AniNate

Coco | Pixar / Lee Unkrich | Now playing | #1 all-time in Mexico

Coco is a gorgeous gorgeous film. Also the main song is kind of catchy (complemented very nicely by the soundtrack). Was about to type "I really liked the culture aspect especially", but this sounds generic. I'm not a Mexican, so I can't 100% be sure how culturally similar it is, but I do like the world Pixar created. Characters that have their own "character" and a world that seems its actually lived in. Voice cast was superb btw. 

Story wise, for me some of it dragged to be honest. The ending part however pretty much turned my opinion on it. Enjoyed it overall. Would recommend to anyone interested in Pixar's films. 

Never seen Book of Life so can't compare the two.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

45 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Coco is finding trouble for Internet buzz it seems. It’s been almost a day and it’s at 207K views for the final trailer.

The movie's target audience is going to be largely families, which isn't the crowd that would light up the Internet. This isn't Finding Dory or especially The Incredibles 2, which is likely gonna draw more teens/adults than it will families.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

The movie's target audience is going to be largely families, which isn't the crowd that would light up the Internet. This isn't Finding Dory or especially The Incredibles 2, which is likely gonna draw more teens/adults than it will families.

Still I know that but other animated films this year have all easily been able to cross the 1M view mark in a day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

You're starting to become what Han used to be re: trailer views. Just let it go man. They're useless.

Used to be? :redcapes: 

I still think trailer views are a good metric of tracking early buzz, but once tickets go on sale, any new trailers and their views are largely irrelevant if they aren't impacting sales.

Edited by WrathOfHan

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Used to be? :redcapes: 

I still think trailer views are a good metric of tracking early buzz, but once tickets go on sale, any new trailers and their views are largely irrelevant if they aren't impacting sales.

At no point in time can I remember trailer views correlating with film success (especially considering what a flawed metric it is - who knows how many people are going back to watch the trailer again vs. watching it the first time). If they did, Pixels and Unfriended would've been two of the bigger hits of 2015.

Edited by filmlover

The trailer views might not mean a whole lot for a movie like this, I do really worry that the marketing just hasn't been connecting at all with DOM audiences. It just seems like this has generated very little internet or real world buzz from what I can tell. I am concerned about the opening, I feel like even TGD had more awareness and a marketing presence by this point, and we know how that turned out. This desperately needs as good of reviews as it can get going into OW. 

3 hours ago, Seth Irskens said:

Polygon Review- (RT Critic too) 

https://www.polygon.com/2017/11/8/16621900/coco-disney-pixar-review

But i'm not sure if this is postive or mixed. hard to tell. 

It's considered fresh on RT. Speaking of which, Coco's gone up to 94% RT with an average score of 8.1

Edited by PNF2187

After $75M MXN through Mon, Tue and Wed, the movie's cumulative is $610M MXN/$31M USD, so is practically poised to be #1 All-Time in Mexico surpassing The Avengers ($827M MXN). Also, one of the leggiest movies ever surpassing the multi of films like Avengers (3.8x), Toy Story 3 (4.0x) or Instructions not Included (4.0x) 

• Like 6