Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

Aren't studios wary of piracy? India used to get movies 2-3 months later as well in the 90s through the early 2000s, then due to rampant piracy they changed the release schedules to day and date, sometimes we now get movies before they release in the US.

Nah.  Piracy doesn't really exist in Japan's market (involving movies anyway).  2012 didn't see a single arrest over this.  Not sure about 2013, but I doubt it saw one either.  It might be because the movie market in Japan isn't very big.  I know, it's the world's 3rd largest box-office and was 2nd for decades before China expanded, but the movie industry trails the music and manga industries by significant margins.  Now those two industries have their fare share of problems involving piracy.  

People just don't do it.  There are some local films I'm interested in and attempt to look up online, but you seriously can't find hardly anything even online (torrents or otherwise) until the DVD is officially released.

Edited by Corpse

Nah.  Piracy doesn't really exist in Japan's market (involving movies anyway).  2012 didn't see a single arrest over this.  Not sure about 2013, but I doubt it saw one either.  It might be because the movie market in Japan isn't very big.  I know, it's the world's 3rd largest box-office and was 2nd for decades before China expanded, but the movie industry trails the music and manga industries by significant margins.  Now those two industries have their fare share of problems involving piracy. People just don't do it.  There are some local films I'm interested in and attempt to look up online, but you seriously can't find hardly anything even online (torrents or otherwise) until the DVD is officially released.

What is the size of the manga industry in Yen? Edited by lab276

What is the size of the manga industry in Yen?

2009: 270.3 billion yen ($2.9 billion) / 502.0 million volumes sold

2010: 270.6 billion yen ($3.0 billion) / 508.6 million volumes sold

2011: 271.7 billion yen ($3.5 billion) / 503.6 million volumes sold

2012: 267.5 billion yen ($2.9 billion) / 496.1 million volumes sold

As far as I know, 2013 figures haven't been released yet, but it should have seen a solid boost thanks to Attack on Titan exploding last year (it ranked 2nd for the year with over 15 million volumes sold).

Overall book sales since 2009 has hovered just over 1.1 trillion yen ($13-15 billion) / 1.2/1.3 billion books sold.

Edited by Corpse
  • Like 2

$100 million is possible, but don't go overboard... yet. :P The chance though I believe is quite good.Alice in Wonderland looked like it was going to actually beat Avatar or at least finish over $150 million after three-consecutive weeks above 1 billion yen (only the second film to do this, the first being Howl's Moving Castle), 7-weeks on top, and only trailing three Miyazaki films (Spirited Away, Howl, and Ponyo) for the biggest 2, 3, 4, maybe even 5 week totals. But like many films that have an insane first 4-6 weeks in release, late legs (week 8 and onward) end up generally very poor. By that time though, they're already up to massive figures.

Alice was huge out of the gate but declined out of the gate as well. Frozen has had legs elsewhere, this second weekend increase proves WOM kicked in and it will have legs. I see two huge weeks coming that makes 100m a slam dunk. The real question is will it have the legs to surpass TS3 Edited by mfantin65

Alice was huge out of the gate but declined out of the gate as well. Frozen has had legs elsewhere, this second weekend increase proves WON kicked in and lethal it will have legs. I see two huge weeks coming that makes 100m a slam dunk. The real question is will it have the legs to surpass TS3

Alice had incredible start. Way more than frozen as well. Every movie will drop after a while. Its inevitable. We saw that in Korea as well. Pace it which it grossed 7-8M had you predicting it going after Avatar. But it slowed down fairly quickly. That will happen in Japan as well. Hope it makes more than 100M. But I am sure it aint beating TS3 which had huge benefit of lot bigger 3d ratio, summer weekdays and better exchange rates. But Frozen should be in with a chance to beat TS3 in admissions. 

Alice had incredible start. Way more than frozen as well. Every movie will drop after a while. Its inevitable. We saw that in Korea as well. Pace it which it grossed 7-8M had you predicting it going after Avatar. But it slowed down fairly quickly. That will happen in Japan as well. Hope it makes more than 100M. But I am sure it aint beating TS3 which had huge benefit of lot bigger 3d ratio, summer weekdays and better exchange rates. But Frozen should be in with a chance to beat TS3 in admissions.

