Mojoguy

Weekend Thread | October 18-20 | 23M SMILE | 9.3M TERRIFIER

26 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Certainly if the point has already been made multiple times with no new insight being added to it, and people are just saying it because they like to see themselves talk.

Honestly you are right. I probably just wrote that to myself because I was thinking it. The point has been made many times.  I think I made some good points though.  It's crazy a 4 day holiday weekend is being given up. 

Edited by emoviefan

4 hours ago, JonathanMB said:

Hah, there we go.

Great start, didn't even realize it would be entering the top 5 for the weekend until now; been a while since a movie in under 1,000 achieved that, right? With good WOM and another big expansion next weekend it may even be able to stay in the top 5 for a couple more weeks...

This has similar trajectory and expansion like Priscilla last year, except the WOM is much better at 93% as compared to 63%. 

I saw the movie and find that the movie's non-linear structure hurt the movie's flow and vibe. But the movie got better in the second half and finish at the satisfying note. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AniNate said:

Certainly if the point has already been made multiple times with no new insight being added to it, and people are just saying it because they like to see themselves talk.

I get that, but also consider that not everyone reads everything everyone else posts in here, so sometimes it's just two different people arriving at the same conclusion independently without knowing that the point has already been made and discussed elsewhere.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

I get that, but also consider that not everyone reads everything everyone else posts in here, so sometimes it's just two different people arriving at the same conclusion independently without knowing that the point has already been made and discussed elsewhere.

That wasn't the case here

1 hour ago, Johnny Tran said:

What's interesting to me about the 'Joker 2' debacle is that even after how much of a disaster it is,  the franchise itself will still be highly profitable because of how profitable the first one was for WB.   I bet they wished they just ended it there.  

Not sure if it's as profitable as you think because of revenue sharing on Joker 1.

I did notice one amusing thing looking over the box office results.

People on here like to complain A LOT that "people are starved for/crave family movies!" I'm pretty sure they aren't THAT starved though considering how poorly TFOne did vs. Wild Robot when they opened close together. I think there's a pretty noticeable cap on demand for any movie running on a "12 and under audience". As opposed to horror, which can have multiple successes at once (Smile and Terrifier succeeding at the same time). So outside of very specific windows like Christmas I don't think think the "kids' market" is actually content starved. Either that or parents prerfer to leave their kids at home and just use streaming at a young age.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

I did notice one amusing thing looking over the box office results.

People on here like to complain A LOT that "people are starved for/crave family movies!" I'm pretty sure they aren't THAT starved though considering how poorly TFOne did vs. Wild Robot when they opened close together. I think there's a pretty noticeable cap on demand for any movie running on a "12 and under audience". As opposed to horror, which can have multiple successes at once (Smile and Terrifier succeeding at the same time). So outside of very specific windows like Christmas I don't think think the "kids' market" is actually content starved. Either that or parents prerfer to leave their kids at home and just use streaming at a young age.

Transformers is gonna make more money than Terrifier most likely and Wild Robot will make more than Smile. The dual success is due to the extremely low budgets but in terms of admissions both of those family films are seeing more business and also in terms of actual gross they'll be higher too most likely. I think that speaks to the fact that a dearth of family options will drive families to theaters, whether that's enough for the studios is another story. Clearly not great for Paramount in this case. 

• Like 1

What I always forget and have to relearn when I'm tasked with chaperoning the kids: they have to pee so much. Just...so many pee breaks. Pee break before the movie, during the movie and after the movie. I should've known better than to let them have the big slushies. But they all had fun today and it was nice to see Wild Robot today and they all really liked it. We also did wind up seeing Nightmare Before Christmas. Most of them liked it, two of them thought it looked funny and weren't fans but when I asked if they liked the music they said yes. 

Edited by wattage
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HummingLemon496 said:

WB took half of the profit from Joker 1's $437M. So originally it was +$218.5M, but once Joker 2 loses like ~$175M (I'm just guessing) the net profit of the franchise will be around $40M or so. Ouch.

You're not making an apples to apples comparison because you're including co-financers for part 1 but not part 2. If we assume Domain Pictures, LLC got 25% for a 25% investment (basically taking bron or VR's place individually), that's a ~50M investment lost that's on WB's balance sheets.

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

41 minutes ago, wattage said:

Transformers is gonna make more money than Terrifier most likely and Wild Robot will make more than Smile. The dual success is due to the extremely low budgets but in terms of admissions both of those family films are seeing more business and also in terms of actual gross they'll be higher too most likely. I think that speaks to the fact that a dearth of family options will drive families to theaters, whether that's enough for the studios is another story. Clearly not great for Paramount in this case. 

I really don't see how TFOne makes money unless you're talking merch. Terrifier is pretty much pure profit given it was a cheap indie.

1 hour ago, wattage said:

Also, Beetlejuice clearly was something of a family draw as well, and the Coraline rerelease also held family audiences over to a certain extent in the August doldrums. When TF One came out I don't think family audiences were really super starved for new content. 

40 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Also, Beetlejuice clearly was something of a family draw as well, and the Coraline rerelease also held family audiences over to a certain extent in the August doldrums. When TF One came out I don't think family audiences were really super starved for new content. 

Everyone except Paramount thought moving TOne to August would have been a smart.