Shawn

May 4, 2012 Weekend (AVENGERS Opening Discussion): ACTUAL 207.4 mill!!!!

I hope it happens. Then the attendance record is for sure broken. :D

Even if it does, I don't see TDKR missing it. 200M? Maybe not, but it will take the attendance record

Man, your complaints about Nolan's Batman are exactly the same as mine. Don't take me as a Marvel fan, I' a comic book fan firs and foremost. I think in some sense I'm even more extremist than you, since I think that besides Batman Begins is the best live action outing, Mask of the Phantasm is THE Batman adaptation of all time so far. I give Nolan credit, but TDK is horribly overrated, same for Inception. BB and The Prestige are the best movies Nolan has ever done imo, and not always having complete comtrol over a movie direction is the best thing it could happen for it.I give Nolan credit, but knowing that Batman can and should be so much more pisses me off.

I don't think you're more extremist than me. BB and Mask of the Phantasm are the best Batman movies and indeed the best comic book movies I've seen.

Even if it does, I don't see TDKR missing it. 200M? Maybe not, but it will take the attendance record

This will be close.. and fun!

Imagine the meltdown and anger on this board if the actuals come under $200 million.

I don't think you're more extremist than me. BB and Mask of the Phantasm are the best Batman movies and indeed the best comic book movies I've seen.

Best comic book movies out of Batman by far, with Mask having the edge.

I really need to watch Mask of the Phantasm! My problem with TDK is just that Batman gets overshadowed by the villians in his own movie. That's why I like BB more than TDK, because the focus was truly on Batman. The villians were not as strong but they were still well done. Just once I'd like a well made Batman movie where he's the strongest and most interesting character in it. This is one thing I loved about TA. Loki and the Cherauri don't overshadow the Avengers and Shield. They're just as well written and strong characters as the bad guy was and in a couple cases better.

I really think it's going to end up at $205m or higher with actuals. Sunday sellouts are crazy.

Yep. I agree. I said this would be at 204 and I stand by it.

Imagine the meltdown and anger on this board if the actuals come under $200 million.

They won't. Sellouts are crazy here today. Would not be surprised if it is over $55m for Sunday.
  • Like 1

I'll use Mav's term....I guarantee it will not finish with less than 200....it just won't.

All the poesy talk about SM again 10 years later..flushed in the toilet!

David S Goyer is a hack. Batman franchise is better off without him.

$204m would be incredible. I'm just nervous that someone is fudging to get the press rounds going today about $200m, but we actually end up with something like $198.5m tomorrow. I don't really think that's happening, but, its totally a realistic scenario.

Edited by ShawnMR

David S Goyer is a hack. Batman franchise is better off without him.

Goyer came up with a pretty good origin story in Batman Begins. Deserves credit for that, despite his various flaws as a writer.

$204m would be incredible. I'm just nervous that someone is fudging to get the press rounds going today about $200m, but we actually end up with something like $198.5m tomorrow. I don't really think that's happening, but, its totally a realistic scenario.

That happens and I will shoot everyone at Disney and Marvel. Just saying.

With 200 mill, there is so much Peurto Rico that can be done to keep it over this number. And if you look at the Sunday drop they have it projected at 28%. IMHO (maybe not so humble,,,lol) there is no chance in the world it drops 28% today. It will probably drop Spiderman 3 or maybe even less..

Yep. I agree. I said this would be at 204 and I stand by it.

How big is Puerto Rico anyway ???

How big is Puerto Rico anyway ???

Not sure if you are kidding, but PR here is a joke that dates back to Transformers 2. Check this out:* Note: Revenge of the Fallen's weekend gross fell $3 million short of Paramount's Sunday estimate, which would have put the five-day opening at $198.2 million. Though shy of $200 million, it would have still ranked second among the all time five-day starts. However, Paramount revised its grosses from Wednesday and Thursday upward, and that's what pushed the total past $200 million. Wednesday went from $60.6 million to $62.0 million, and Thursday went from $28.6 million to $29.1 million. Paramount reported that the differences came from unreported showings from the movie's midnight openings on Wednesday night, which went from the previously reported $16 million at around 3,000 theaters to $16.8 million at close to 3,300 theaters, as well as late reports from institutional IMAX locations and theaters in Puerto Rico and some Caribbean islands (which the studio counts in its domestic numbers), which accounted for $1.1 million of the difference.http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=2601&p=.htm

With 200 mill, there is so much Peurto Rico that can be done to keep it over this number. And if you look at the Sunday drop they have it projected at 28%. IMHO (maybe not so humble,,,lol) there is no chance in the world it drops 28% today. It will probably drop Spiderman 3 or maybe even less..

The sellouts I'm seeing in my area do not support anything other than actuals going up. Would be stunning to me if the actuals drop. I honestly think sellouts here right now are pretty much as strong as yesterday.