darthdevidem01

Been 7 Years Since Ep 3 ROTS!

And it's been 35 years since the best movie in the franchise.I'm not even a whatever you call those biased Star Wars fans who hate the prequels but they are just badly made through and through and I still can't understand the love for Revenge of the Sith. Is it because no one cares about Anakin anyway? Most awfully written change ever. Period. I was shocked how badly it was told and then how much some love it. IMO it's a way for SW loonies to feel happy as though Lucas redeemed himself with the "last" entry into the franchise since they'll never get any more again. Plus I watched these in chronological order so it wasn't even like the prequels had anything to live up to. I remember asking my friend whether I should even bother to continue since the movies got worse and worse. Thankfully I did since A New Hope is a classic. The other two were fun to watch but couldn't match the spirit of ANH plus ROTJ basically recycles ANH's plot and adds teddy bears...

• Founder / Operator

This movie was basically to me what DH2 was for Noctis. The official representation, in movie form, of the end of my "childhood". I grew up watching Star Wars as a little kid, followed the hype and buzz of the prequels starting around 1994, and basically spent most of high school (and a couple years of college) looking forward to each prequel.RotS delivered for me. Is it a perfect movie? Nope. But its a very satisfying one. There are character moments and scenes I would write different in my hypothetical series reboot floating in my head, but I still can't help but enjoy RotS (and AotC and TPM -- though not as much as I used to, admittedly).Can't believe its been seven years already. And ten years since AotC (on May 16). Wow.

• Like 2

I remember I got a chance to see a pre-release screening, with 2K digital projection no less (a pretty big deal at the time). I was able to put aside my general sour feelings for the prequels, and tried to just appreciate the moments that felt right. I had a good time, even though I didn't think the movie was that great.

• Founder / Operator

I think that the amazing thing about it is that even though it came out 7 years ago, its still in the top 10 midnights.

And still the most-attended midnight film outside of Potter and Twilight franchises.

May favorite movie of all time ! I watched it more than 100 times ! CGI is still the best ever on screen, Avatar looks like Cartoon network cartoon compared to this !

• Like 1

May favorite movie of all time ! I watched it more than 100 times ! CGI is still the best ever on screen, Avatar looks like Cartoon network cartoon compared to this !

You are batshit out of your mind.

This movie was basically to me what DH2 was for Noctis. The official representation, in movie form, of the end of my "childhood". I grew up watching Star Wars as a little kid, followed the hype and buzz of the prequels starting around 1994, and basically spent most of high school (and a couple years of college) looking forward to each prequel.

RotS delivered for me. Is it a perfect movie? Nope. But its a very satisfying one. There are character moments and scenes I would write different in my hypothetical series reboot floating in my head, but I still can't help but enjoy RotS (and AotC and TPM -- though not as much as I used to, admittedly).

Can't believe its been seven years already. And ten years since AotC (on May 16). Wow.

Deathly Hallows 2 was also the "end" of my childhood but that's why I was more disappointed than anything. The finale should make you feel emotions in the extreme but the last 20 minutes of DH2 dropped the ball big time. They were some great scenes already and I could forgive all the niggles I had in between that time like you, and other nostalgic fans with their respective series but you can only forgive so much. This was the last film, the emotion of the battle and the supporting cast needed to be felt and that didn't happen. ROTS had that epic score playing over the betrayal which tugged on the heartstrings. DH2 had a beautiful trio escape through the grounds but as I said I've spent a decade with these characters they ALL needed to have a proper send off. Anakin's turn was so badly done it was unforgivable on my part and after you've felt the movie's lost you its flaws become all the more apparent, horrible dialogue, cheese etc.

I remember I got a chance to see a pre-release screening, with 2K digital projection no less (a pretty big deal at the time). I was able to put aside my general sour feelings for the prequels, and tried to just appreciate the moments that felt right. I had a good time, even though I didn't think the movie was that great.

A good cinema experience can partially make up for the otherwise disappointing celluloid.

ROTS proved that Lucas still has it. Unfortunately he had to warm up with TPM and AOTC but ROTS delivered.

It is on par with the old trilogy.

No, just no. I don't even know why TPM/AOTC are so maligned. Their stories are actually stronger on the whole than ROTS...

ROTS had some really good scenes, some of the best SW films.The 2nd half of the film is pretty good...Its a B+ for me...ROTS is a big opener, no doubt its 3-day opening weekend gross would be around TDK, Spider Man 3 attendance.

I'm not even a whatever you call those biased Star Wars fans who hate the prequels but they are just badly made through and through and I still can't understand the love for Revenge of the Sith.Is it because no one cares about Anakin anyway? Most awfully written change ever. Period. I was shocked how badly it was told and then how much some love it. IMO it's a way for SW loonies to feel happy as though Lucas redeemed himself with the "last" entry into the franchise since they'll never get any more again.

Anakin's turn was fine. It was set up in AOTC that he a) thought a dictatorship was a good system of government, b ) wanted more power, c) mistrusted Obi-Wan and the Jedi Council and thought they were holding him back and d) would do anything to save the life of a loved one. Put all that together with the event of ROTS and his motivation for turning to the dark side is easy to understand, if not forgive. I don't get why people have a problem with Anakin's turn but are fine with Harvey Dent's in TDK, which had far less motivation. Edited by Darth Homer
  • Like 1

• Founder / Operator

Anakin's motivations were definitely understandable. If anything, that was a huge strength of the prequels. It was just the execution -- and specifically, the dialogue/acting -- that undermine it at times. The logic of the character arc is wonderful though.

• Like 1

For some reason, it seems longer, but not in a bad way. Basically no matter what, seeing the mask drop down and the breathing start pretty much is something I will always remember and always wanted to see. The movie was still pretty good and easily the best of the prequels which it needed to be.I grew up with the originals and it was nice to see a "continuation" of the series, but I wasn't sad when the prequels ended because I already had an ending with ROTJ.

Since I was 11 when ROTS came out, it was definitely one of the main movies of my childhood - I had watched all the other films not long before and ROTS easily became the culmination of that. For about two years afterwards, I was utterly obsessed with everything Star Wars and also had much easier time viewing the saga as a single whole (I did think, and obviously still do, that TPM and AOTC are inferior to the OT, but not to the extent I couldn't enjoy them and accept them as a major part of the story).That obsession has worn off since, but I'm still an overall fan of the whole story and the universe and ROTS, imo, stands up very well. There aren't more than three or four instances of bad dialogue (AOTC had tons more), the story works, Christensen ups his game while McGregor is the heart of the film and Ian McDiarmid is wickedly fun as Palpatine. Also importantly, CGI has aged much better than in TPM and AOTC and all the action is spectacular. Finally,- Anakin and Padme looking over the cityscape- The mask landing on Vader's face followed by his first breath- The final 5-minute montage culminating in the Tatooine sceneare all the classic Star Wars moments that deserve to stand next to anything from the OT.

ROTS had some really good scenes, some of the best SW films.The 2nd half of the film is pretty good...Its a B+ for me...ROTS is a big opener, no doubt its 3-day opening weekend gross would be around TDK, Spider Man 3 attendance.

Considering it made $50m on Thursday, I always thought that had it opened on Friday, it not only would have taken down SM1, but held the record until SM3. The total gross would most likely have stayed around the same, though.And I still don't get why exactly Fox felt the need to open it in less than 3700 theaters. (Well, just like TPM with less than 3000 and AOTC with less than 3200). Why the hell not 4000+? Edited by Jake Gittes