Eric is Gay for Venom

VENOM: THE LAST DANCE WEEKEND THREAD

15 minutes ago, Mickiland16 said:

Just a random question but since this is the Venom weekend thread, other than Joker is there any CBM villain that could get a movie as big as the first Venom? Or at least close to that 

Dr. Doom

Magneto

Thanos (when MCU was at its peak)

Loki

The Venom movies are not great but they are a really fun time at the movies, something that could not be said about Morbius or Madame Web. The third one opening to ~$60m after so many superhero movies have absolutely bombed recently is a great result for the movie. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Mickiland16 said:

Just a random question but since this is the Venom weekend thread, other than Joker is there any CBM villain that could get a movie as big as the first Venom? Or at least close to that

While I don't think that it would reach the first Venom's box office, I do think that a Thanos movie would at least be profitable, as we only saw bits and pieces of his story and people found him very complex and compelling. The problem would be the same issue that the Black Widow movie had coming after her death. Other big name villains like Lex Luthor, etc. that everyone has heard of, are tougher to pull off because they've usually had a more one-dimensional portrayal - although I guess a great script could fix that
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Couldn’t find the thread for it but I watched We Live in Time instead of Venom 3 last night and it was pretty bad. People gotta start expecting more out of their romances

Well it's hardly gonna do Titanic numbers (or even Anyone But You numbers). Have to wait and see how its legs are like but I think it is encouraging that starpower still matters to an extent for low-key indie dramas.

Good to see Venom: The Last Dance do a bit better in previews. This makes $60M an achievable number to hit for the weekend if it has an IM of at least 7x. If we go by Charlie's estimated IM last night, that'll give The Last Dance a $62M opening and though that's not as high as the first two Venom movies, it's still fine. 

I said this in the tracking said, but I'll say it again regarding why the movie isn't opening on the level of the first two. The idea that Deadpool and Wolverine sucked up all the oxygen is an entirely plausible reason for this coming in a bit short of expectations, but I still firmly believe it's due to the film being apart of a universe that is almost unanimously considered to be bad. 

It makes me wonder if the film would've opened any higher if Morbius and Madame Web didn't exist and Sony instead just focused on Venom as its own standalone franchise and not try to turn it into a possible Spider-Man villain cinematic universe. As it stands though, the SSU (or whatever Sony calls it) unfortunately now has a reputation for terrible movies and that probably carried over to the Venom franchise since it's in that universe. 

• Like 1

We Live in Time and Conclave are likely going to end up finishing with higher totals than the likes of The Bikeriders, Fly Me to the Moon, and Saturday Night despite those movies having stronger marketing firepower behind them as major studio releases. Just goes to show that the drama isn't dead, it's just evolving (like the rest of the industry is).

5 minutes ago, Mickiland16 said:

I have to admit, it’s kind of refreshing to see a take from this guy that isn’t “EVERYTHING IS DOING AMAZING THE STUDIOS ARE OUR SAVIOURS”

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

We Live in Time and Conclave are likely going to end up finishing with higher totals than the likes of The Bikeriders, Fly Me to the Moon, and Saturday Night despite those movies having stronger marketing firepower behind them as major studio releases. Just goes to show that the drama isn't dead, it's just evolving (like the rest of the industry is).

I wouldn't even really say it's evolving. It's just that audiences are becoming frustratingly picky with the kinds of dramas they will see. 

Though I guess it helps that We Live in Time and Conclave are movies that actually take place in modern times and aren't focusing on a specific event that happened in the 60s or 70s. 

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

I can't imagine Kraven doing very well after how much it's been delayed. Numbers similar to other schlocky action titles released around Christmas ala 47 Ronin or Assassin's Creed feel like its best case scenario.

I was being sarcastic. This thing will flop so bad and I can't help but enjoy seeing the Shit-Verse imploding.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mickiland16 said:

If it's collapsing internally I could see it hit low 50s. Like I said last night, not the worst result but if it misses 60 then Sony should just call it a day on this stuff.