BadOlCatSylvester

Weekend Thread (5/17-19/2024) | WEEKEND ESTIMATES: $35M for IF, $12M for Strangers, $2.85M for Back to Black, $26M for Apes

52 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

What's up with horror this year lol. Like seriously what the fuck happened.

Most of the horror movies have been terrible and mediocre. I don't blame people who save their hard money instead of going to watch crap like Tarot and The Strangers Chapter 1. 

27 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I didn't see it but Babes was this Monday's secret/mystery movie for AMC/Regal/Cinemark. I've heard the humor is very Ilana Glazer so enjoyment of it depends on how much a person generally likes her style.

Never watched Broad City, but whenever that show is brought up, I think of this one cutaway gag from Family Guy where Stewie goes to jail for saying he didn’t like the show. Not saying I think Broad City looks bad, but that’s just a gag that stuck with me.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh Back to Black has been a big hit here for sure. It’s within striking distance of Godzilla x Kong and Ghostbusters. 

Crazy the disconnect with Europe vs the rest of the world with GxK considering Godzilla spent most of the movie in Europe.

3 minutes ago, MattW said:

Deadline is delaying longer than usual. Under 10m opening day?

I dunno.  Family movie ticket buying should be about wrapped up on the east coast (unless this is displaying unexpected 13-24 strength ala Panda and Minions), so this shouldn't be hard to extrapolate by this point...

• Like 1

It's feeling like BB:ROD might be the first live action movie of the summer to both  really break out and over perform it's expectations and please it's audience.  Everything seems set up for  that.  Get a feeling Furiosa might have the same divisive if not more so reaction that Apes did. Fall Guy is well liked but not enough  people are  bothering to see it. Will be interesting.

26 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Get a feeling Furiosa might have the same divisive if not more so reaction that Apes did. 

What is that based on? Audience reception out of Cannes?

21 minutes ago, Squire said:

What is that based on? Audience reception out of Cannes?

No.Probably just being paranoid. Just the reviews have said it does not play like Fury Road. It takes it's time and and is not a petal to to the metal ride like Fury Road was. After that Apes reaction where so many people seem to be not happy that it is not a all action  from beginning to end and takes it's time. They are different movies but just never sure how moviegoers are going to react to something if they don't think they got what they wanted any more.

• Like 1

IF doing very good walkups in Canada which… makes sense lol. I’ve said for a long time on here that RR is huge in BC for obvious reasons. Definitely playing like a 4-quad blockbuster here, just like Free Guy did. All my comps are at 14-15M true Friday. Canadian long weekend also contributing to the over performance. 

• Like 1

Starpower not dead? 🤔

I know the high tracking and reported budget make it seem less impressive but it is pretty notable that this original family film will likely out-open the last two Disney branded ones imo