CJohn

SPECTRE | 11/6/15 | Final Trailer on Page 126! | Twitter reactions coming in, STID 2.0?

54 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I don't usually argue for product placement covering a significant portion of the budget, but we already know that Sony does a ton of PP for the Bonds, and gets quite a bit of cash from that. Adjusting for this, they're spending much less than the $350m.

Surprised, since most product placment is done more for mutual publicity/marketing then in hopes of getting any real cash.

59 minutes ago, tigerstrp1 said:

The Man with the Golden Gun cost 7 mil and made 97.6.

I think it did fine.

Correct. It was the lowest grossing  (adjucted for inflatation) of all the Bond films, but still made a mint for Eon/UA.

But Brocolli was concerned about the big drop off in revenue from Live and Let Die, and did a major revamp of the series for the next Bond,The Spy Who Loved Me,and had a huge,huge,hit.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, bapi said:

100M for marketing just seems way too low. I mean Sony spent 185-190M on The Amazing Spider-Man 2's marketing campaign and that was after they already sold merchandise rights back to Marvel...

This is where marketing tie-ins kick in. The products market Bond and themselves. That lowers or negates the studios marketing spend. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bapi said:

61% on RT and 59 on Metacritic so it's in yellow now.

The way it is falling on RT, it's going to be the worst Bond movie for 30 years. This will probably mean Craig is definitely back for the next one, because he won't want to leave after a critical failure, and all involved are going to have to up their game next time. 

4 minutes ago, Spaghetti said:

Is $5-6m a reasonable estimate for previews?

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3563

Thursday/Midnight Update: Skyfall is already off to a strong start at the domestic box office. The 23rd James Bond movie earned $2.2 million on Thursday at 463 IMAX and premium large-format theaters, and then added $2.4 million from midnight shows.

I can't find any data on how many midnight shows there were in addition to the IMAX Thur. 

Spectre will be doing 7pm shows this time w/o an all day IMAX so hard to compare.

59 minutes ago, bapi said:

Honestly Craig has contract for one more movie and he's nobody without Bond plus if it moves to WB they'd be crazy to make radical changes if Spectre crosses at least 900M WW, I think.

Why would "being nobody" matter to Craig?  He's made a ton of money,  hates the press, fervently guards his privacy and hasn't filmed any movies other than Bond in about 5 years so it's not like he'd even using Bond to make other movies.  He's dropped out of several other films, his last non Bond project was theater and his next will be as well so maybe that's what he'd rather do since he can well afford it.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3563

I can't find any data on how many midnight shows there were in addition to the IMAX Thur. 

Spectre will be doing 7pm shows this time w/o an all day IMAX so hard to compare.

Generally speaking, the overall increase in showtimes should counter the all-day IMAX bonus that SKYFALL had. $4-5m should be the floor that SPECTRE needs to clear in order to avoid an "uh oh" for the forums.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

ight not match the $800m O/S of Skyfall because I doubt it will have the long legs it had in many markets.

Yeah, it's another GOS in that regard. It won't have the legs of Skyfall to help this time, because it's apparently of "lesser quality". 

• Like 1

It seems to have been greeted with much more negative reviews stateside than it has here in Britain. Which is amazing really. Sure you can say Bond is British etc, but a number of well respected critics here have raved it. 

I only got the chance to see it this afternoon and very much enjoyed it. It's much more of a traditional Bond episode than the three that have preceded it.  If you like James Bond movies then you'll have a good time.