Krissykins

Weekend thread August 16th-18th Alien Romulus $6.5m previews

3 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

On the real real, I used to be obsessed with older women but Spaeny and Ortega have cured me to liking girls my own age

Same but with height (usually not into shorter women but Spaeny is one of the few exceptions)

1 hour ago, stuart360 said:

What do people think the chances are of a 3x MP for ALIEN?. I know that doesnt happen often for these kind of films but a nice 120mil finish would be cool for this, and hopefully greenlight another ALIEN film (please keep lt away from Scott though).

300mil WW would also be cool and probably garauntee another film.

Romulus opened internationally very close to Covenant's opening (just a little lower). With a better reception and bigger domestic opening than Covenant, which made $240m WW with atrocious legs, I'd say under $300m WW would be a bit shocking given the positive reception Romulus is getting.
It still has to open in Japan too.

8 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Grateful king. 80M here we goooooo

Holding up better than Old so far. 50 mil DOM would be a great success

edit: nvm. Compared the wrong weekends. Still trailing behind Old. Still, 40 mil+ would be nice to see.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, AniNate said:

I don't know if this was a conscious Laika intention, but the Coraline box office numbers do show that there is a long-term benefit to owning and distributing their movies if you want them. They may be loss leaders at the box office but typically you can count on the kind of artistic merit being there that will draw audience interest for years to come. Wildwood still doesn't have a distributor yet and I think in a way it was a move to make themselves look attractive to one. 

I'm surprised Focus hasn't snapped it up, they had a good relationship with Laika. 

9 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

I’m not even saying $29m, but if Deadpool and Wolverine gets anywhere close to $28.5m it would be crazy compared with Jurassic World’s 4th weekend. That was during July 4th weekend, this is a random ass weekend.

I mean it’s extremely likely to beat JW 4th weekend

8 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

For 714M be considered a big hit, the budget have to be grounded as well

Didn’t the next Captain cost 375M? It have to do a billion minimum. 

When studios bring their tentpole budgets back to 150-170M, then people will accept 600-700M as big hits.

Budgets can’t return to 2014 levels in nominal. 160M budget from 2014 is equivalent of 210M now from inflation.     

Movies doing approx real performance of TWS would be looked at as big hits (unless they were event movies finaling there only because of bad receptions+legs) but what people have to realize is that matching TWS performance would be ~350 DOM low 600s OS for mid 900s. Doing low 700s isn’t similar to TWS it’s quite a bit worse. A bit better than Cap1 but closer to that than Cap2…

• Like 1

8 hours ago, emoviefan said:

Next weekend could be interesting. Unless Romulus has a better hold than it seems like it will right now or either the Crow or Blink Twice really surprise, nothing will do over 20 m. But it should still be a solid weekend overall with how well movies have been holding. The real question is can DP and W retake number one. It has taken it's PLF hit and obv has way more GA/Casual appeal than Romulus. I could see it doing in the 17-20 range and Romulus doing the same. Gonna be interesting.

Decent chance DPW can crack 20. Could be close #1 race yeah

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

3 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Grateful king. 80M here we goooooo

His movies do really well in the ancillary market. His name alone attracts people to watch his movies at home. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Cooper Legion said:

Budgets can’t return to 2014 levels in nominal. 160M budget from 2014 is equivalent of 210M now from inflation.     

Movies doing approx real performance of TWS would be looked at as big hits (unless they were event movies finaling there only because of bad receptions+legs) but what people have to realize is that matching TWS performance would be ~350 DOM low 600s OS for mid 900s. Doing low 700s isn’t similar to TWS it’s quite a bit worse. A bit better than Cap1 but closer to that than Cap2…

True. Like i said, with bigger budgets, the grosses now have to the bigger too to be considered a success. But you explained my point better than myself haha.

I think Fox and some other creatives are doing a tremendous job in making 80-100M movies that looks like they cost the double. The industry really should be paying attention, it’s such a better and more sustainable place to be. I’m very curious about the next Jurassic budget, since Gareth is one of these artists who know how to make things efficiently and cheap.

Many movies can’t and won’t be made with less than 200M, but it’s quite remarkable how many movies costs 250-300M these days and looks so bad that it’s obvious they could’ve made it cheaper and get the same result. This era of “let’s fix it on post” with a lot of reshoots and late changes due to lack of organization on pre-production made a serious damage in movies finances and inflate their budgets.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

His movies do really well in the ancillary market. His name alone attracts people to watch his movies at home. 

Yes, he’s a very interesting example of financial responsibility. Know his audience, know how much he can invest in order to get all back in long term and re-invest in the next project. 

Dude is self-financing his own movies for a decade now and still going strong. He seems better as an executive than a lot of these studio heads haha.

4 hours ago, Cooper Legion said:

There's a reason studios are moving more and more productions out of America. The unintended consequence of the Writers and Actors guilds getting what they asked for is, more productions will be moved out of the country because they still need to make a profit.

8 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Alien: Romulus is expected to make more on MON than FRI opening day in China

FRI - $6.04M

SAT - $8.96M

SUN - $11.2M

MON - $7.4M (projected)

Next comes Tues > Sat ;) 

Fantastic result for Alien. 

With Avatar, First Omen, Apes, Prey, Hellraiser and now this - 20th Century Studios is doing a stellar job handling their horror/sci franchises. 

I look forward to the inevitable AvP reboot (Third time's the charm 🤞)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gavin Feng said:

Alien: Romulus is expected to make more on MON than FRI opening day in China

FRI - $6.04M

SAT - $8.96M

SUN - $11.2M

MON - $7.4M (projected)

What if it ends up making more in China than US. 

16 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

It might happen. Some already expected it to be NO.1 foreign movie of 2024 with $130M lifetime. I’m not gonna give a prediction until second weekend. 

2 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

Would be super extremely rare occasions when China has better movie taste than USA.

• Haha 1