ZeeSoh

Joker: Folie à Deux Weekend Thread

4 minutes ago, Eric Quinn said:

Important to note that yesterday was Rosh Hashana, which will cause closures for some districts. My district always closed for the holiday. Just so others don’t freak out if Friday/Saturday increases are poor.

Was just about to say this.  Family movies increasing better than expected Thursday and Friday shouldn't be a surprise but this will most likely result in a more muted Saturday increase.

6 minutes ago, Eric Quinn said:

Important to note that yesterday was Rosh Hashana, which will cause closures for some districts. My district always closed for the holiday. Just so others don’t freak out if Friday/Saturday increases are poor.

Ah, was wondering if there was some other calendar even that might be boosting th. This sounds about right 

8 minutes ago, YM! said:

Actually Illumination is still in development on the third one.

That quote is from 2022 and it still doesn’t even have an IMDB page. We’re 5 years on from part two and nothings happened, so my example still stands. 

4 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

Kang Dynasty would have smashed the Marvels record, RIP.

I can still see the next Avengers movie making $1.7-1.8 billie worldwide, aka a billion less than Endgame. Like, that doesn't seem unrealistic. That still requires making a shit ton of money. But it's not exactly comparable.

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

I haven’t seen Joker 2, but honestly if it sucks im okay with seeing a bomb for the ages. I always champion box office, because I want theaters to stay alive, but an I’ll-conceived bomb can be fun too.

That being said, what I’m scared of is studios (again) taking the wrong message. Rather than “let’s put in the time and effort to make our movies good in the future” I can almost guarantee that the response will be “movies that take creative risks = bad. Everything must be generic from now on.” Or god forbid, “everything should be straight to streaming.”

Sequels are hot if they're crowd pleasers.

That's might be the takeaway.

1 minute ago, Cooper Legion said:

Ah, was wondering if there was some other calendar even that might be boosting th. This sounds about right 

TFOne still did decrease slightly from yesterday, just now the week-week comparison looks better because it's now being compared to PLF-less days. Wild Robot's PLF-loss increase is meaningful imo. It's also not terribly uncommon for Thursdays to increase holiday or no.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AniNate said:

TFOne still did decrease slightly from yesterday, just now the week-week comparison looks better because it's now being compared to PLF-less days. Wild Robot's PLF-loss increase is meaningful imo. It's also not terribly uncommon for Thursdays to increase holiday or no.

I'm just wondering, off a $1.8M Thursday, what does WR do this weekend? HT2's weekend/Thursday multiplier gets us to $30M

50 minutes ago, toutvabien said:

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom being sent out to die and still doubling the $ of Flash, Joker 2 and The Marvels will always be fascinating.

All the reports that the movie was garbage and awful but it came out and it was just More Aquaman and functionally identical to the first film. I watched it and I knew why they stopped bothering because the year was a wash anyway but it's very funny in hindsight that they put their full marketing might behind the Flash of all things. 

7 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

That quote is from 2022 and it still doesn’t even have an IMDB page. We’re 5 years on from part two and nothings happened, so my example still stands. 

They mentioned to still be working on it last year, when Mario opened too.

1 minute ago, wattage said:

All the reports that the movie was garbage and awful but it came out and it was just More Aquaman and functionally identical to the first film. I watched it and I knew why they stopped bothering because the year was a wash anyway but it's very funny in hindsight that they put their full marketing might behind the Flash of all things. 

The Flash only had a 120M marketing budget which is lower than the 150M these movies typically have. They did not go "all in" in marketing the Flash. They did go all in with something like Barbie, which has a huge 175M marketing budget (it paid off)

And it also it has a 33% RT, B CinemaScore

It is incredible how much everything we know of the more and more just seems to make this movie even more repellant. It hates the people that made the first one into a success, the people who hated the first one aren't going to suddenly like it. Musical fans get Jukebox so little to no songs from Lady Gaga. And Lady Gaga's role is supposedly cut down.

To quote Under the Red Hood: And Everybody Still Loses. 

Edited by Shadow2001

14 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I was about to say this, it having a very nice increase despite the PLF loss even with a holiday is really good. I also want to wrap this around to it's Wednesday numbers, very possible some people were holding off on seeing it Wednesday and just waiting for the holiday weekend to roll around. So that would explain a lot. 

4 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Should Mufasa be in the drop off competition? 

It's a prequel spin off not a direct sequel like The Marvels.

Even if it was a straight prequel I would think it should be counted but I think the movie is a prequel and sequel hybrid or something. Isn't all of the old cast coming back? 

50 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

The Marvels record will still stand though as biggest drop off ever from 1 to 2. That was -$924m less than the first.

I actually don’t think that can ever be topped. Well, never say never 😅

It will be topped. These movies nowadays have no floor