AniNate

08/09 WEEKEND: DP&W 53.8, IEWU 50, Borderlands 8.6 ​💣💣💣

I seriously doubt Borderlands is all Eli Roth's fault. You don't make a bad movie like this and blame it all in the director. There's probably script issues production issues behind the scenes in fighting and imbroglio.  I'm not saying Roth doesn't have to take responsibility for some of it but he's not that big of a name of a director where he could screw this up all by himself.

• Like 1

How do you waste such a cast? I think that should be the biggest question here!

Most other shitty video game adaptions had a cast ranging from meh to garbage, but this one actually had a bunch of very successful actors coming together (seeing all of them being announced for this hyped the hell out of me actually) and then, according to reviews, they couldn't make a single good joke or a single dramatic moment land? How is that even possible?

Has there ever been anything like this before? Maybe Pluto Nash? (not a video game adaptation though)

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 1

All right I'm going to be a little bit jingoistic here for a couple minutes. I love the fact that Deadpool and Wolverine has such a Canadian spin to it. I'm of course from Canada and Ryan Reynolds is Canadian Shawn Levy is Canadian and he was born in the same Hometown that I was. And of course the two main characters in the movie are also canadian. I know this is all arbitrary pride but it's still kind of cool to see such a Canadian flavored film do so well.

• Like 3
  • Heart 1

17 minutes ago, filmlover said:

D+ for Borderlands is incredible tbh. Could this actually miss $20M total? Next weekend's drop will be ugly.

I was playing around with the idea in my head that it opens to 8m and ends with just over 15m. A challenge, yes, but I think B-lands is up to the task. 

7 minutes ago, baumer said:

All right I'm going to be a little bit jingoistic here for a couple minutes. I love the fact that Deadpool and Wolverine has such a Canadian spin to it. I'm of course from Canada and Ryan Reynolds is Canadian Shawn Levy is Canadian and he was born in the same Hometown that I was. And of course the two main characters in the movie are also canadian. I know this is all arbitrary pride but it's still kind of cool to see such a Canadian flavored film do so well.

And Logan is also from Canada. You and Canada have more than earned this, baumer. Fuck yeah celebrate it.

2 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Most other shitty video game adaptions had a cast ranging from meh to garbage, but this one actually had a bunch of very successful actors coming together (seeing all of them being announced for this hyped the hell out of me actually) and then, according to reviews, they couldn't make a single good joke or a single dramatic moment land? How is that even possible?

Has there ever been anything like this before? Maybe Pluto Nash? (not a video game adaptation though)

Another case of "promising concept, botched execution." I wouldn't even feel bad for Eli Roth though because he'll likely stay within the horror genre in the foreseeable future after what sounds like a highly troubled production here (he actually made Thanksgiving after Borderlands while the latter sat in limbo for years).

I will say that between this and Madame Web, 2024 is doing a phenomenal job proving that, no matter what happens or what developments occur in this industry (whether it's #MeToo or the threat of AI), the Studio Hack Job will always be a thing. Kraven the Hunter (which was also made forever ago) is looking to complete the trilogy when it finally sees the light of day in December.

27 minutes ago, filmlover said:

D+ for Borderlands is incredible tbh. Could this actually miss $20M total? Next weekend's drop will be ugly.

- Abysmal word of mouth right off the bat

- Opening weekend is DOA

- Alien: Romulus will be taking all of the PLF screens 

I think we could be looking at a 60-70% drop.

14 minutes ago, baumer said:

I seriously doubt Borderlands is all Eli Roth's fault. You don't make a bad movie like this and blame it all in the director. There's probably script issues production issues behind the scenes in fighting and imbroglio.  I'm not saying Roth doesn't have to take responsibility for some of it but he's not that big of a name of a director where he could screw this up all by himself.

I dont blame him at all I blame the studio and Randy Pitchford. I knew it was going to be bad when I saw the cast. It seems they just went for well known names other then how they fit the character. Also not using Handsome Jack as tge villain is another bad decision. Roth is a good director he will be fine. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

it tells you A-list actors can accept to make movies before reading a script, which is sad honestly. 

25 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

That’s an old Hollywood problem and the fact that there are truly people in position of power from both studios to actual directors, producers and actors that don’t seem to understand that there isn’t such a thing as "videogame is the new comic book adaptations" or whatever astounds me.

Video games are just like any other medium, and they can give studios two things, ideally the combined, but not necessarily: an established fan base with a massive following (Super Mario Bros) and extremely well crafted and rich storytelling (The Last of Us, Fallout). Look Hollywood and old guard of actors I know that ageism is awful and a real problem at your profession, but Red didn’t fly back in 2010 and it wouldn’t fly now even without COVID happening. Unlike comic book adaptations that gives you massive following AND also an insane amount of storytelling, Borderlands has always been a FPS shooter with an excuse of a storyline. No one plays Borderlands because of the story, it was because it felt fun to shoot in that game.

It isn’t like let’s say Fallout and even never adapted videogame properties like Valorant and even Overwatch. Borderlands doesn’t have enough story or following to justify a recent game, let alone a film. It would never work. The whole endeavor feels dated because people think they can use these properties as vehicles to their careers with no clue, care and understanding of what makes these properties tick, or if they tick at all.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, baumer said:

It was reported he rewrote Mazin's script which was great (also reportedly) initially. So yeah, it's literally Roth's fault if true 

Edited by cinema pal
  • Like 1