Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

I found this surfing..No one japanese has confirmed this."The end of April through around May 5th is called "Golden Week" in Japan since there are many national holidays during this period. Many Japanese offices close for about a week to 10 days, depending on the calender. People take a vacation and travel around the country or abroad, so tourist attractions in Japan are crowded during this time""Golden week technically begins with the Emperor's Birthday on April 29 and concludes with Children's Day on May 5. Many Japanese take vacation time a day or two before and after, so the impact of Golden Week actually stretches to around 10 days.""Golden Week is a collection of four national holidays within a week. Instead of just giving people those four holidays off, many offices end up closing for about 7-10 days, giving their employees a full week of freedom. Even if they’re not given the whole week, many employees will just take time off anyway. The holiday week starts on April 29th and goes through May 5th."Are schools closed starting monday? Idk.Businesses and schools dont typically open for just 1 day. If business are closed and people are traveling then school must be closedmonday could be like a spring break day or a Saturday. Idk that either but the next 10 days will be huge regardless.

TASM2 really should have been expected to debuted at 2, the low buzz, mixed reactions, heavy competition, early release date, opening on a friday all seems to have hurt it's OW

Disagree on Roman bath it's OW was average but it's legs were something else contributing to it's high gross. Also, while Conan may be popular it traditionally drops quite a bit in it's 2nd week. TASM's OW at least should have been able to beat it in it's 2nd week. 

Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 1

According to Mojo, ASM opened to 7.4 mill.  This one looks to open to about 4 mill.

Indeed. But taking exchange rates into account, today the first one would open with $5.7 million. So it's not as bad as the dollar gap suggests.

@Rsyu : Well Roma Bath's first movie having great legs and a good final gross probably helped built the hype for the second movie hence the higher expected opening weekend. I agree about Conan, but I was just pointing out the same thing happened with IM3 last year.

Edited by Cynosure

Indeed. But taking exchange rates into account, today the first one would open with $5.7 million. So it's not as bad as the dollar gap suggests.

@Rsyu : Well Roma Bath's first movie having great legs and a good final gross probably helped built the hype for the second movie hence the higher expected opening weekend. I agree about Conan, but I was just pointing out the same thing happened with IM3 last year.

Big grosses doesn't always equal big OW for the next sequel though and in any case Roman bath 2 looks to be opening around only 100million yen above the first (approx 550million yen) I think TASM2 was expected to open higher than that. 

I read the Japanese forum and people there say some theater managers are regretting

this weekend's screen arrangement. Beginning next Tuesday (GW begins), some theaters will

change the screen arrangement , for example, Frozen and Roman Bath switch the screen.

• Like 2

I read the Japanese forum and people there say some theater managers are regrettingthis weekend's screen arrangement. Beginning next Tuesday (GW begins), some theaters willchange the screen arrangement , for example, Frozen and Roman Bath switch the screen.

They should have regrets. What were they thinking giving 20% more seats to a movie expected to do 20% less. Ray subers must be their consultant.Can you find out in the other forum if schools are closed this entire week? And about businesses? Edited by mfantin65

I found this surfing..No one japanese has confirmed this."The end of April through around May 5th is called "Golden Week" in Japan since there are many national holidays during this period. Many Japanese offices close for about a week to 10 days, depending on the calender. People take a vacation and travel around the country or abroad, so tourist attractions in Japan are crowded during this time""Golden week technically begins with the Emperor's Birthday on April 29 and concludes with Children's Day on May 5. Many Japanese take vacation time a day or two before and after, so the impact of Golden Week actually stretches to around 10 days.""Golden Week is a collection of four national holidays within a week. Instead of just giving people those four holidays off, many offices end up closing for about 7-10 days, giving their employees a full week of freedom. Even if they’re not given the whole week, many employees will just take time off anyway. The holiday week starts on April 29th and goes through May 5th."

We don't need a Japanese person to confirm that. Golden Week is a real thing. :P

Can't believe I'm disappointed by a 1% drop at toho. o.O

Omni. Its already sunday in japan. With presales its over 116.5. Time to change your avatar.keanu!keanu!keanu!

One more day of Alice. No official number has been released :P

They should have regrets. What were they thinking giving 20% more seats to a movie expected to do 20% less. Ray subers must be their consultant.Can you find out in the other forum if schools are closed this entire week? And about businesses?

My friend works in Japan and he says his companyis closed beginning next Monday but this is not the casefor all the companies. After all, some days in GW are notnational holidays. Most schools are closed but no guarantee for all the schools.

My friend works in Japan and he says his companyis closed beginning next Monday but this is not the casefor all the companies. After all, some days in GW are notnational holidays. Most schools are closed but no guarantee for all the schools.

thx As usual, we will have an interesting time figuring out the numbers. Edited by mfantin65

Corpse (WoKJ): 

Toho Cinemas Admissions [4/26-27]

Saturday (04/26)

56,099 (-1.1%), Frozen (Disney) Week 7
39,836 (new), Thermae Romae II (Toho)
32,042 (-50.2%), Detective Conan: The Sniper from Another Dimension (Toho) Week 2
27,694 (new), The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Sony)
19,568 (new), Partners the Movie 3 (Toei)

>Frozen is still being Frozen. Another weekend over 600,000 admissions and ¥800 million ($8 million) is likely unless its Sunday pattern changes.