I was rooting for it to beat avatar since it was holding well. I wasn't predicting it.just as I predicted 110 since before it opened when most where saying 70-80m and am still saying that will happen. However I am saying that TS3 is very possible based on the first 10days data. For the record you are " sure it ain't going to happen." Many people point out I'm over because I'm optimistic. There are a lot more people stating things after the numbers start rolling in like SK can't get over 50m. China wont surpass 35m no way MU japan gets beat. And on and on. Aggregiously wrong. I'm I wrong when I say SK could mite beat avatar but will do 80m when it did 78m or those that said can't do 50m or 60m. Please.I've been saying 110 from the start because that would equal TS3 admissions maybe 130m and beat TS3 outright. Y'all said that was crazy, not possible, not pixar, not sequel. 60, 70 ,80m at best. Your going to 50-100% off. If it does 115 and I say beat TS3 at 127m thats only 11% away. I've been trading the stock market for 15 years. 97% fail at trading. I've seen many come and go. You have to think big, out of the box, admit when your wrong and get out, and don't use hindsight. This forum is a perfect study for human nature as is trading. The ones that are most negativley opinionated in my business are the ones that don't last long. Funny how it ok to be conservative and say 60m but someone says spirited away and they get a lashing.
  • Like 1

pick a number base on the 10 days data of 28-30m. Let's see who is closer, over or under. Being under doesn't mean anything if your not close.Everyone join in. I'm going optimistic w a TS3 takedown.128m

I was rooting for it to beat avatar since it was holding well. I wasn't predicting it.just as I predicted 110 since before it opened when most where saying 70-80m and am still saying that will happen. However I am saying that TS3 is very possible based on the first 10days data. For the record you are " sure it ain't going to happen."Many people point out I'm over because I'm optimistic. There are a lot more people stating things after the numbers start rolling in like SK can't get over 50m. China wont surpass 35m no way MU japan gets beat. And on and on. Aggregiously wrong.I'm I wrong when I say SK could mite beat avatar but will do 80m when it did 78m or those that said can't do 50m or 60m. Please.I've been saying 110 from the start because that would equal TS3 admissions maybe 130m and beat TS3 outright. Y'all said that was crazy, not possible, not pixar, not sequel. 60, 70 ,80m at best. Your going to 50-100% off. If it does 115 and I say beat TS3 at 127m thats only 11% away.I've been trading the stock market for 15 years. 97% fail at trading. I've seen many come and go. You have to think big, out of the box, admit when your wrong and get out, and don't use hindsight. This forum is a perfect study for human nature as is trading.The ones that are most negativley opinionated in my business are the ones that don't last long. Funny how it ok to be conservative and say 60m but someone says spirited away and they get a lashing.

If you're allowed to make high predictions and defend them with your reasons, then people can also disagree with you and defend their opinions with their reasons (for example, by saying it's not pixar, not sequel etc). They might be wrong in the end, and you are right, because apparently you're the best predictor here with your knowledge in trading stock market, but they didn't do anything wrong.

Besides, I don't think anyone told you it's crazy to predict TS3 number for Frozen. Those "you're crazy" responses were for the predictions involving Spirited Away number, because that is, well, crazy. If someone makes an extreme prediction, of course people will react. It would have been the same if someone had predicted $30m in Japan. It's okay to make extreme predictions, but you have to be prepared for the reactions from others.

Also, you're acting like you're the only one who gets a lashing, and it's you vs. everybody else. A lot of posters here get it too because of their conservative predictions. It's okay to disagree, but please don't play the victim and be so condescending like that. I'm really sorry if I'm being too harsh. Just need to get it off my chest.

Anyway, back to Frozen. 7% increase means $8m weekend? That's great!  :D  Maybe that early report will end up being low again.

• Like 2