Krissykins

Weekend thread August 16th-18th Alien Romulus $6.5m previews

4 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

A Quiet Place Day One did $6.8m and opened to $52.2m. 

Thinking this will be more frontloaded, so $45-47m maybe? 

Can’t wait to see it tonight in IMAX. 

I hope it's 50M. Will it be a first to have two August openers open to 50M back-to-back?

• Like 1

Seeing this one later today. 

$6.5M in previews is a solid start, but word-of-mouth will be key in determining whether this hits $50M this weekend. 

Still, a $45M debut for this movie would be very good in relation to its budget and the kind of franchise it is apart of. 

I had this doing 25m OW the entire summer until the presale surge, so certainly above my expectations for what I thought was a Furiosa esque dead old white person franchise. Should probably get 100m with no real competition.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Fantastic debuts for Alien and Coraline. The latter's going to post one of the bigger debuts for a re-release in a while, impressive considering it's a much newer movie than the majority of the other titles that have been reissued lately.

5 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I had this doing 25m OW the entire summer until the presale surge, so certainly above my expectations for what I thought was a Furiosa esque dead old white person franchise. Should probably get 100m with no real competition.

"Dead old white person franchise?" I'm sorry but that's a hilarious way to describe something. 

Though even before this opening, I would not really put Alien as a franchise on the same level of Mad Max. It may be geared towards more older people and not really younger or more diverse audiences, but it still has a big fanbase that if the movie is good (like Romulus supposedly is) does expand beyond that. 

12 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Fathom’s re-release of Coraline at 1,570 theaters made $3.1M yesterday. 

Considering it’s supposed to bump up to about 2500 theatres for the weekend and that it’s family friendly, it should definitely have a nice weekend ahead. 

5 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

"Dead old white person franchise?" I'm sorry but that's a hilarious way to describe something. 

Though even before this opening, I would not really put Alien as a franchise on the same level of Mad Max. It may be geared towards more older people and not really younger or more diverse audiences, but it still has a big fanbase that if the movie is good (like Romulus supposedly is) does expand beyond that. 

Just a shorthand that we have been using on these boards. Outside Top Gun, films that skew older and whiter tend to struggle a bit, just demographically, and I figure this was definitely that.

• Like 1

Furiosa flopped because it arrived way too late to take advantage of whatever lingering goodwill Fury Road had nearly a decade later and on top of that was a prequel with a whole new cast. The draw for the Alien franchise will always be...well, the aliens.

• Like 6