>Thermae Romae II did well in the evening and night and managed a strong Saturday. It's on par with last June'sMidsummer Formula which went on to open with ¥464.9 million ($4.8 million), the second-highest opening for any live-action film last year. I don't think Romae II will see the drop like Midsummer did on Sunday, and with the higher ticket prices now, it should be able to break ¥500 million ($5 million) over the weekend.

Toho Cinemas Saturday Admissions (Weekend Admissions) [since 2013]

01. 85,115 (167,188) - The Wind Rises (07/20/13)

02. 64,398 (133,273) - Detective Conan: The Sniper from Another Dimension (04/19/14)
03. 59,492 (121,802) - Monsters University (07/06/13)
04. 59,192 (123,606) - Frozen (03/15/14)
05. 51,800 (108,724) - Lupin III vs. Detective Conan (12/07/13)
06. 42,541 (94,650) - Doraemon: Nobita's Great Demon - Peko and the Exploration Party (03/08/14)
07. 42,537 (91,182) - The Eternal Zero (12/21/13)
08. 40,414 (74,131) - Midsummer Formula (06/29/13)
09. 39,836 (??,???) - Thermae Romae II (04/26/14)
10. 38,885 (85,462) - Pokemon: ExtremeSpeed Genesect - Mewtwo Awakens (7/13/13)

>Detective Conan: The Sniper from Another Dimension fell 50% at Toho locations compared to last Saturday. The franchise has never fallen over 40% during its second weekend, but this one just might due to how huge it opened (beating the old franchise record by 18%). It'll be much stronger on Sunday, though, so a drop of 40% or slightly better is still doable. It should earn around ¥450 million ($4.5 million) in its second weekend.

>The Amazing Spider-Man 2 recovered into the evening and night as well, but still looks like it'll miss a ¥400 million ($4 million) debut. But if it can see an increase on Sunday, and has a respectable 3D share (which appears alright), it still has a chance. 

>Partners the Movie 3 was the only one that slowed down into the evening and night due to its much older audience. It still looks on course for a debut over ¥300 million ($3 million), and Toei releases generally do better at non-Toho cinemas, so I wouldn't rule out beating Spider-Man in admissions.

Corpse (WoKJ): 

Toho Cinemas Admissions [4/26-27]

Saturday (04/26)

56,099 (-1.1%), Frozen (Disney) Week 7

39,836 (new), Thermae Romae II (Toho)

32,042 (-50.2%), Detective Conan: The Sniper from Another Dimension (Toho) Week 2

27,694 (new), The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Sony)

19,568 (new), Partners the Movie 3 (Toei)

>Frozen is still being Frozen. Another weekend over 600,000 admissions and ¥800 million ($8 million) is likely unless its Sunday pattern changes.

>Thermae Romae II did well in the evening and night and managed a strong Saturday. It's on par with last June'sMidsummer Formula which went on to open with ¥464.9 million ($4.8 million), the second-highest opening for any live-action film last year. I don't think Romae II will see the drop like Midsummer did on Sunday, and with the higher ticket prices now, it should be able to break ¥500 million ($5 million) over the weekend.

Toho Cinemas Saturday Admissions (Weekend Admissions) [since 2013]

01. 85,115 (167,188) - The Wind Rises (07/20/13)

02. 64,398 (133,273) - Detective Conan: The Sniper from Another Dimension (04/19/14)

03. 59,492 (121,802) - Monsters University (07/06/13)

04. 59,192 (123,606) - Frozen (03/15/14)

05. 51,800 (108,724) - Lupin III vs. Detective Conan (12/07/13)

06. 42,541 (94,650) - Doraemon: Nobita's Great Demon - Peko and the Exploration Party (03/08/14)

07. 42,537 (91,182) - The Eternal Zero (12/21/13)

08. 40,414 (74,131) - Midsummer Formula (06/29/13)

09. 39,836 (??,???) - Thermae Romae II (04/26/14)

10. 38,885 (85,462) - Pokemon: ExtremeSpeed Genesect - Mewtwo Awakens (7/13/13)

>Detective Conan: The Sniper from Another Dimension fell 50% at Toho locations compared to last Saturday. The franchise has never fallen over 40% during its second weekend, but this one just might due to how huge it opened (beating the old franchise record by 18%). It'll be much stronger on Sunday, though, so a drop of 40% or slightly better is still doable. It should earn around ¥450 million ($4.5 million) in its second weekend.

>The Amazing Spider-Man 2 recovered into the evening and night as well, but still looks like it'll miss a ¥400 million ($4 million) debut. But if it can see an increase on Sunday, and has a respectable 3D share (which appears alright), it still has a chance. 

>Partners the Movie 3 was the only one that slowed down into the evening and night due to its much older audience. It still looks on course for a debut over ¥300 million ($3 million), and Toei releases generally do better at non-Toho cinemas, so I wouldn't rule out beating Spider-Man in admissions.

WAit...did you say TASM will miss  4 million. I thought it was headed for 4.3 before. Or am I confused.