25 members have voted

1. 1. Grade The Dictator

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I thought it was fucking hilarious, there are some gross out offensive bits sure, but I laughed out load all the way through. This isn't the sort of film where you care about the plot or anything, it's just really funny. If you're not easily offended I would recommend it to anyone, I see it becoming a cult comedy in the future - so many great lines.B+

Fucking hysterical, and much funnier than Borat and Bruno!

Holy shit, I was crying from laughter during the opening scene (positive/negative HIV), masturbation scene, and when they were on the helicopter. LMFAO.

A

Fucking hysterical, and much funnier than Borat and Bruno!

Holy shit, I was crying from laughter during the opening scene (positive/negative HIV), masturbation scene, and when they were on the helicopter. LMFAO.

A

3 best scenes. LMAO

Very funny and along with the scenes that Noctis memtioned, my favourite part of the movie was at the end when he describes how the US is A DICTATORSHIP. So perfect I wanted to stand up and cheer.7/10

• Like 1

This was pretty great.

Sacha Baron Cohen is perfect as the titular character, and there are just so many funny moments in this. It's certainly better with a large crowd. The one thing I didn't like was the relationship between Cohen and Farris. It felt rather cliched, and the ending felt like somewhat of a cop-out (Though the US Dictatoship monologue was awesome.)

B/B+

Very funny and along with the scenes that Noctis memtioned, my favourite part of the movie was at the end when he describes how the US is A DICTATORSHIP. So perfect I wanted to stand up and cheer.7/10

How'd I know that'd be your favorite part ;)
  • Like 1

There are some really hilarious scenes and lines, but unfortunately there's simply not enough plot or story to back it up. There is, however, an abundance of silliness and stupidity, and this is from someone who loved Borat. C.

• Like 1

How'd I know that'd be your favorite part ;)

Yea I know. Not very surprising, but you have to admit, it was funny and true all at the same time.

It's not nearly as clever, but I laughed just as much during Dictator as I laughed during Borat and Bruno. Neither of those movies hold up very well, so I'm curious to see where this will land for me in a year or so.

As Sacha Baron Cohen vehicles go, The Dictator isn't up to the level of comedic brilliance of Borat, but it is a slight cut above Bruno. The humor is hit-or-miss, but it hits more often than it misses, and it's laugh-out-loud funny when it hits. And as one would expect from the man who brought Borat and Bruno to the screen, it revels in its political incorrectness to the point where some jokes are as uncomfortable as they are hilarious. (However, despite the R-rating and some outrageous moments that accompany it - like the emergency delivery scene in the red-band trailer - the film is positively tame compared to Bruno. No talking penises here.) Given the change in format (which admittedly does make it easier to concentrate on what's happening rather than wondering what's real as opposed to staged or very cleverly edited), Cohen's performance isn't as impressive or as ballsy (no pun intended) as his prior work, but he still succeeds in playing a character whose blissful ignorance of his own, well, ignorance is often hilarious. Anna Faris has some amusing moments playing against type as a socially aware love interest, but the film seems to forget about her during at least a few stretches, but Ben Kingsley might as well be billed with a cameo with how little presence he has in the film. It is too short at 83 minutes with credits and there was probably a good chunk of the film left on the cutting room floor judging by how quickly some plot points are dealt with, but it's a sufficiently enjoyable comedy.

B

I loved this. SBC is the most underrated actor on earth, you cannot see the man himself in these characters. The jokes were funny, as Noctis said, the discovery of masterbation was pure gold, and I loved him noticing his 'executions' in the bar. I thought kingsley and John C Riley were underutilized, as was Aladeen's body double (milking the whores was fantastic!). I wish they didn't cop out at the end and he stayed with a Dictatorship, but eh, it's hollywoodB

• Like 1

This was the 2nd part of my mediocre double feature yesterday. :P

Very few parts of it were funny, It wasn't a bad movie, just nothing all that great either.

C

The Masturbation wasn't funny in my opinion. Nothing creative in this movie. Nothing new. If you have seen the trailer and seen a few of his interviews in character, than don't see the movie, it's all the exact same jokes. Predictable.