kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 58.40M KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES | 13.70M THE FALL GUY | 4.38M CHALLENGERS | TAROT

41 minutes ago, John Marston said:

It’s frustrating because people keep claiming they want non Superhero fun action adventure films yet don’t go and see them when they come out. Dungeons and Dragons was kind of doomed by its brand though 

I still think that the movie came out at an atrocious time. It was right against the backdrop of the huge fan revolt against franchise steward Wizards of the Coast, and it got destroyed by Mario the weekend after. With the fans driven away and general audiences saving their money for an imminent phenomenon, no one went to see it. It's a flop I'm nor sure I'll ever be able to fully get over.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Ouch! That was a steep drop. 🤕😬🥶

It's as if  it was on a streaming service that most have or have blu rays or DVD''s of . So every body that wanted to see it in a theater 25 years later saw.it. The fact it made as much as it did shows the power of Star Wars. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

How’s the re-release of ”Star Wars: EP1 TPM” so far? Any numbers for that?

It collapsed, but we all knew much of the money this would earn would be on its rerelease weekend.

2 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

The weather has been glorious this weekend, and unlike in the US, Europeans generally want to be outdoors rather than in a cinema when good weather occurs.

The UK in particular hasn’t been particularly strong for Apes, it’s down quite a bit compared to the previous three. Hopefully it rebounds and holds well next week as the weather deteriorates.

And Eurovision...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Ouch! That was a steep drop. 🤕😬🥶

Hard to see them greenlighting Episode 2 with drops like that word of mouth must be toxic.☹️

• Haha 10
  • Sad 1

I watched Challengers yesterday and I quite liked it! Really is giving Saltburn vibes where it does meh in theaters but the buzz is there bubbling just under the surface, and it’ll subsequently blow up on Prime Video

• Heart 1

Posted (edited)

What feels kind of weird about this year is if you had just switched March and May then it doesn't look near as bad of a summer.

Edited by Cmasterclay

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, abracadabra1998 said:

I watched Challengers yesterday and I quite liked it! Really is giving Saltburn vibes where it does meh in theaters but the buzz is there bubbling just under the surface, and it’ll subsequently blow up on Prime Video

Saltburn didn't "blow up" on Prime Video though. It released December 22nd and as fair as I know never made the Nielsen streaming charts, it for sure didn't during its first 2 weeks when you would think it would have been the most likely to do so. 

Nielsen movie charts for weeks ending December 24th and December 31st. 

GEKJZp7bAAAtx_3?format=jpg

GEuW9Upa0AAlCzM?format=jpg&name=medium

Now obviously Christmas viewership makes for a higher baseline to entry for movies released during that time but still it not making the charts shows at best it was a very modest hit at worst it also didn't do well on streaming (at least in the US were this data that compares multiple streamers is available) 

Edit: I do think Challengers will do better though as it has a better release window which will make it easier to chart and has done better in the box office, has a bigger name attached that is a draw in Zendaya.

Edited by Potiki
  • Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Potiki said:

Saltburn didn't "blow up" on Prime Video though. It released December 22nd and as fair as I know never made the Nielsen streaming charts, it for sure didn't during its first 2 weeks when you would think it would have been the most likely to do so. 

Nielsen movie charts for weeks ending December 24th and December 31st. 

GEKJZp7bAAAtx_3?format=jpg

GEuW9Upa0AAlCzM?format=jpg&name=medium

Now obviously Christmas viewership makes for a higher baseline to entry for movies released during that time but still it not making the charts shows at best it was a very modest hit at worst it also didn't do well on streaming (at least in the US were this data that compares multiple streamers is available) 

Edit: I do think Challengers will do better though as it has a better release window which will make it easier to chart and has done better in the box office, has a bigger name attached that is a draw in Zendaya.

You’re living under a rock if you don’t think Saltburn blew up on prime. 

According to Amazon it was one of their top 10 most watched films ever. And obviously the cultural impact it had demonstrates it was not a flop or whatever you are suggesting. 

Edited by Avatree
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Disbelief 1

4 hours ago, abracadabra1998 said:

Think Challengers is actually doing okay in theaters. Saltburn essentially did nothing. 11M DOM. 20M WW.

2 hours ago, VanillaSkies said:

Empire says 16m for Apes Sunday and Fall Guy actually increased about 5% from Saturday for 5.5m Sunday. Looks like it was a strong Mother’s Day for a lot of movies.

Huh. So it’s looking like a 58m+ weekend if Empire is correct (we’ll see), so I was still wrong with my 57.5m estimate. Damn. I keep taking L’s. At least I got Kung Fu Panda 4 dead on

I wonder if our trackers can shed some light on whether I'm just an outlier here, but at every single theater I tracked this weekend, Apes performed worse than Fall Guy did last weekend.

Wonder if this is just in my small sample of theaters, or if this was a trend across Canada, that Fall Guy was stronger than Apes. Because the pattern is too consistent (Apes doing about 2/3 of Fall Guy OW). 

Abigail was very good.

Very easy to tell Ready Or Not directors made the film. So similar in style and execution. Just a great blend of style, comedy and performances. Destined to be a cult classic for years imo.

8/10

• Like 1

Tarot however, was very bad. Like a movie made in 2004 that Sony forgot they made and then just released now. Which funny enough seems to be the house style for Sony the last few years.

It has that sleek but empty style of that era. The movie plows through tropes and feels like a Frankenstein of other horror films. There is no scares to be had. 

Having said that I do have a certain nostalgia for that era, so this almost falls into that so bad it's good arena where I'm destined to watch it 5 more times just because, full well knowing how bad it is.

2/10

• Like 1

The Fall Guy started off super strong. The first half it had a really nice blend of action, comedy and romance. Movie whips along at a great pace.

The second half however, kind of teeters off for me. It's ironic that earlier in the film a character states having trouble with the 3rd act and it comes true in the film. If I could pin point exactly when the film goes off the rails for me its when Aaron Taylor-Jihnson enters the film. He delivers another Godzilla esque charisma black void Performance here and sucks the life out of the film. The plot revelations also leave a lot to be desired.

Still, Gosling and Blunt are terrific and have so much chemistry. It's not quite as good as I wanted it to be, but I had  a fun time with it.

7/10

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, junkshop36 said:

If accurate this would be a big welcome surprise. This is not the most female friendly franchise so to go over the estimates on Mother's Day.