CJohn

Weekend estimates thread TA 103,052,274!!

I get angry when people bring up admissions. Admissions to me are not fair, especially when it comes to TDK which no one seemed to want to talk about when it broke all kinds of records. And with Avatar, yes, thank you for the article, which i had never read before, but part of the reason Avatar sold as many tickets as it did is because it was in 3D. Would TDK have sold anywhere near that if it was in 3D? Probably not.Look, Avatar is not in my top 100 films of all time, probably not my top 250 either. Titanic and TDK both are. So this has nothing to do with any bias. But to me, money is money. When you gross as much as you do, its' because people were willing to spend money on your film. So good for TDK that it made 500 mill and good for Avatar than it made 750 mill.

Avatar was like a theme park attraction. Nobody had ever seen anything like it. It was the ultimate tie-in for the 3D format. Not just a movie, but a demo. Completely different to Dark Knight which was just a movie - albeit a massively anticipated one. Baumer you're right. And it took me a while to try and ignore the admissions argument for this kind of thing. It gets even murkier when you have different ticket prices for different movies nowadays. The only way you can judge it is on dollars. People still have to part with it. Hell, you can argue Titanic wouldn't have sold as many tickets as it did if it was as expensive as it is today. Different era. We're in a recession for crying out loud. That's got to count for something?
  • Like 1

I didn't say it sold less than 71m. I said it sold around 76m, 5m more than TDK.

Oops, I was under the impression that you though dark knight sold more tickets. My bad.

This is exactly how I feel too. It's like the Nolan loonies forget that there are about 30 films that made more money than tDK adjusted. It's not the highest grossing film of all time. They get obsessed with such silly minutia at times.

I know you've finished with this, but I was just pointing out your error. I wasn't suggesting that TDK is anywhere near the top.

This is exactly how I feel too. It's like the Nolan loonies forget that there are about 30 films that made more money than tDK adjusted. It's not the highest grossing film of all time. They get obsessed with such silly minutia at times.

Go tell that to Shawn then, you know the owner of this site. He's every bit as interested in admissions as some of us. I think it's shameful that you play the "shoot the messenger" game instead of actually listening to the message. You're a moderator and should be above that kind of stuff.

Avatar was like a theme park attraction. Nobody had ever seen anything like it. It was the ultimate tie-in for the 3D format. Not just a movie, but a demo. Completely different to Dark Knight which was just a movie - albeit a massively anticipated one.Baumer you're right. And it took me a while to try and ignore the admissions argument for this kind of thing. It gets even murkier when you have different ticket prices for different movies nowadays. The only way you can judge it is on dollars. People still have to part with it. Hell, you can argue Titanic wouldn't have sold as many tickets as it did if it was as expensive as it is today. Different era. We're in a recession for crying out loud. That's got to count for something?

It's always good to keep a tab on admissions to keep things in perspective.

Go tell that to Shawn then, you know the owner of this site. He's every bit as interested in admissions as some of us. I think it's shameful that you play the "shoot the messenger" game instead of actually listening to the message. You're a moderator and should be above that kind of stuff.

I'm not above calling someone a loonie you oversensitive baby. If you want to report this post too, then be my guest. Calling someone a loonie is not flaming, it's part of the vernacular of this site and every other site I've been on.