74 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Brave

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

That's a really terrific analysis. This is what reviews should do- present another perspective on a film (in an evenhanded tone) that could get others to see the movie in a new light. And I agree with a lot of what she's saying about Merida and Elinor and avoiding the genre's tropes. Both were well-defined characters in my eyes. But then Merida turned her mother into a bear, and I lost interest.

• Like 1

It's not exactly top tier Pixar, but I certainly had a great time watching it.

There were some really good scenes between Merida and Elinor. Pixar certainly did a good job of making it the emotional heart of the movie, primarily at the very beginning and end. IMO, some of the scenes where Elinor is a bear came off as kind of awkward. Elinor as a bear, trying to act like a normal human, didn't come off as smoothly as I would have liked. I honestly had an easier time buying a house flying with several balloons in Up.

The plot also felt kind of rushed. Granted, it's kind of a simple story to tell, but the 93 minute runtime seemed to go by quicker than I hoped.

However, the climax scene where everyone and Mor'du confront each other was fantastic, and the movie almost convinces you that Elinor may not be turning back into a human. It was not too original as far as most movie concepts go, but I'll be lying if I said that the scene was incredibly well done.

The humor in the movie was mostly decent. I absolutely adored the triplets, and I'm glad that the Pixar didn't have them utter a single word. However, some of the jokes fell below pixar standards. Butt humor? Really?

Still, it's a really great time at the movies. It's not a perfect film, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

B+/A-, but probably closer to the former.

That's a really terrific analysis. This is what reviews should do- present another perspective on a film (in an evenhanded tone) that could get others to see the movie in a new light.And I agree with a lot of what she's saying about Merida and Elinor and avoiding the genre's tropes. Both were well-defined characters in my eyes.But then Merida turned her mother into a bear, and I lost interest.

Unfortunately the whole bear transformation twist was revealed so long ago. I'm pretty sure I found out while reading about it here. Curse you people.But, despite that, I'm not sure where I stand with this movie yet. Finally got to see it, the last showing (!), and aspects which stand out immediately are the music which was phenomenal and the animation being absolutely beautiful. Regarding the characters, Brave is essentially only about Merida and her mother but then this is no different to previous Pixar flicks where there are really only two characters who are necessary for intense character development. I don't really agree with the dissenters but I did feel something was missing. It definitely felt a little short, not time-wise, as it did feel long, but there should have been more scenes fleshing out Merida and possibly her mother, if it came to it. She is already a strong character but Brave, right now, seems to fall short of the epic category I'd so love it to have. Personally, Pixar should break this notion of having their movies come under 2 hours because of "kids". Kids saw Pirates, Spider Man, Avengers etc. with more violence and certainly much lengthier lengths. Plus Pixar isn't Dreamworks' Madagascar or other juvenile studios where parents could get tired of the immaturity on show. I would also say it is pretty dark though you don't realize it. Having Merida's father potentially kill his own wife is something strong and the bear looked positively evil. Pixar also seem to break genre expectations with her actually standing up to the clans, which was different IMO and having her authority and clarity rather than strength change their minds. Maybe, I too, actually, want another movie. Certainly I really enjoyed Brave, potentially the most even and best movie I've seen this year if we're just talking about Hollywood blockbusters (with TDKR amongst most falling apart at the end) but for the Scottish world and time setting and the relationship, I'm sure there could have been a real eternal classic in there, a movie that would top lists. Maybe there is, and a rewatch could help coax it out. I will say though, Pixar proves they are better than Disney in every way. They may have used a princess to tell their story made famous and popular by the 90s Renaissance but Brave betters them in almost every possible thought. The exclusion of love is certainly refreshing and keep in mind this happens before all the Disney princess worlds. Plus, if Pixar did make a proper love story, it'd beat old Disney's grating squeaky clean, completely unrealistic, shallow and one dimensional stories.

Finally saw Brave. Not bad at all, but seemed to me more Disney than Pixar (some scenes were pure Pixar Joy though). It's true that the story was dark but we took my friend's 7year old son and he was never afraid; in fact he giggled and laughed hysterically half the time. My favourite thing were the 3 little bears!Concerning the story: Very ok, but as a whole and from an adult POV I have to say Brave is not as rewarding as some other Pixar classics. Still better than 3/4 of 2012s animation.

Brave2PMAbout 80% full at a theater that is rarley as crowded.Trailers (all got fantastic reactions):Despicable Me 2: Tons of laughs.The Hobbit: A bunch of "yes!" during the trailers and some nerd went "yay" when Smegol went "My preicious" okay that was me who went yay :lol:Hotel Translvania: Tons and tons of laughs.Wreck it Ralph: Great reaction-looks really funny.Nemo 3D: laughs.Monsters University: Fantastic reaction-looks great.Short film: Not that bad, not the best but still fun and great score.Movie: Very very good. The score was fantastic. The voice acting was good as well. The humor was great as was the adventure. The songs were not that bad either really helped set the mood. Loads and loads of fun. I can see why so many people love this film. To me it did not feel like that big of a pace change as some are saying. The script was well written. Still the music was my favorite part. At times this reminded me of Final Fantasy/Zelda.A+. Pixar's best since TS3 (oh wait :P) Okay it is great and I think this should win a couple of Oscars.The audience LOVED it.

You're so perfect<3
  • Like 1

At times watching this I could have almost believed I was watching Ghibli. (This is not a comment on the relative merits or failings of either company's films), just the animation style. There were more than a few scenes that had a real Mononoke feel to them.The film itself though is alright. Bit bizarre for US anime, bit simple for Ghibli anime. I really wanted to like this and I did in parts but there was something missing. I think it may have been the comedy as Pixar animations have traditionally been some of the best comedies made in any format and this didn't really ever get me chuckling.Overall though it is a nice story and its fun that even in a kids animated film, Billy Connolly still manages to get his arse out on show.