kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [05.24 - 05.27, 2024] | 4-day actuals | 32.3M FURIOSA: A MAD MAX SAGA | 31.3M THE GARFIELD MOVIE | 22.3M IF | 17.6M KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

30 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

The only good aspect of this is the If/Garfield duopoly disappointing will hopefully make people on here shut it with the FAMILIES ARE STARVED line for about a week.

Bluey movie 150 ow

• Like 1
  • Astonished 3

Posted (edited)

This has been one of the worst overall May performances I could remember and makes last year look like Gangbusters.  "Apes" is the only big success and that was actually more of a "Mild" Success.    June is much more promising with "Bad Boys" and "Inside Out 2".  "Quiet Place" could be a wild card.   Also for people saying "Gladiator II" could suffer "Furiosa" Fate (I get the comparison, as a film sequel/prequel that doesn't bring back anyone main stars from the original, Twisters is in the same boat).   I got one word for you "DENZEL".   He's still a draw.   People will go since he's in it.    

Edited by filmscholar

Just now, TalismanRing said:

Maybe 50% were starved and the rest are just hungry or peckish and can wait for better  before they blow $100 or so on a family outing.  Still doesn't mean that the market place under served a key demographic and made stupid self sabotaging scheduling decisions.

They're not underserved if they're just waiting until streaming to watch these things as a group.

5 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

List is....very white. And I'm not even saying that to be woke or PC or whatever the fuck the buzz word is now, it's just that 1990-2020 was a hugely lucrative time for black leads (mostly men) and it's weird that none of these are black men. Especially given how black audiences have returned to theaters more than white audiences and propelled a couple of the surprise hits. I'd buy Damson Idris or Daniel Kaluuya or even Bridgerton guy over alot of these people, not to mention Michael B Jordan, who is barely older than Glenn Powell.

Noticed that as well. One Latina woman, one Black biracial woman, and…a 35 year old man lol

They made a similar list two years ago with 15 actors (including repeats of Jenna Ortega and Austin Butler) that included more diversity: Darren Barnet (who was also in Anyone But You), Ayo Edibiri, Stephanie Hsu, etc. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/next-gen-talent-2022-meet-the-hollywood-reporters-12-rising-young-stars/meg-stalter/

Some of the actors on that list panned out, some sort of stalled.

• Like 2

I was thinking about TikTok and how the brief period where going viral on there = theatrical success is basically over now. Like, going viral helped Hunger Games a lot. Since then Challengers has gone viral on there, there have been millions of memes of The Fall Guy, even Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes is having a viral moment. TikTok virality means nothing anymore.

1 minute ago, Speedorito said:

Noticed that as well. One Latina woman, one Black biracial woman, and…a 35 year old man lol

They made a similar list two years ago with 15 actors (including repeats of Jenna Ortega and Austin Butler) that included more diversity: Darren Barnet (who was also in Anyone But You), Ayo Edibiri, Stephanie Hsu, etc. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/next-gen-talent-2022-meet-the-hollywood-reporters-12-rising-young-stars/meg-stalter/

In a world where all the big stars of every industry, from music to athletics to politics, is older than ever - I think that the "young" label is nebulous compared to "fresh." If you asked me who the big "new star" in Hollywood to carry the next decade is, I'd say Pedro Pascal without hesitation, probably followed by Donald Glover if he counts as new at all. I think that stars are gonna get a little older in film like they are in every field.

• Like 1

My theater was dead last night but holy hell Deadline early estimates. 

Ouch, it’s looking really bad. Warner Bros.’ Furiosa is possibly posting the lowest opening for a Memorial Day movie in 41 years with a 4-day between $31M-$35M. How the holy heck is that? If the George Miller directed prequel comes in on the low end, the last time a No. 1 movie or Memorial Day opening title filed a 4-day gross take that was lower was back in 1983 with 1983’s Return of the Jedi when it made $30.5M — and that was a lot of money back then.

