Zootopia weekends

WK1 ¥445,804,900 ($4.0 million), NEW
WK2 ¥509,699,700 ($4.8 million), +14%
WK3 ¥386,775,600 ($3.6 million), -24%
WK4 ¥458,930,800 ($4.3 million), +19%
WK5 ¥504,073,100 ($4.6 million), +10%

• Like 6

10 hours ago, No Prisoners said:

@Olive is usually conservative. I'm not if I see something interesting in the numbers.

I think it bumps at least one more time then worst case holds flat. Corpse will call for another 15% drop. I'll lock $100m/$1.05B topping PotC, Olive will say 80m and @catlover would say "100m is not locked!" @Quigley will have his doubts but hope and @Omni will have digestion problems. The DVD get released in July and stops the run shy of $100m. Everyone gets disappointed,  Omni loses weight. @edroger3 and I will argue over the DVD release affect, like I'm arguing about piracy with the loons in the cap threads, insult him and get banned.

I think $100 has a good chance. Not going to lock it. I will donate $20 if it doesn't make though. 

Better yet let's do a contest

Pick a final gross for Japan total in dollars. $20 gift card and $20 fandango gift certificate or other international site

Don't worry, I have no word about the DVD release of Zootopia. This is a totally different situation. For Frozen it was a merchandise-related choice: at that time the request for related items was so strong that Disney tried to get the momentum for have a record sales as was happening in other countries (in fact it became one of the fastest and biggest seller ever in japanese HV market). Zootopia instead, even if it is a great movie with a great run, for now is a merchandising "bunny".

2hpu2o2.png

Edited by edroger3
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Max said:

I am really impressed by the high predictions.

The movie was released a month ago, so I will go for $80 million for Japan. It is hard for me to imagine a movie making three times the score it is currently making ($42.8M) in the months to come.

My prediction is mostly for saliva and chuckles, althought I do honestly think that Frozen type insanity can still happen.

I roughly thought Zoo will make at least half of what Frozen did in Japan (around $120m) and set my target at $100m.

As it is crystal clear now that Zoo has the potential to go all the way to reach that mark, my guess is $124m.

Edited by Jack
Grammatical correction

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

Lol, what does that even mean?

It means that  in the case of Frozen, Disney was following mostly the merchandising side, that reached unseen level, while for Zoootopia, which isn't a merchandise giant (but just a "bunny"), they should follow mostly the teathrical run.

Obviously I absolutely will not judge the quality of an animated movie basing on the success of its toy sales but many choices of studios are driven by this: why Pixar made four movies of Cars/Planes franchise while other way better movies haven't any sequel? Cars was a merchandise monster. Why among the Disney/Pixar of 2015/16 TGD is those which has more chance to have a sequel? Adults loves IO and Zoo but childrens still loves dinos more. 

25 minutes ago, Jack said:

I roughly thought Zoo will make at least half of what Frozen did in Japan (around $120m) and set my target at $100m.

As it is crystal clear now that Zoo has the potential to go all the way to reach that mark, my guess is $124m.

Is that your final answer for the contest?

1 minute ago, edroger3 said:

It means that  in the case of Frozen, Disney was following mostly the merchandising side, that reached unseen level, while for Zoootopia, which isn't a merchandise giant (but just a "bunny"), they should follow mostly the teathrical run.

Obviously I absolutely will not judge the quality of an animated movie basing on the success of its toy sales but many choices of studios are driven by this: why Pixar made four movies of Cars/Planes franchise while other way better movies haven't any sequel? Cars was a merchandise monster. Why among the Disney/Pixar of 2015/16 TGD is those which has more chance to have a sequel? Adults loves IO and Zoo but childrens still loves dinos more. 

I was only a little confused, because there's a thing called the Energizer Bunny that just keeps going and going.

But in fairness, Pixar only made two of those movies. DisneyToon made the Planes theatrical commercials.

14 minutes ago, edroger3 said:

I see your point and where you were going with your theory that merchandise sales affect studios to produce sequels but TGD is just a wrong example for that. Even with the dino-freak children on its side TGD happens to be the biggest financial failure in Pixar history and it was also bashed by critics so I highly doubt that it has a better chance for getting a sequel than Zootopia or Inside Out, or as a matter of fact, any other recent Disney/Pixar releases. That, and also Pixar's schedule is full till like 2020 so... 

8 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I was only a little confused, because there's a thing called the Energizer Bunny that just keeps going and going.

But in fairness, Pixar only made two of those movies. DisneyToon made the Planes theatrical commercials.

I repeat: this isn't love/hate. I work in toys/entertainment market and I say which I see every day. Stop. If in my shop the products related to Zoo or IO  would sell more than those of Frozen I would be the happiest person on earth. But, unfortunately, they sell one hundred times less.

@No Prisoners Shouldn't we give our answers in local currencies? I mean, with how volatile the yen has been lately, I'm sure that by the time Zoo's run is over (in months), the yen gross will be quite different than what it would have been now.

Either way, my answer is ¥10B in lc, $91 million in USD. A bit more than BH6 and the first animated movie to reach that mark since Frozen. I don't quite see it reaching SW7's gross (¥11.58B) at the moment.