Shawn Robbins

May 4, 2012 Weekend (AVENGERS Opening Discussion): ACTUAL 207.4 mill!!!!

Yeah thats just silly though and he knows it.

But he has dug his heels in even more on it over the last 4 years. Insists TDKR has to make more than TDK to "prove" that Ledger's death wasn't the sole reason for the movie making so much more than Batman Begins. Problem with that logic is even his own prediction of $375m for TDKR is $170m above Batman Begins' total. That's without the Joker and without Ledger's death. If his death was the only factor, then surely TDKR should drop to $205m. :lol:

I guess we need to start talking 500 Million for this

LOl, $500 mio and upwards has been talked about in the last 10 pages. Things move really fast in this thread. :lol: Edited by fishnets

• Founder / Operator

$500m is a virtual lock as long as actuals are over $200m this weekend. Can't imagine this having a lower multiplier than Iron Man 2, especially with the severe lack of competition this month until Memorial Day.

Neo and BJ insanely overpredict every single movie. And since I'm not either of them, why would you bring up TH at all, in a discussion about TA, TDK, TITANIC, and AVATAR?

Don't act like BJ and Neo were the only ones to overestimate movies. Jiminy Christmas.

But he has dug his heels in even more on it over the last 4 years. Insists TDKR has to make more than TDK to "prove" that Ledger's death wasn't the sole reason for the movie making so much more than Batman Begins. Problem with that logic is even his own prediction of $375m for TDKR is $170m above Batman Begins' total. That's without the Joker and without Ledger's death. If his death was the only factor, then surely TDKR should drop to $205m. :lol:

Thats because he knows TDKR has little chance of beating TDK (well imo anyway) so he's saying that to look like he's right, he's a big wum at times.

2 years ago I thought that 200M wouldn't happen for a very long time. Then last year Harry Potter's enormous opening day made me realize it would be sooner rather than later, and even with how much I was anticipating this movie, I never thought this would be the first to do it. I'm very pleasantly surprised!

$500m is a virtual lock as long as actuals are over $200m this weekend. Can't imagine this having a lower multiplier than Iron Man 2, especially with the severe lack of competition this month until Memorial Day.

Agree with this. It has a legit shot at $600m IMHO.

The Ledger death was a factor for sure...but not the factor. You also have to factor in the Joker being the villain. The public loves the Joker...the top two grossing Batman movies are Joker movies. Then there is Ledger's performance...which was very good. I also think BB was better than TDK, but the latter was still well made. (A little overlong for me)

TDK was a perfect storm really....Ledger's death being one of the big lightening bolts. :)

Agreed completely.
  • Like 1

Don't act like BJ and Neo were the only ones to overestimate movies. Jiminy Christmas.

Of course not. But I go back to my point: why, in a TA/Avatar/TDK/Titanic discussion is TH being brought up as a wildly over predicted, blindly praised film when only extreme outliers are predicting this? And why use it to try to discredit my argument when I'm not the one making those predictions?

I liked the first FF movie (mostly because of the great chemistry between Johnny and Ben), but the 2nd one was horrible to me. They actually found a way to screw up the Silver Surfer. :o I would love to see what Marvel could do with the FF.

You're scaring me.

All I hear about TDK is that it "transcends the genre"....which is saying it's not a comic book film. Joss Whedon even had a quote in response to that idea, "They always talk about transcending the genre and I don't believe in transcending the genre. I believe in the genre." --Joss Whedon

That's what's so cool about Avengers to me. Whedon is in no way ashamed to be associated with the genre. He elevated the genre instead of transcending it. I'm a little put off by the idea of a comic book movie that doesn't want to be seen as a comic book movie.

THe Joss Whedon quote is amazing and I completely agree with you.

Nolan doesn't care about super heroes and comic books.

It is so obvious in BB abd TDK,

He said it himself, he knows nothing about the artform, its characters or history.

• Like 1

Battleship is so fucked :lol:

Who could? :)

With a rounded 200M OW, maths, percentages and extrapolations will be easy to make.

Last comicbook movie with a 3multiplier was TDK, that's right?

I agree with this statement 100%. Iron man 2 is a baseline to this film. It had a lukewarm reception and paid the price in an otherwise desolate may, not dissimilar to the may line up this year. TA on the otherhand has quite possibly some of the best WOM in the past 4 years.

THe Joss Whedon quote is amazing and I completely agree with you.Nolan doesn't care about super heroes and comic books.It is so obvious in BB abd TDK,He said it himself, he knows nothing about the artform, its characters or history.

Also agreed. BB was ony amazing because Goyer was involved in the writing, and that's the biggest ausence in the second Nolan's Batman, the guy who truly got the character wasn't involved anymore.

Also agreed. BB was ony amazing because Goyer was involved in the writing, and that's the biggest ausence in the second Nolan's Batman, the guy who truly got the character wasn't involved anymore.

You mean the guy who chose to put in a wise crack by Lucious Fox making fun of Bruce's lack of intelligence? Neither one of them completely get it IMHO. Bruce is supposed to be a genius and neither movie portrays him that way. But I still feel the tone is right, and they finally gave us a great Jim Gordon. Nolan deserves credit for that, not criticism. Edited by redfirebird2008