Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

Yeah, they were hoping for Golden Week bump, even if it has to face strong competitions, hence the unusual earlier release date than US. But they didn't see Frozen coming, nobody did. Although I still think it will open with more than half of TASM's OW. I mean, under 300m yen would be embarrassing.

True it could open higher but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it miss. The amazing spider-man opened to $7.4 million. Unless it recovers, TASM2 will struggle to reach $3.7m OW, especially since it opened on a friday this time (slightly deflated weekened)

TASM2 is secondary at this point though, a little higher or lower it's still disappointing. All eyes on frozen!

kinezo+Toho+109 

Frozen: 80,974

Roma bath 2: 55,494

Conan: 44,582

TASM2: 41,829

Frozen increases in admissions (thanks to 109) and the gross will certainly be higher with the higher 3D share. 

If sunday acts like LW sunday I don't think it will break $9M

Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 1

True it could open higher but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it miss. The amazing spider-man opened to $7.4 million. Unless it recovers, TASM2 will struggle to reach $3.7m OW, especially since it opened on a friday this time (slightly deflated weekened)

TASM2 is secondary at this point though, a little higher or lower it's still disappointing. All eyes on frozen!

Oh I meant in yen, sorry. TASM opened with 590m yen if I remember correctly. So I thought half of it (295m yen) wouldn't be hard to achieve. I was hoping for at least $4m but it looks like that's not gonna happen. It's all about Frozen now.

ETA: Actually, that's not really that bad for TASM2. It's very popular at 109. Maybe $4m is still reachable? As for Frozen, with higher 3D share, and the fact that last week was Movix day (hence lower average price), even with a drop, it could still increase in revenue. But for $9m it needs a bigger than usual Sunday increase.

Edited by catlover

Toho 3d%, today 15%, last week 5%. Toho multiplier should 68 for today up 5%Saturday3.8m day10.3m week114.9m totStill looking for 10% bump on sunday4.6-5.2m sunday.8.4-9.0m weekendLot of moving parts this weekend with SA,3Dd, spidey, RB2, reduced seats and pre GW.wished it was higher but not bad. RB2 had a lot more seats and sold 28% less tix. Next weekend frozen will have those seats back and will have a record high 8th weekend at or above 10m* I read monday wasn't a working day for everyone.

Edited by mfantin65
  • Like 1

Wait, is ASM2's OW getting beat by Frozen's 5th or 6th or whatever weekend?

Frozen's 7th weekend. But it's hardly embarrassing given the huge phenomenon Frozen is in Japan. What might be embarrassing will be the weekend gross.

Edited by Cynosure

Frozen's 7th weekend. But it's hardly embarrassing given the huge phenomenon Frozen is in Japan. What might be embarrassing will be the weekend gross.

Yea, but it's also getting spanked by two other movies.  And of course it's embarrassing.  This is Spider-man, not some third rate super hero movie.  

Yea, but it's also getting spanked by two other movies.  And of course it's embarrassing.  This is Spider-man, not some third rate super hero movie.  

Spanked is pushing it a bit. Also, the last Thermae Romae movie grossed almost twice as much as the last Spider-man movie in Japan. Conan is also a very popular franchise with last year's second weekend beating Iron Man 3's opening weekend. If it has a decent opening and better legs than the previous movie, then it will be fine.

Edited by Cynosure