A Marvel Fanboy

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice | September 6, 2024 | RIP Harry Belafonte

8 hours ago, dudalb said:

Yes, but Keaton is the one who dominates the movie, even when is not on screen.

Ryder and Davis were good. but  O Hara is the one who gives Keaton the competition .

But the ALex Baldwin  charecter was just boring. Pretty clear the in their scenes together that Davis was the much more talented comic.

Though Dick Cavirr has one of the best lines:

"You are a Flake, Delia. You always were a Flake. and If you want to scare people, stick to your sculpture"

And I had forgotten the homage to the Sci Fi Classic Fiend Without A Face when  Delia;s scupltures come to life.

Not for me! He’s great in it though, but I got more laughs and memorable moments from those three actresses. 

Nice to hear O’Hara is the MVP again here in the sequel. 

10 hours ago, AnthonyJPHer said:

100m budget is great considering it’ll open to 100m+ domestically. It’ll easily be profitable… but I’m just kind of concerned with its overseas prospects. I think 100m is absolutely the floor for international considering it’ll open higher in a lot of markets than Twisters did, but I can’t see much higher than 200m OS at most.

Which, with, let’s say 115m OW domestic and decent legs (3x) would be 345m DOM, which should be 545m WW. If it does Twisters OS, it’d be 445m WW, and with 150m OS, 495m. I think on the high end, with 250-300m it could be 595-645m WW. So the range could be anywhere between 445-645m WW, it really depends on the international markets. And how receptive they are to a Beetlejuice legacy sequel. 

$100m is reasonable, it's inflation and the fact the cast and creative are a lot more famous and therefore more costly than in 1988. It's no different to Top Gun: Maverick being more expensive than Top Gun, movies cost more to make now than in the 1980s.

Edited by Jonwo

Beetlejuice seems like a very american phenomenon but OS should do good too because of 1) Jenna Ortega. Not she's like an a-list star in general but the role is similar to Wednesday so young people can connect to that 2) Burton - fantasy movie is a brand sells by itself. 

Edited by vale9001

17 minutes ago, CJohn said:

It feels like at least here in Portugal, Twisters this ain't.

I definitely expect this to perform a whole lot better than that one overseas. While Beetlejuice is obviously going to make most of its money domestically as well, there isn't the huge cultural barrier Twisters came with. That one was one of the most aggresively red-white-blue "MURICA FUCK YEAH" movies I've seen in recent times, and it's tough to argue that caused foreigners to not connect to or be interested in the film at all. This one has cool gothic imagery that has largely the same meaning all over the world. And the main character looks like a crazy clown, an archetype very popular all over the world as evidenced by It and Joker.

4 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Going on digital in October??? Is WB fucking stupid? Isn't the whole point of a September release for this to have this out in theaters for Halloween??

Digital won’t matter just like it‘s never affected any significant movie ever.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Going on digital in October??? Is WB fucking stupid? Isn't the whole point of a September release for this to have this out in theaters for Halloween??

WB has kept pretty consistent with the 45 day window (for their hits at least the bombs get released quicker) which would be an October 22nd digital drop date. But I don't think it'll have an effect. If the movie's gonna play through Halloween it'll play through Halloween.

15 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

You don't think people would want to see a Tim Burton movie in theaters for Halloween?

It will be in theaters still. Although not many because a lot of movies will release until then and big ones. It won't even have the gas for that.

PVOD is a pointless point. Maybe they put it in more theaters for Halloween day or something but otherwise it will be pretty dead with the amount of theaters it will lose to Joker and Venom 2 and all the movie in Between.

If they want to see it in theaters, they will.

Edited by justnumbers
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Gremlins does seem inevitable for a reboot. They've already got a new cartoon based on that

I know,and was not that impressed by the cartoon.

It just did not have the element of crazy you need for this franchise.

Of couse Althiugh I liked Gremlins just fine, I think that Gremlins  2, though it failed at the box office was a much more daring, creative movie. It did Meta and breaking the fourth wall a long time before those were fashionable.

it was probably too daring. People were expecting just more adventures with Gizmo, and got  a lot they were not expecting.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

After this, you can bet Warners is taking a  close look at rebooting/reviving it's other huge horror comedy hit from the 80's "Gremlins".

I would think The Goonies is much more likely to get Beetlejuice type numbers than Gremlins. 

1 hour ago, babz06 said:

I would think The Goonies is much more likely to get Beetlejuice type numbers than Gremlins. 

maybe, but my point is about Gremlins being a horror comedy, which Goonies, although it has some horror elelments, is not.

And I checked the box office, and  Gremlins did over twice the box office of Goonies.

Edited by dudalb

Danny Elfman's rendition of the Beetlejuice theme for the opening titles of B2 is one of my favorite pieces he's ever composed. It's the perfect combination of the original's zany spirit, the progression of recording tech and mixing styles over the decades, and the "we're back bitches" energy.

Edited by OncomingStorm93

WB was trying to push this to debut on streaming. 

WB wouldn't greenlight unless the budget came under $100M (Burton, Keaton, Ryder, O'Hara and Ortega agreed to work for substantially less up front).

‘Beetlejuice Beetlejuice’ Hands Warner Bros. a Lifeline - The New York Times (archive.ph)

Edited by ddddeeee