Shawn Robbins

May 4, 2012 Weekend (AVENGERS Opening Discussion): ACTUAL 207.4 mill!!!!

Not sure if you are kidding, but PR here is a joke that dates back to Transformers 2. Check this out:* Note: Revenge of the Fallen's weekend gross fell $3 million short of Paramount's Sunday estimate, which would have put the five-day opening at $198.2 million. Though shy of $200 million, it would have still ranked second among the all time five-day starts. However, Paramount revised its grosses from Wednesday and Thursday upward, and that's what pushed the total past $200 million. Wednesday went from $60.6 million to $62.0 million, and Thursday went from $28.6 million to $29.1 million. Paramount reported that the differences came from unreported showings from the movie's midnight openings on Wednesday night, which went from the previously reported $16 million at around 3,000 theaters to $16.8 million at close to 3,300 theaters, as well as late reports from institutional IMAX locations and theaters in Puerto Rico and some Caribbean islands (which the studio counts in its domestic numbers), which accounted for $1.1 million of the difference.http://boxofficemojo...?id=2601&p=.htm

Someone mentioned the Northern Mariana Islands the other day. Hilarious. I'm rooting for Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, America Samoa, etc to keep us over $200million for the Actuals! :)I think Iraq and Afghanistan boxoffice totals should count toward Domestic as well. *ducks for cover*:)

For me, only Avengers, DH2, SM3 and JP3in theater

Only JP1 & 2 broke the record on the Big Screen, I'm still trying to forget JP3 since the day I saw it on the Big Screen. One cool thing about the OW Record is it really jumps at certain spots. Like from JP2 to Harry Potter, almost 20 Million. It became steady in 2000's but it jumped like 30+ Million from Harry Potter to Avengers and it jumped 11 Million from TDK to HP8. It's interesting to look at the increases. The Lost Word and Spider-man hold the record for longest years at over 4. It's crazy that Ghostbusters II broke the record and a week later Batman did it. My biggest head scratcher was "Batman Forever", I remember being 15 and people were upset nobody from the 1st two were coming back but Jim Carrey was huge at that point after Ace Ventura and The Mask so I understand it.

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/pastrecords.htm

Edited by filmscholar

I am an observer. I was "here" in the late 90ies to watch the (late) Titanic madness and the TPM attempt to beat it.Came back for Spiderman, LOTR and the other Star Trek Sequels.POTC, Shrek and the Dark Knight followed.And then there was this incredible blue ride over several month, with an average drops of only 17%...in 2010It was nice to re-watch all these events, but the Avengers will top them all .. ! :lol:

Edited by chaos

Only JP1 & 2 broke the record on the Big Screen, I'm still trying to forget JP3 since the day I saw it on the Big Screen.

Sorry, my mistake...I just have a glance at the post above, and JP3 came to my mind when I saw Jurassic Park. :P

Going back to Batman '89 when I was 3, I've seen every record breaker in the theater except for the two Potter flicks. Sorry Noctis. :P

I've grown to appreciate potter but during the whole decade ride I've honestly only seen 1 Potter film on the Big Screen. And from my potter fanatic friends they tell me I got it right cause it's the best one, "Prisoner of Azkaban", ironically it's the lowest grossing one domestically. But I caught up on the whole series on DVD, and I missed out, great series.

So you watched only non-Hollywood movies before 2001?

I think so. I was not even in high school at that time...In fact, only after 2006 when Kingkong was released in China, I became a frequent cinema moviegoer. At that time, the preliminary reason was only due to dating. :PI became a box office follower after 2007, the famous big three you know. :D

I saw all since SM1 at the theatre, and I was at the midnight shows for TDK, DH2, and Avengers.

Which was the best experience for you? Which had the best audience?