If Furiosa hits at the high end of its current range at $35M, then that’s the lowest Memorial Day weekend opening since 1984’s Indiana Jones and the Temple which did $33.9M. Those ’80s grosses are unadjusted for inflation.

• Sad 5

3 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

And most of the actors on the current list were already well around and even established  when they skipped them over for the older list.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

I was thinking about TikTok and how the brief period where going viral on there = theatrical success is basically over now. Like, going viral helped Hunger Games a lot. Since then Challengers has gone viral on there, there have been millions of memes of The Fall Guy, even Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes is having a viral moment. TikTok virality means nothing anymore.

I think virality only works for things that people are already familiar with. Minions: Rise of Gru got a boost and was already part of a successful franchise, while The Hunger Games was already a best selling book series.

The list is basically the flavor of the year of actors. Next year or in two years probably over half of them are not there anymore. Chalamet and Zendaya is probably the only ones that stays relevant over the next years

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Gladiator was 100x more popular than Fury Road. Be serious. 

It is but I understand some concern.  It is a younger new cast.   Also it's 24 years later so you have to appeal to a new generation. Denzel is the biggest Name and he's not the main Gladiator. "Fury Road" came out 9 years ago so it was a little more fresher on people minds (Though a Decade is still long) which is why these "Furiosa" numbers are little surprising.   

Edited by filmscholar

6 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

This has been one of the worst overall May performances I could remember and makes last year look like Gangbusters.  "Apes" is the only big success and that was actually more of a "Mild" Success.    June is much more promising with "Bad Boys" and "Inside Out 2".  "Quiet Place" could be a wild card.   Also for people saying "Gladiator II" could suffer "Furiosa" Fate (I get the comparison, as a film sequel/prequel that doesn't bring back anyone main stars from the original, Twisters is in the same boat).   I got one word for you "DENZEL".   He's still a draw.   People will go since he's in it.    

Yeah not worried about Gladiator 2 at all if we get Gladiator, American Gangster, Martian. Last Duel Ridley but if is more Robin Hood, Exodus, Napoleon Ridley than yeah. The industry buzz is good but that may mean nothing. But the trailer blew people away at Cinema Con and Denzel will be the name and the supporting cast is great to back up Mescal who may have a Crowe like breakout if everything goes right.

16 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Maybe 50% were starved and the rest are just hungry or peckish and can wait for better  before they blow $100 or so on a family outing.  Still doesn't mean that the market place didn't under serve a key demographic and made stupid self sabotaging scheduling decisions.

Partuclary since there is no shortage of family orieneted entartaiment on streaming.

But thanks for point out something a lo tof people here don't get? How expensive a family outing to a movie can be nowdays.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Unfitclock said:

So deadline just put up there estimates ummmm their 3 day weekends make no sense considering Sunday will be a single percentage drop or increase did they forget that

Yep deadline anthony math terrible as always. If that makes one dollar an hour it's one dollar too much. Still not great weekend but will not be as bad as he is saying.

Posted (edited)

The fanboys in this forum won’t admit it but the marketing for Furiosa was awful. The trailers and ads either give you no idea what the movie is about or they gave the impression the film leans too heavily on the previous film that made it seem like a prerequisite in order to understand or appreciate this film. WOM and reviews may propel it over the next few weeks; but this was never going to be reach Fury Road’s heights.

I would not be surprised if Garfield outgrosses it this weekend.

Edited by LonePirate
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Unfitclock said:

So deadline just put up there estimates ummmm their 3 day weekends make no sense considering Sunday will be a single percentage drop or increase did they forget that

I mean...it seems legit. Furiosa's estimated at 27, following TGM with a 7.5 True Friday gives it 28M. Garfield's estimated at 24, following Little Mermaid gives you...20M. So yeah, expecting a better IM from that, since there's no Disney Adults rushing to see it...24M for the 3-Day also sounds likely.

But yeah, lol Deadline is probably gonna be lol Deadline, so...hopefully these can still get to Prince of Persia numbers...maybe? Hopefully? Maybe?

• Like 1