decade earlier.

Excited to check out Apes soon, might be too busy this weekend though. Honestly just hoping I Saw the TV Glow doesn’t get lost in the shuffle once it starts expanding next week; that’s a movie that’s going to mean a lot to a lot of different people, and even beyond that it’s just such an incredibly original & well-made movie. Can’t stop thinking about it

4 minutes ago, AJG said:

There’s been 10 Apes movies. A musical. 2 reboots. A TV show, and a kids cartoon. I don’t know what more we’re meant to get out of this.

10 Apes movies since the late 60s is not really that much. There isn't THAT much Apes material at any given time, even if it has accumulated over the years. It's not like they were trying to run multiple Ape series at once or do Into the Caesarverse or something.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, AniNate said:

I wouldn't expect great legs from it regardless. 2.5x would be a solid result. Just glad it's now blowing past a lot of the tracking comps the past week.

I could argue it might see a bigger multiplier than War because War was destroyed by competition in summer 2017 and summer 2024 isn’t nearly as packed. Heck, the only PG-13 blockbuster after Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes is Twisters in July in 10 weeks. 

If it holds well throughout the weekend and it doesn’t collapse next week, I could see 150m+.

Edited by AnthonyJPHer
Spelling mistake

Just now, AnthonyJPHer said:

I’d could argue it might see a bigger multiplier than War because War was destroyed by competition in summer 2017 and summer 2024 isn’t nearly as packed. Heck, the only PG-13 blockbuster after Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes is Twisters in July in 10 weeks. 

If it holds well throughout the weekend and it doesn’t collapse next week, I could see 150m+.

Eh, it DOES have significant competition from Furiosa.

7 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Eh, it DOES have significant competition from Furiosa.

Furiosa is R-rated, in two weeks, and I don’t think it would overlap much. I think the two would coexist rather than destroy one another.

6 minutes ago, Shawn Robbins said:

$6.6m from studio, including EA

BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB (in a more respectable way to not get more points 😭)

Posted (edited)

I just came back from Apes, and it was terrific. The visuals in particular were unreal at times. Unlike many bloated messes from last year, this movie actually felt like a $300M epic, despite actually costing half that. I'll definitely be watching the Caesar trilogy once I have the time, and have high hopes for this director's Zelda movie now. For my first Apes movie, I couldn't have asked for a better entry point.

Edited by BadOlCatSylvester
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, TMP said:

Honestly just hoping I Saw the TV Glow doesn’t get lost in the shuffle once it starts expanding next week; that’s a movie that’s going to mean a lot to a lot of different people, and even beyond that it’s just such an incredibly original & well-made movie. Can’t stop thinking about it

I'm very much looking forward to it but if it's anything like World's Fair I think a 5m total would be a huge win.

Nice, should be enough for +50M OW, walkups was great yesterday it seems 

Audiences scores seems normal to me tbh. Dawn and War, two of the best blockbusters of the past descade, only got an A-

This franchise skews older and less online, the movie is also not exactly a prototype of typical adventure blockbusters. B+ isn’t ideal, but it’s good enough.

38 minutes ago, AnthonyJPHer said:

Furiosa is R-rated, in two weeks, and I don’t think it would overlap much. I think the two would coexist rather than destroy one another.

I seriously don't get what the difference is except at the very margins. Apes is very much an "older audiences PG-13"